Slade Collections

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Postby SteveB » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:05 am

Oops!! Nearly forgot this one:

:wink: :wink:
"Attention all planets of The Solar Federation!
We have assumed control!"
SteveB

Postby SteveB » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:07 am

Me again!!

My camera is charging otherwise I'd take a picture of the Severn House hardback of Cutthroat but I'll post it as soon as it's charged.
SteveB

Postby krista in ma » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:14 am

Wow Steve! That's a heck of a lot of Slade you've got!

(I hope the posting pics instructions were simple / easy to follow as well as the website?)
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby SteveB » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:19 am

krista in ma wrote:Wow Steve! That's a heck of a lot of Slade you've got!

(I hope the posting pics instructions were simple / easy to follow as well as the website?)

Your instructions were spot on but the site is a bit of kerfuffle to be honest but I think I've mastered it (hopefully)

Thanks for the help :D :D
SteveB

Postby Slade » Tue Jan 13, 2009 12:48 am

Steve,

There's little doubt that you have the best collection of Slade publications around. Even if someone else had a copy of everything you have here, your Letter X edition of DEATH'S DOOR from CD would trump any rival collection.

Winning the "Can I Do It?" game with yourself is the greatest thrill there is in collecting. My first collection, when I was a young boy, was to nail the caps of every soda pop in the world to a board. I collected hundreds of them, and am permanently shoulder stooped from staring down at the ground for discards wherever I went, but alas, the monumental task was too great.

That, however, is how I discovered clear cream soda, not the inferior red kind.

In collecting, the poet got it wrong. A man's reach should NOT exceed his grasp.

Slade
Slade

Postby SteveB » Wed Jan 14, 2009 2:55 pm

Slade wrote:Steve,

There's little doubt that you have the best collection of Slade publications around. Even if someone else had a copy of everything you have here, your Letter X edition of DEATH'S DOOR from CD would trump any rival collection.

Winning the "Can I Do It?" game with yourself is the greatest thrill there is in collecting. My first collection, when I was a young boy, was to nail the caps of every soda pop in the world to a board. I collected hundreds of them, and am permanently shoulder stooped from staring down at the ground for discards wherever I went, but alas, the monumental task was too great.

That, however, is how I discovered clear cream soda, not the inferior red kind.

In collecting, the poet got it wrong. A man's reach should NOT exceed his grasp.

Slade

Thanks for the acknowledgement there big lad! Great to know I'm good at something!

The "Can I Do It" aspect of collecting is my raison d'etre. I do it for me and me alone (well, apart from showing off on the Special X boards now and again :wink: )
I have to admit the thrill is in the chase and not the capture as the latter sometimes feels a bit hollow and empty. Just before Christmas I tracked down a first edition of PKD's "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep". Even as I tucked it away on the book-shelf I thought to myself "What next?" :?
SteveB

Postby PohlSE » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:53 pm

That is one hell of a collection!
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby specialx » Mon Jan 26, 2009 5:42 pm

Funny story about "Horses of Central Park"...I included that book in the first version ever of "Specialx.net" which was called something like "Dark Eye: The Michael Slade Website" (I know, cheesy). When Jay first contacted me, he pointed out that Slade had not written that book. So, a bit embarassed, I quickly took it off the bibliography... We're talking back when the website was still a baby...
specialx
Site Admin

Postby Judy » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:55 pm

Hi Eric . . . That's what I was remembering as well . . . but since Slade hadn't said anything about it in His post - I thought perhaps I hadn't remembered that correctly . . . . :shock:
Judy

Postby Mbwun » Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:07 pm

specialx wrote:I included that book in the first version ever of "Specialx.net" which was called something like "Dark Eye: The Michael Slade Website" (I know, cheesy).

Memory Lane:

How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby specialx » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:24 am

Hey Cathy!

Thanks for the trip down memory lane lol!! I tried to find the website archived somewhere on the web...to no avail...
specialx
Site Admin

Postby Mbwun » Tue Jan 27, 2009 5:13 pm

The Web Archive is your friend specialx, albeit a rather undependable one.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.specialx.net/ (copy and paste the entire line)

(there's a lot of missing connections in there)
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby specialx » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:31 pm

Wow! It goes all the way to 2001...But the "copyright" notice on the front page dates the website to 1999...when that version got created...time flies!
specialx
Site Admin

Postby Mbwun » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:40 pm

My first trips here was the second generation site - without the image I posted above. Signed the questbook a handful of times.

Did anyone ever use the Chat feature? I went in there a few times, but there was no-one around.

Didn't find the message board until months later - there was a ton of stuff on it when I finally found it.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby krista in ma » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:23 pm

Mbwun wrote:Did anyone ever use the Chat feature? I went in there a few times, but there was no-one around.

I remember one time a small group of us picked a meeting time that worked for many and "met" in the chat room. Other than that - I would pop in there every now and then and find it empty.
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

PreviousNext

Return to Sladists Welcome!