New Slade Website

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

New Slade Website

Postby Slade » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:09 pm

Sladists,

A drum roll, please.

Brrdddddd...

The NEW SLADE WEBSITE - completely revamped - is about to go up at www.specialx.net.

Ten years ago, I was giving an interview to a reporter. "What do you think of the Slade Website?" he asked.

"Slade doesn't have a Website."

"Yes, he does."

"No, he doesn't."

"Yes, he does. Where do you think I got all this info on you."

At the time, I was still communicating with a hammer and chisel chipping stone, so he booted up this thing called the Internet, and showed the site to me. The next day, I came into the 20th century.

You know the story. Eric the Webmaster (Board name specialx) missed a train in the Montreal metro, so he bought a book by Slade to wait for the next one. When he searched the Web, he could find nothing on the author, so he started a fan site on his own.

A Website should be fun, not a starchy commercial come-on designed by some businessman for money, who doesn't have a burning interest in his subject.

So Slade - cutlass between his teeth - hijacked Eric's site for The Official Michael Slade Website, and the rest is history. Now, ten years have flown by, and every Sladist who has visited the Website or belongs to this lively Board owes a debt to Eric.

Slade doffs his Stetson and bows from the waist to The Man.

Eric and I have shared fine meals together. It's a testimonial to his Slade savvy that when a new artistic vision began to flourish on the Board, he said, "We should give PohlSE the cyberspace canvas on which to show us what he can do."

Well, the wait is over! So you can imagine Eric the Webmaster and Slade flanking the stage curtains, each with a pull cord in his hands to begin the show.

Show us, PohlSE!

Slade
Slade

Postby dreab trawets » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:52 pm

COOL......
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Mbwun » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:53 pm

Well, I was going to post that I was tapping my toes and waiting impatiently for it to show up, but then it dawned on me to hit refresh.

A very nice job indeed. Congratulations to PohlSE, Slade, and everyone else who had a hand in it.

I think it's safe to say that Simon would definitely have referred to it as "Bloody Brill". :D
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby PohlSE » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:57 pm

I've been thinking a lot about steelclaw while we've been building it... I certainly hope he would have enjoyed it.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby dreab trawets » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:02 pm

He would be the first to put his sliding smileys all over the postS.

And yes he is looking down saying BLIMEY, COR CRIKEY GOV'NOR Etc.

Cool pictures of where some of the books are set as well.
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby e_taylor » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:34 pm

WOW! I love it! So much fun new stuff to sort through.

Great job Steve!
We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight. - HP Lovecraft in From Beyond
e_taylor

Postby Slade » Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:52 pm

As Mbwun has so evocatively described, our weather has been lousy. I'm waiting for a friend who works atop Grouse Mountain to send me a series of photos looking southward down on the city. Then I can point out more of the book sites.

Eventually - be patient, I've got a novel to finish to deadline - there will be shots of Special X HQ, views from DeClercq's and Chandler's homes, the various murder scenes, etc.

MORGUE tells the "story behind the story" of GHOUL, but there's a story to tell behind each novel.

All in good time.

The Sunshine Coast Festival of the Written Arts - and here, we're talking Michael Ondaatje, Jane Urquhart, Margaret Atwood, and writers like that all the way back to 1983 - recently posted this on its site:

One gets an idea of how popular the award-winning psycho-thrillers of Michael Slade are after a perusal of the author’s website. There one finds “Sladists” discussing the books on a very active forum, “Slade Disciples” spreading the gospel according to Slade, and Slade Collectors searching cyber space for first editions. There are thirteen Slade novels currently in print and with titles like, Headhunter, Cutthroat, Ripper, Hangman, Death’s Door, Bed of Nails, and the latest, Crucified, readers can expect scariness, nastiness, gruesomeness, blood, gore and serious page turning—all the elements of a ripping good read.

They're talking about you, Sladists.

So recognize that what you're doing here is being recognized, and that I do have the best fans in the literary world.

Keep spreading the word, far and wide. Now you have the New Website to answer the question: "Who is Michael Slade?"

Slade
Slade

Postby Mbwun » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:13 am

Someone over on flickr has already taken care of RCMP HQ in Vancouver, Slade:

http://flickr.com/photos/jakeinvan/8724 ... otostream/
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby PohlSE » Mon Jan 26, 2009 12:21 am

That is Jake's photo! He hasn't posted anything in awhile but I remember his flickr handle...

I tried to get his permission to post his fan art on the SladeArt site but he never responded to me.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby e_taylor » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:03 am

Jay and others -

First off, congratulations to the Disciples for spreading to word of Slade!

Second, what would you guys think of having a "Collectibles Catalouge" type thing on the site as a de facto reference guide to the collecting of Slade?

I'm thinking a listing of all the first editions, how to identifying, what prices should be on the dust jackets, etc, etc. I know when I was a budding Slade collector something like that would have been a huge help! I have most of the information already compiled, and between SteveB and myself we could have pictures of all the books and most of the ARCs.

Thoughts?
We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight. - HP Lovecraft in From Beyond
e_taylor

Postby Mbwun » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:20 am

e_taylor,

I think it's a good idea, especially since the section where all the different cover art for the books seems to have been eliminated from the site.

It just won't do to have the nice large format picture of the WH Allen hardback of Headhunter missing from the site.

In addition to the English language covers, I'd like to see a comprehensive gallery of foreign language cover art.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby e_taylor » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:26 am

Mbwun wrote:e_taylor,

I think it's a good idea, especially since the section where all the different cover art for the books seems to have been eliminated from the site.

It just won't do to have the nice large format picture of the WH Allen hardback of Headhunter missing from the site.

In addition to the English language covers, I'd like to see a comprehensive gallery of foreign language cover art.

Mbwun -

I had also thought about the foreign covers aswell as the paperback covers, however the identification of say a Russian 1st edition of Ghoul is beyond me. For that reason I was limiting my original idea to 1st edition hardcovers (or if there isn't one paperbacks) and ARCs.

BUT - it would be a shame to ignore the art that is foreign editions (I remember that foreign Swastika cover you shared months ago). So maybe a "Cover Gallery" as well?
e_taylor

Postby Slade » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:40 am

Fear not about the covers that are gone from the old site. You'll note that we are feeding them into the stories on the new site. Which brings us to another matter.

While we sing PohlSE's praises, let's not overlook the artwork by MM and krista. As PohlSE and I get connection ideas, we cannibalize what's in the galleries at SladeArt.

GHOUL is now done. And we have sufficient images for SWASTIKA and KAMIKAZE. But the other novels could use similar visualization. Nothing will happen overnight, so the clock isn't ticking, but if any of you feel in an artistic mood, send stuff to the Slade Art thread, for consideration when I tell "the story behind the story" of that novel.

Slade
Slade

Postby specialx » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:57 am

Jay,

It's always with a lot of pride that I tell people I created this website for you 10 years ago already. Some of my fiends, who've known me all these years, still ask me "So, you still manage that website for that writer?"...and I tell them the whole story and how, now, I'm watching other Sladists take the helm.

Some of you know that a while back, I had to ask MarylandManson and raasnio to manage the forum 'cause my plate was getting too full with the forum AND the website. Then came some personal hardships, so the website suffered because of that (updates and whatnot). That's why I've been away for so long, showing the tip of my nose just once in a while. Fast forward to today...and to what PohlSE has created. He did an amazing job! And I'm looking forward to the next 10 years!!

Long live Specialx.net!!

Still a Sladist, now and forever...

Eric
specialx
Site Admin

Postby Slade » Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:57 am

This will do until we get an image we can post:

http://flickr.com/photos/jakeinvan/8724 ... otostream/

See the corner out front on the right side of the photo? The multi-paned windows just under the tented peak? That's C/Supt. DeClercq's office. Queen Elizabeth Park on top of Little Mountain is at the photographer's back.

Slade
Slade

Next

Return to Sladists Welcome!