RED SNOW: the new Special X thriller

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Postby Judy » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:43 pm

Well I finally finished this early this morning . . . Slade . . . I can't wait to see what you will do for a follow-up after this . . . :shock: :roll: :twisted:
Judy

Postby EZ Rhino » Thu Jan 28, 2010 10:00 pm

I was able to get a copy of the book the day before Christmas and finished reading faster than a cheetah in a hurry. I'm waiting for everyone to read it so I can ask a question about something. Great book though. :D
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby chaos-consultants » Sat Jan 30, 2010 3:27 am

e_taylor wrote:
Bingo! Although I'm holding off on sending ARCs - I'll probably bring them to Bloody Words 2011 though!

Not that value of my Slade books is a huge deal to me anyways - I'd never sell them - but its nice to look at them as capital I suppose.

I guess we'll meet in Victoria next year ! I can give you the tour if you wish!
I don't have any Slade arc's yet but I have almost every Stephen King arc... and I agree the value is more in the completion of the collection! John
"It's worked so far but we're not out yet" - Information Society (Star Trek)
chaos-consultants

Postby e_taylor » Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:08 pm

chaos-consultants wrote:
e_taylor wrote:
Bingo! Although I'm holding off on sending ARCs - I'll probably bring them to Bloody Words 2011 though!

Not that value of my Slade books is a huge deal to me anyways - I'd never sell them - but its nice to look at them as capital I suppose.

I guess we'll meet in Victoria next year ! I can give you the tour if you wish!
I don't have any Slade arc's yet but I have almost every Stephen King arc... and I agree the value is more in the completion of the collection! John

I'd love to see those King ARCs! I used to be a huge King collector, but now only have the Dark Tower signed/limiteds and a signed/limited of the Stand.

If you want to get into Slade proofs, I can point you in the direction of a US Ghoul and a Kamikaze. PM me.
We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight. - HP Lovecraft in From Beyond
e_taylor

Slade reading

Postby chaos-consultants » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:50 am

e_taylorI sent you a PM......

peeps:
I am a slow slow slow slow slow slow reader. In fact I look at ervery letter as I read the word. I absorb the story slowly. I am on page 70 .... but trust me I like to drag it out. Enjoy the story the first time...

Signing Slade????

Chaos !!!
"It's worked so far but we're not out yet" - Information Society (Star Trek)
chaos-consultants

Postby Mbwun » Thu Feb 04, 2010 6:44 pm

Haven't seen Slade around lately. Just wondering if the VANOC Gestapo have picked him up, and are holding him for interrogation. :wink:
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby dreab trawets » Thu Feb 04, 2010 8:35 pm

Helping the police with their enquiries...

Especially if they have found something..
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Slade » Thu Feb 04, 2010 9:40 pm

Have no fear, Slade is here. He's been off signing stock in various book stores before the lockdown kicks in.

If you want a read-between-the-lines measure of official anxiety over the possibility of RED SNOW becoming fact, consider this from the Canadian Press:

OTTAWA - The last time the Olympic Games were held in Canada, the military sent 42 soldiers to operate a logistics and distribution warehouse.

Oh, how times have changed. Back then, the country's solicitor general decided the security threat to the 1988 Calgary Winter Games "was such that security assistance from DND was not required," said a Defence Department briefing note.

The RCMP and local police made up the security force in Calgary.

It seems quaint now, considering the police in Vancouver will be backed up by Afghanistan-hardened JTF-2 commandos and two battle group-sized formations of regular and reserve troops on land. Many of those troops have already deployed to the mountains and forests overlooking the venues.

There will also be frigates patrolling the waterways, CF-18 jet fighters screaming overhead and high-tech surveillance wizardry in the form of static surveillance balloons that are usually employed on the bomb-laced roadways of Kandahar.

In all, the Canadian military will field 4,500 soldiers, sailors and aircrew out of a total security force of 15,000. The federal and B.C. governments have set aside $900 million for the security operation.

You know the ancient Chinese curse: "May you live in interesting times."

Mephisto has that engraved on the wall of his library, which looks a lot like this:

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/mag ... ntPage=all

You'll find the media's reaction to RED SNOW here (scroll down):

http://www.specialx.net/

Slade
Slade

Postby Vcela » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:08 am

Oh, that reminds me, have you seen Mephisto's east coast summer house?

http://steampunkworkshop.com/visit-steampunked-home
Vcela

Postby Slade » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:21 pm

Vcela,

You really do have a grasp on Mephisto.

And while I have your attention, I must press the need for you to take a peek at the British crime series TRIAL AND RETRIBUTION. It's so far ahead of everything else in depicting how the police and courts really work. I know you're deep into the nitty-gritty of real life crime, so if you watch an episode like # 9 called "The Lovers," you'll see how they've used Ted Bundy, the various British "House of Horrors" cases, and particularly, what happened when the Yorkshire Ripper came to trial in the Old Bailey, to mine gut-wrenching gold.

Get into this series and most other programs seem trite in their depth.

Slade
Last edited by Slade on Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Slade

Postby Vcela » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:41 am

Thanks for the tip Slade, I'll be sure to check it out.

As for Mephisto, sometimes you get your finger on the pulse only when trying to staunch the wound. It is your writing that spurs our imaginations!
Vcela

Postby Slade » Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:27 pm

Vcela,

Check the library.

T&R episode # 10 called "Sins of the Father" is the best visual depiction I've seen of how a serial killer is "made." From law, I know the reasons, and I've seen the results, but the show nails it from the killer-becoming's point of view.

Lynda La Plante's writing method is interesting. She creates the fictional crime from real-life cases, then gives her resulting plot to lawyers and asks them what might happen when it gets to court. That's why - from a criminal system professional's outlook - the show is head-and-shoulders above the competition.

She's not writing about what she knows, she's writing about what a whole slew of cops, crime techs, lawyers, and judges know.

Slade
Slade

Postby dreab trawets » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:33 pm

Don't think they budgeted for no snow......

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2010/fe ... lacks-snow

WHOOPS!!
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby dreab trawets » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:21 pm

Aren't they choppering, and trucking it up as we speak.
dreab trawets

Postby Mbwun » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:52 pm

If you ask anyone who knew me back then, they'll tell you that I predicted we'd have one of our warmish, no snow-type winters this year, back when we were first awarded the Winter Olympics. I believe I even said that it would probably wind up being an El Nino year.

Awarding a city like Vancouver a Winter Olympics has got to be one of the dumbest things the IOC has ever done.

We're going to be paying off this debt for decades to come.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

PreviousNext

Return to Sladists Welcome!