RED SNOW: the new Special X thriller

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Postby PohlSE » Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:21 pm

I dunno what yer talkin' bout...

Ahem...

PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Judy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:54 pm

Well . . . that list just about covers all the favorite authors on my own list :wink:

That's why I'm never at a loss for something good to read . . . someone in that long list always has a new book coming out!!!
Judy

Postby Judy » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:09 pm

And Slade . . . . where might we be able to obtain a copy of this book??? I did a local library search and checked out Powell's online and find no reference. I'd like to have a copy myself . . .
Judy

Postby Cawdorgraves » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:38 pm

Oh I am super excited. Getting a wish come true of the return of Mephisto. And well can't wait that long but how did Eric get to read a sample of this novel :P How did he get a key to the golden city? haha! lucky guy.

Again Slade we all wait for the anticipation. Count down continues.

CG
------------------------------------------
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby Slade » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:12 am

CG,

The excerpt is printed at the back of the mass market paperback edition of CRUCIFIED.

The key to the golden city is available to all.

Slade
Slade

Postby e_taylor » Tue Aug 11, 2009 12:26 am

^^^^
What he said!

Although, with any luck I'll be able to track down a proof of this one before its street date. Mind you, I was unable to track down (and still haven't) a proof of Crucified.... so who knows!
We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight. - HP Lovecraft in From Beyond
e_taylor

Postby Mbwun » Fri Aug 14, 2009 4:55 pm

Slade wrote:CG,

The excerpt is printed at the back of the mass market paperback edition of CRUCIFIED.

Slade

I stood in Chapters yesterday, and read the excerpt. Exciting stuff!

But, at three pages in length, it's got to go down as the shortest excerpt from the next novel I've ever seen in a book. :?
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Cawdorgraves » Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:40 am

Gonna have to go check it out this coming week I suppose. Then I will be in the know!

CG
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby marcd » Tue Aug 18, 2009 7:18 pm

Followed Mbwun lead and did the same and WOW! Lets you have a nibble and then you have to starve til January...oh well, I will have to find some sort of sustenance til then!LOL!!
marcd

"It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada. RONNIE HAWKINS
marcd

Postby raasnio » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:48 am

I'm just going to wait. I can't nibble and starve like others can.

:D
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby Mbwun » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:21 pm

Slade,

Just wondering if the Canadian printings of the novel are going to be trade paperbacks like the last three?

The reason being that, taking into consideration the $38.00 price tag on the Viking Canada edition of Jack Whyte's latest novel (which I consider to be rather steep), if it's a hardcover, I don't think I'll be able to afford to get the book until such time as a mass market, or discounted remainder copy is available.

I actually find Penguin/Putnam/Viking's prices to be a little on the high side compared to several other publishing companies' books. And they certainly haven't begun to reflect the increase in value of the Canadian dollar in comparison with its US counterpart in the prices they charge here in Canada.

I've seen several dual-priced books published recently, in which the Canadian price has come down to be way more in line with the increase in value of our dollar.
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Slade » Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:52 pm

Mbwun,

RED SNOW will be published in trade paperback, at about $24 Canadian.

The cost of a 1st edition should be around $25. That's what a hardcover costs you in the States. When the Canadian dollar sank to 62 cents U.S., the cost of importing American books went through the roof. Americans still paid about $25, while Canadians bought the same book for almost $40. Eventually, the Canadian dollar rose to its current level of around 90 cents US, but the cost of hardcovers - both imported and home printed - never came down.

Slade is a populist. He writes for readers, period. That's why Slade novels now come out in trade paperback. To keep the cost at what it should be for every published author: about $25.

Slade
Slade

Postby Mbwun » Sat Aug 22, 2009 5:09 pm

Thanks Slade - that makes it the same price as the last three. I wish your books would show up at Chapters with one of those "x% off bestsellers" stickers - that would really make it affordable.

The Putnam published hardcover of Jack's latest is priced at $27.95 US, with its Viking Canada counterpart priced at $38.00. Those prices both seem a tad on the steep side to me.

Luckily for me, I saw it at PriceSmart (the grocery store chain), as their featured book sale item, for $24.97.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Judy » Tue Sep 01, 2009 5:56 am

Slade wrote:CG,

Slade

I guess I got confused about just exactly which edition had the excerpt . . . because I bought the hard cover and the paper edition of CRUCIFIED and when I looked in my paper copy - there was no excerpt . . . then I came back and noticed that you stated the MASS MARKET paper edition . . . I haven't seen that copy!! :roll:
Judy

Postby e_taylor » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:27 pm

This is the cover for the mmpb with the excerpt:

We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight. - HP Lovecraft in From Beyond
e_taylor

PreviousNext

Return to Sladists Welcome!