RED SNOW: the new Special X thriller

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Postby Brad Smith » Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:30 pm

I'm looking forward to this. Of course, I'm dreading which Spec-X member will be killed off in this novel.

Hell. I'm finally able to forgive Slade for what he did to Alex in Hangman . . . .
Brad Smith

Postby dreab trawets » Wed Sep 16, 2009 9:21 am

I so want this book now....

Multiple killers, mephisto, a lady called Scarlett who leave shrunken heads??
Ebola virus...

COOL
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby marcd » Sat Sep 19, 2009 7:49 pm

OK, Slade, you have whet our appetites...love the preview of the next one... this one looks 'delicious'! :D
marcd

"It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada. RONNIE HAWKINS
marcd

Postby e_taylor » Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:59 pm

Any word on a potential UK hardcover like we saw with Crucified?
We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight. - HP Lovecraft in From Beyond
e_taylor

Postby Slade » Sun Nov 15, 2009 2:50 am

The first RED SNOW reviews are in:

http://www.specialx.net/
Slade

Postby Slade » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:01 pm

RED SNOW will be previewed in a Slade interview on THE BILL GOOD SHOW on Tuesday, November 24 at 10:00 am, Pacific Time. You can click on the Listen Live button here:

http://www.cknw.com:80/

After that, it will be available in the CKNW vault.

Slade
Slade

Postby SickThing » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:24 pm

For anyone who missed hearing the Slade interview on CKNW, I recorded it. You can download an MP3 of the interview here.

Hunter
SickThing

Postby Mbwun » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:02 pm

You can also listen to it here:

http://www.cknw.com/other/audiovault.html

Just make sure you've got November 24, 2009 at 10:00 AM entered into the doo-hickeys.

It was interesting to find out that Bill Good Jr. is a Sladist. Who woulda thought?
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby SickThing » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:16 pm

Mbwun wrote:You can also listen to it here:

http://www.cknw.com/other/audiovault.html

Just make sure you've got November 24, 2009 at 10:00 AM entered into the doo-hickeys.

Just FYI, mine has been edited down to just the interview.....

Hunter
SickThing

Red Snow and Digital Books!!!!

Postby Judy » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:24 pm

Yea!!!! I was soooo glad to hear the subject of digital books come up during the discussion. I think books should be released in both audio and eBook format myself. I've always felt that visually impaired people would so be able to benefit from the digital revolution - as to the fact that wide spread involvement would allow so many more titles available than they usually are able to listen to. Plus an electronic format makes it more usable to people who have difficulty with holding and turning the pages of a regular book.

BRING IT ON!!!!!
Judy

Postby dreab trawets » Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:55 pm

Is that it, just one question. I was waiting for some more.
Good interview though.
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Slade » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:19 pm

d.t.,

That's just the trailer, a preview of what's coming. The main interview, with all the questions, will take place in early January.

Slade
Slade

Postby Slade » Wed Nov 25, 2009 11:23 pm

Judy,

The Kindle and Sony Reader are just the start. The publishing industry has to work out what the dominant format will be. Many are waiting for Mac to produce something elegant and ergonomic. Time will tell, as it alway does.

Slade
Slade

Postby Judy » Thu Nov 26, 2009 3:16 am

Oh Slade,
Apple has already done that with the iTouch . . . I have two free apps on my Touch and am able to read hundreds of books using either of them. I have over 200 titles loaded in eBook format and on my regular two 80 Gb. iPods I load and listen to my audiobooks (because they require more space) . . . now that I have found Audible.com run by Amazon I have joined up for $14.95/month which then provides me with an additional 30% discount on further purchases. In addition I receive 1 credit/month to use to purchase another title for free or I can also rollover up to 6 credits/year to use for future purchases.

I have stated that I will NEVER buy another stand-alone reading device ever again . . . . because of my previous experience in purchasing 2 Rocket eBooks 10 years ago and having them bought out by a company that had no interest in supporting them. They had over 50,000 devices in the marketplace and chose not to continue support or do further development in ePublishing. I now have 2 additional electronic graveyard devices which I can't use and paid approx. $400/each for them.

Unfortunately I believe that corporate greed continues to run the marketplace. Now B&N is bringing in the Nook as direct competition to the Kindle. And this after they already bought out Fictionwise who already had developed the eReader app for the iPhone/Touch. Then B&N dev. a free app so they wouldn't miss an opportunity to reap the benefits of all those devices already out there. Talk about re-inventing the wheel!!!! And their app isn't as good . . . I haven't loaded it and have no intention of doing it.

Even if I was never able to buy another book in eFormat . . . I can still use my iTouch and iPods for many other things. And my iTouch is MUCH more portable than either the Kindle or the Nook. Plus the 2 eReader apps I have allow me to alter my reading experience much more easily than either of those 2 devices. I can change text, text color, background color, look up a word I want defined and many other things. I have a whole entertainment center on both of these devices. I can listen to music, watch movies, play games, read or listen to books, surf the internet, etc. Neither the Kindle or the Nook or any other current stand-alone reading device allows me to do that!!!

:shock: :lol:
Judy

Postby raasnio » Fri Nov 27, 2009 4:01 am

I'm not Apple's biggest fan, but I think eBooks should be designed for use with them. Stand-alone devices are a poor way to go, I think. Better to work with an existing device that does many other things. We all want a all-in-one device that does everything: phone, internet, eBooks, music, videos, etc. Apple has this already.
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Sladists Welcome!