SIWC - Slade event

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Postby Slade » Tue Oct 18, 2011 6:18 pm

John,

Yes. I believe it's 7:00 PM till about 9:00.

Slade
Slade

Postby Slade » Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:54 pm

Hi Sladists,

I'm back from doing MICHAEL SLADE'S SHOCK THEATER 4 at SiWC. As you know, we did "The Monkey's Paw" and "The Dunwich Horror," featuring the usual suspects:

http://www.specialx.net/specialxdotnet/news.html

The packed room, however, got a real treat when Shock Theater's secret Special Guest (only three people knew he was coming) took the stage to play Yog-Sothoth, the Lovecraftian monster.

Who was it?

Ian Rankin! The king of Tartan Noir.

http://www.ianrankin.net/pages/content/ ... ?PageID=12

What a night!

Slade
Slade

Postby messerschmidt » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:47 am

Yeah my first post! Shock Theatre was truly a treat and this was my first SIWC and definitely not my last!

The next night's fantasy themed dinner was also a blast, too bad many did not get dressed up! I wish i could share the photos I have from that night.

Slade, it was great to chat about old punk rock and into new psychobilly! Hopefully we can continue this conversation along with all the other fun stuff about Fakir, piercings and such in the future!
messerschmidt

Postby PohlSE » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:50 am

messerschmidt,

Pleased to meet you, hope you have some fun here.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Slade » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:14 pm

Hi Mess. This is Slade.

Indeed, those were great talks, and we'll advance them. Photos will show up here as the dust settles. For instance, Chaos caught a plane for work early on Sunday morning, and will post when he gets back.

The "Rock & Roll" thread in Media should right up your alley. No doubt, you will add a harder edge...and will be up to the minute. I'm old enough to go back to the birth of Rock & Roll, and have been trying to find the best R&R song. Rock is easy for everyone here to understand, but "& Roll" - "If you can't boogie-woogie, you sure can't Rock & Roll" - is more elusive. Rock covers headbanging, but Roll is the whole body experience.

My current candidate for #1 is this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCTlQ4KxQVQ

So, over to Media, if you want to deal the cards.

Slade
Slade

Postby Slade » Fri Oct 28, 2011 5:17 pm

Mess,

And, of course, our beloved Cramps:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ5PWflZ7y0

Slade
Slade

Re: SIWC - Slade event

Postby Mbwun » Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:25 pm

Hey Slade,

Someone posting on Jack's website just posted something about you getting booted out of some shindig for Diana Gabaldon by some Amazon at the Surrey Conference years ago, before you'd been invited to attend it! Something about you thinking it was the authors' hospitality suite. LOL

:outtahere:
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Slade » Tue Apr 10, 2012 9:43 pm

All true, Mbwun. All true. I went by the sound of the party, not the sign on the door. And I should have twigged from the fact all those in the room were women. But by then I had a large Scotch in my hand.

The next morning, Diana and I had a hearty laugh about that (she had yet to arrive when I got the bum's rush), and that's how we became good friends.

Since then, I've been an honorary member of the Ladies of Lallybroch.

Slade
Slade

Postby Mbwun » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:34 am

LOL

So, now the woman on Jack's message board has posted that another story you like to tell there is something about you getting pinched by your toilet seat.

I'm dying to hear about THAT one! :lollol:

ps. Her name is Vicki (if that rings a bell)
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Slade » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:48 am

You'll find the toilet seat story in PRIMAL SCREAM (DeClercq and Katt = Slade and Rebecca). It's based on fact.

I know several Vickis.
Slade

Postby Mbwun » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:52 pm

LOL

Just found the incident in PRIMAL SCREAM. Must have been quite the shock.

We had a crack in one of the toilet seats at our old place, but it was situated so that it pinched the upper part of your leg. For quite some time, we duct taped it up, until we could get around to replacing it.

For those interested - the episode starts on page 252 of the hardback, and page 272 of the paperback. That's the North American printings.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby jellybelly » Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:24 pm

Mbwun wrote:LOL

Just found the incident in PRIMAL SCREAM. Must have been quite the shock.

We had a crack in one of the toilet seats at our old place, but it was situated so that it pinched the upper part of your leg. For quite some time, we duct taped it up, until we could get around to replacing it.

For those interested - the episode starts on page 252 of the hardback, and page 272 of the paperback. That's the North American printings.

I remember that particular scene and thought to myself at the time, why ?, even though it was cringe worthy and funny at the same time, now i know ha,ha :o
jellybelly

Postby Mbwun » Tue May 29, 2012 5:11 am

Someone has uploaded the entirety of a film called SCRIBES to YouTube. It's a film that was shot at the Surrey International Writer's Conference some time back. You'll see a number of shots featuring Slade himself here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yiv_9b55yyw

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Previous

Return to Sladists Welcome!