RED SNOW

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

RED SNOW

Postby wmsimon » Tue Dec 22, 2009 9:38 pm

Got my copy this morning, from Amazon.Ca, locked the doors, turned off the phones, and settled in. Just finished it.

Two words:

HOLY SHI*!
"As opposed to profiling serial killers and sexual predators, Writing is a Lonely and Depressing Profession...." Darin Morgan
wmsimon

Postby Hydebound » Wed Dec 23, 2009 9:07 pm

As in-depth a review as I could ever hope to read. Thanks for avoiding those irritating spoilers.
Hydebound

Postby Cawdorgraves » Wed Dec 23, 2009 11:39 pm

TEAR!!!!!

I want my copy! When will Chapters/Indigo have em?

Slade might you come venture to our Capitol for a signing or to do a presentation that I might be able to attend finally :P

Season's Greetings!

CG
------------------------------------------
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby wmsimon » Fri Dec 25, 2009 12:44 am

Sorry, Hydebound. Didn't want to give away a single thing. You'll understand when you read it.

The tag line for this one should be "The Special X novel where EVERYTHING changes...."

Some bold moves for the series were made in this one. I was stunned. It will very interesting to see what happens in the next book....
"As opposed to profiling serial killers and sexual predators, Writing is a Lonely and Depressing Profession...." Darin Morgan
wmsimon

Postby Slade » Fri Dec 25, 2009 1:14 am

Spoilers are no fun for anyone. If someone exuberantly wants to talk about the book, just post a note asking those of like mind to use the Private Message function on the Board. Then you can talk all you want with those who reply.

Slade
Slade

Postby MarylandManson » Sat Dec 26, 2009 3:49 pm

Five Cool Things About RED SNOW

1) Portrait of a Psycho At Work (a la Sid Jinks with Mohawk in GHOUL).

2) Slade's commentary on the Olympics, especially as voiced by DeClercq.

3) Winter warfare.

4) Nicely done character moments for several Special X regulars, especially the women.

5) Proof positive that less Slade text on the page can still pack the full Slade wallop.

Cheers! MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby Tautriadelta » Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:58 pm

I realized yesterday I had a voice message on my phone..it was Chapters..my book had arrived (almost fainted) well all day at work I could not sit still and I rushed over to pick it up (felt all warm inside when I layed my hands on it..like around the holidays when you get together with close family)
And now that I have it in my hands it will get the same treatment as all my other Slade books, I am one who will take this book like a fine glass a whine, because (even though it will be re-read many times) then itÈs another 2 years before my next fix..hihi
Well let the games begin
and Slade...thanks for all the great books they've helped my in the past thru tough times and am always looking forward to your next masterpiece..don't ever stop XD.
felt a shiver when i noticed on bottom said published in 2010 ( I felt privileged :D )
Well here we go....btw love the intro :twisted:
Land of our birth,we pledge to thee
Our love and toil in the years to be;
When we are grown and take our place
As men and women of our race.
Tautriadelta

Postby Slade » Thu Dec 31, 2009 6:38 pm

As soon as the New Year's hangover subsides, Canada will ramp up into Winter Olympic Games mode. The $7 billion plus circus comes to town in February.

RED SNOW's official publication date is January 9, so this is the period of distribution. Different outlets get the book at different times, depending on distance, transport, and wholesalers.

Except for those who've jumped the gun, nothing has happened yet. The promotion starts next week.

Slade
Slade

Postby Mbwun » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:30 pm

Got my copy yesterday, and started reading it in bed last night. I'm already at page 100. I don't usually read that much at a bedtime reading, but the book is kind of unputdownable. Plus, I knew I wasn't going to get to sleep any time soon, what with all the fireworks that started up around here at midnight.

At 273 pages in length, this has got to be the shortest Slade novel yet. If the trend in number of pages continues, we'll soon be asking people if they've read the latest Slade novella. :wink:

I was thinking about the situation with those of us who are reading/have read it, and being able to discuss it without having to use PMing which can only be between two people. I figure I could set up a Facebook group that is only accessible to those who are members of it, and invite those who would like to be able to discuss it using spoilers.

The only problem is, is that I have no idea whether e_taylor, SickThing, and Cawdorgraves are still on Facebook, as they disappeared from my friends list mysteriously, and I know I didn't do anything to cheese them off and delete me.

It would also mean that Slade, and MarylandManson would have to create accounts in order to have any participation there.

What say you guys? Would this be an idea that would fly with you?
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby e_taylor » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:51 pm

Slade wrote:As soon as the New Year's hangover subsides, Canada will ramp up into Winter Olympic Games mode. The $7 billion plus circus comes to town in February.

RED SNOW's official publication date is January 9, so this is the period of distribution. Different outlets get the book at different times, depending on distance, transport, and wholesalers.

Except for those who've jumped the gun, nothing has happened yet. The promotion starts next week.

Slade

Any big plans for promoting this one? Or just the regular interviews, etc...? Any signings??
We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight. - HP Lovecraft in From Beyond
e_taylor

Postby e_taylor » Fri Jan 01, 2010 6:53 pm

Mbwun wrote:Got my copy yesterday, and started reading it in bed last night. I'm already at page 100. I don't usually read that much at a bedtime reading, but the book is kind of unputdownable. Plus, I knew I wasn't going to get to sleep any time soon, what with all the fireworks that started up around here at midnight.

At 273 pages in length, this has got to be the shortest Slade novel yet. If the trend in number of pages continues, we'll soon be asking people if they've read the latest Slade novella. :wink:

I was thinking about the situation with those of us who are reading/have read it, and being able to discuss it without having to use PMing which can only be between two people. I figure I could set up a Facebook group that is only accessible to those who are members of it, and invite those who would like to be able to discuss it using spoilers.

The only problem is, is that I have no idea whether e_taylor, SickThing, and Cawdorgraves are still on Facebook, as they disappeared from my friends list mysteriously, and I know I didn't do anything to cheese them off and delete me.

It would also mean that Slade, and MarylandManson would have to create accounts in order to have any participation there.

What say you guys? Would this be an idea that would fly with you?

I'd be up for that! You'll have to re-add me to facebook. I hadn't been on in ages and my account went inactive... lots of people mysteriously disappeared from my friends list!
We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight. - HP Lovecraft in From Beyond
e_taylor

Postby Mbwun » Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:45 pm

I went ahead and created the group. Now just to see how many are interested in it.

If you want to join, just let me know and I'll send you an invite. You'll have to be one of my FB friends for me to send it.

I'm not sure if anyone other than me can send invites to the group.
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby krista in ma » Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:31 pm

Oh boy, now I need to get a copy of Red Snow to join in the discussion! :D
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby SickThing » Sat Jan 02, 2010 3:39 pm

Mbwun wrote:The only problem is, is that I have no idea whether e_taylor, SickThing, and Cawdorgraves are still on Facebook, as they disappeared from my friends list mysteriously, and I know I didn't do anything to cheese them off and delete me.

No, you didn't. I went through a massive purge a few months ago, going from 400 "friends" down to 150. It was an attempt to bring the list down to people I actually knew well, but I also ended up getting rid of some people that I didn't really intend to remove (like you). I've been amazed at how many people have since re-added me with a note like, "What did I do?" The answer is: "Nothing."

If you'd like to send another friend request, I'll add you back. Thanks!

Hunter
SickThing

Postby Mbwun » Sat Jan 02, 2010 4:51 pm

Thanks Hunter!

About 120 pages left to go now. A rather unexpected item in last night's carnage. I'm starting to wonder WTF Slade is up to with this one.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Next

Return to Sladists Welcome!