RED SNOW

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Slade Limited

Postby chaos-consultants » Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:59 am

Slade.. Pm me as to what you would be looking for as a royalty for a limited....If I could arrange publishing... scare me or entertain me...

John/Chaos
"It's worked so far but we're not out yet" - Information Society (Star Trek)
chaos-consultants

Postby e_taylor » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:54 pm

John/Chaos -

f I'm not mistaken, the TPBs were Slade's idea as opposed to the publisher. Its not fair for the fans to have to pay $35+ for a new book.

Now the collectors on the other hand......

I don't think the limiteds have a whole lot to do with the royalties per se. I know Cutthroat is complicated as it was co-authored and was published so long ago the the reprint rights are complex. The newer ones without hardcovers (Swastika, Kamikaze, Red Snow).... well I guess we just have to keep hounding Jay!
We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight. - HP Lovecraft in From Beyond
e_taylor

limiteds

Postby chaos-consultants » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:23 am

Thanks for the clarity on interest in HB. I guess as an author you want to make it economical, but I would rather pay the extra $10 for a hc. If it was for mass readership, the pb's are best. I have self published one handmade limited in French wraps, and was looking to do more in the future, for the collectors....

John
"It's worked so far but we're not out yet" - Information Society (Star Trek)
chaos-consultants

places to discuss Slade books without spoiler problems

Postby Paka » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:02 pm

Thanks for setting up the Facebook group, Mbwun. I have sent a request to you to join.
For those people who don't want to join Facebook, you might try
www.goodreads.com. Click on groups and type in Michael Slade. Goodreads is a great place to find new authors, discussions, etc., Oh, and did I mention....spoilers?
There are only 3 of us who are members of the Slade group on Goodreads and it would be nice to get something going finally. IT is a good site to check out anyway.
Have fun and hope to see you there.
Paka

Postby Mbwun » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:15 pm

The invite has been sent Paka.

Welcome to the board!! Hope you enjoy yourself here.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Cawdorgraves » Fri Mar 19, 2010 2:18 am

FINALLY due to being a mature student returning to school my priorities of reading this novel were delayed. Today while in class - that's right in class, I decided to pass the time and read the final 20 pages of the novel. What a fabulous experience. Am thrilled by how it all came together in the end and man oh man ecstatic about final moments. Superb!

Keep em coming!

BRAVO!

CG
------------------------------------------
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby krista in ma » Sat Mar 20, 2010 4:39 pm

Ermmm... how does one know if their book is a "First Edition"? Just wondering :?

Regarding hard covers.... I like hard covers for "collecting" them. I have bought about 1/2 my hard covers used, so I didn't have to pay too much $$ for them. I'm pretty sure I have one soft & one hard cover of each book ~ when available. I keep meaning to get them in order just to see what I do have, but they've been scattered about the house in many different piles for awhile now.
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby Slade » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:09 pm

krista,

Turn to the copyright page on the back of the title page bearing the logo of the publisher and you'll see a line of numbers. The lowest number is the printing of the book. So, if your line reads...

...you have a first printing.

If it reads...

...you have a second printing.

Slade
Slade

Postby Wayne R. » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:07 pm

Murder One closed its doors in January 09. As I only go there when there's a new Slade on offer, this was news to me. All I found on Charing Cross Road was its old location and a worrying amount of empty bookshops. The recession's hit the street particularly hard.
Luckily, the guy in Foyles was commendably helpful. We chatted and he hit the terminal for me. No listing on Amazon UK, so he checked Amazon CA and suggested I order it from there. Something I'd not thought of up till that moment (slaps forehead and recalls doing exactly this a few books back).
Elsewhere on the forum there's mention of the hoops US & UK readers have to jump through to obtain a Slade fix, but it's not all bad. My copy was ordered with minimum shipping, due to arrive in weeks rather than days. In reality it took less than four days to arrive, so my advice is don't pay the express shipping fee.
DHL have an odd way of dealing with redirects. It went to my empty house, then back to a Docklands depot. I emailed them my work address to use instead, as handily that's also in Docklands.
When I tracked it, the book had been driven all the way over to Heathrow for resending, and there was a worrying comment, "Occupier moved". My next email asked them NOT to send it back to Canada, and why on Earth had they driven it across London for no apparent reason?
DHL don't reply to emails, it seems, but the book arrived safely the next day. Phew.

What can I say? It's certainly a fast read, whistling by at breakneck pace without ever dragging its feet or stopping for breath. Eddie Vedder said (more or less) of the recent Pearl Jam LP, 'sparkling water rather than soup'. I liked that, and it's a good & fair description of how I found the book.

In all, damn good but too damn short! Over too soon, and there's a long wait till the next in the series. Bah!
Last edited by Wayne R. on Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If the monkeys can't peel bananas, why teach them rocket science?" - Verbatim reply from a Deputy Director at my former employers' when asked about training.
Wayne R.

Postby PohlSE » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:46 pm

Wayne,

Here is the Spoiler page for Red Snow:

http://www.specialx.net/specialxbbs/viewtopic.php?t=1221
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Wayne R. » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:07 pm

Duly noted. Hadn't spotted it, unfortunately, so anything alluded to (not that there was much) has been excised!
Thanks, PohlSE.
"If the monkeys can't peel bananas, why teach them rocket science?" - Verbatim reply from a Deputy Director at my former employers' when asked about training.
Wayne R.

Postby Judy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:01 pm

Wayne . . .
What a pain you had to go through so much to get your copy. That's another reason I'm all for ebooks . . . . you can get delivery (usually) with just a click of your mouse . . . or flick of your finger. Then if you find you want a physical copy you can always go back and buy one.
:roll: :wink:
Judy

Postby Hydebound » Sun May 16, 2010 11:14 am

I'd like to share my reaction to Red Snow...

BUT I CAN'T, BECAUSE I HAVEN'T READ IT YET! The book is still not available in Portland, apparently. My usual book sources can find no evidence that it even exists. What the #!*% is going on??!! This is all but intolerable! Help me, Slade!
Hydebound

Postby raasnio » Mon May 17, 2010 6:39 pm

Hydebound wrote:I'd like to share my reaction to Red Snow...

BUT I CAN'T, BECAUSE I HAVEN'T READ IT YET! The book is still not available in Portland, apparently. My usual book sources can find no evidence that it even exists. What the #!*% is going on??!! This is all but intolerable! Help me, Slade!

Amazon.ca or....

Dead Write Books
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby Hydebound » Tue May 18, 2010 1:18 pm

Thanks!
Hydebound

PreviousNext

Return to Sladists Welcome!