Special X # 12: WWII in the Pacific

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Special X # 12: WWII in the Pacific

Postby Slade » Tue May 31, 2005 6:13 pm

Sladists,

So here are the answers to the clues that I have been dropping about the subject of the Special X novel after SWASTIKA.

1/ What's the subject of the last book Slade said he was reading?

Answer: WWII island-hopping by U.S. Marines in the Pacific.

2/ What was Krista in Ma's avatar for a long time?

Answer: U.S. Marines raising the stars and stripes over Iwo Jima in WWII.

3/ What's super about Fizz Kick's background?

Answer: His dad was one of the "Super Marines" who fought on Guadalcanal.

4/ What subject has its clock ticking down inexorably if Slade wishes to use a character who was involved in it and is still alive today?

Answer: World War Two. SWASTIKA is Slade's Special X thriller that comes out of the European theater, the war with Germany. Special X # 12 is the companion to that. A thriller that comes out of the Pacific theater, the war with Japan.

Slade
Slade

Postby WaywardSoul » Tue May 31, 2005 7:30 pm

It should have been obvious, but every time the notion crept into my head, I would dismiss it immediately.

"Slade wouldn't write back-to-back books covering the same historical event.", I kept telling myself.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you.
The European and Pacific campaigns are each so unique that they should actually be studied seperately.
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - Frank Zappa
WaywardSoul

Postby Slade » Tue May 31, 2005 7:55 pm

WaywardSoul,

That's how I feel too. The European war began in September 1939, and quickly reduced itself to a "last stand" by Britain against the surrounding forces of the Third Reich. By the time Patton landed in North Africa in the fall of 1942, the war in Europe had been raging for three years.

The war in the Pacific was radically different. It began with the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, and the quick overrunning of Britain's Far East colonies. Right from the start, it was America's war.

As you'll eventually see, the two Slade novels will be as different as different can be.

Slade
Slade

Postby steelclaw32 » Tue May 31, 2005 10:08 pm

8) 8) 8) 8) Well Jay as the saying goes 'variety is the spice of life',
and you bring it to the fore EVERY time, and you bring THAT about in ALL of your books. Fair play. :P :lol: , and thank you.
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby PohlSE » Wed Jun 01, 2005 12:30 am

I'm just glad I didn't get too attached to the "octopus attacking the aircraft carrier." :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, it sounds great.

I hope you don't mind my being nosy but will there be connection between the two cases, SWASTIKA and Special X 12? An AXIS of killers if you will.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby krista in ma » Wed Jun 01, 2005 4:25 am

has the idea for 12 has been pushed back to 13 or has it been placed on the back burner?
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby Slade » Wed Jun 01, 2005 6:23 am

Krista,

What was to be Special X # 12 is now slotted into Special X # 13, but that could change if a time-sensitive plot occurs to me. That's why the new # 12 has to be written now.

Also, what we currently have planned for Mephisto has a time element too.

Deadline. In some cases, that's a literal term.

Slade
Slade

Postby raasnio » Wed Jun 01, 2005 11:42 pm

The order in which these novels are released doesn't concern me. I just want to be able to read them. :lol:

Thanks for the clues. :)
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby steelclaw32 » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:50 am

raasnio wrote:The order in which these novels are released doesn't concern me. I just want to be able to read them. :lol:

Thanks for the clues. :)

And you WILL old son all in good time. Do be patient please . All good things and all that eh?
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby inkuryakin » Thu Oct 27, 2005 6:52 am

I don't mind the subjects back to back or with others in between. They're all good in their own ways. One thing that I did find striking about Swastika was the reference to all the plane crashes in the cascade range of British Columbia. I had an uncle who was killed on a training mission in the air force in the mountains of BC. I don't know exactly where or when as I was very young or not yet born even. With so little known about him I have a kind of lost feeling when I think about where he ended up.
inkuryakin

Postby Slade » Wed Nov 09, 2005 10:29 pm

American Sladists:

I have a writing question. If a member of the U.S. Air Force is killed in action (now, not during WWII), and some brass come around in uniform to break the bad news to his relatives (one of whom served in the armed forces, too), what color of uniform would the brass wear?

Blue? (My guess).
Khaki?

Also, can you give me a brief description of it, or a link to a photo.

Thanks,

Slade
Slade

Postby PohlSE » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:03 am

The dress uniform, I would assume, which it blue. I have just been told that the Army would use full dress in that situation, so it probably a good guess.

But I have a link:

http://www.e-publishing.af.mil/pubfiles/af/36/afi36-2903/afi36-2903.pdf

I't huge and will take some time going through it, so I welcome anyone else searching through it, too.

I'll get started... :)

Also it may be here:

http://www.afpc.randolph.af.mil/
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby WaywardSoul » Thu Nov 10, 2005 12:05 am

Composition of Notification Team

Member's commander or a designated representative (whenever possible, a field grade officer of equal or higher grade than the deceased).

Chaplain and medical representative (doctor, nurse, or medical technician), if available.

Must be sensitive to the timeliness of effecting notification when organizing the team

Don't delay making notification if there is difficulty locating a chaplain or medical representative

Average notification time is 4 hours; however, locality of NOK and accuracy of the member's emergency information play a significant role in length of time involved with notification

Commander may ask a close friend of the member's family to accompany him or her, or the team, provided it does not delay the notification
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The current U.S. Air Force uniform, adopted in 1993 and standardized in 1995, consists of a three-button, pocketless coat, similar to that of a men's "sport jacket" (with silver "U.S." pins on the lapels), matching trousers, and either a service cap or garrison cap, all in "Air Force Blue." This is worn with a light blue shirt and necktie in the same color as the coat and trousers. Enlisted members wear sleeve insignia on both the jacket and shirt, while officers wear metal rank insignia pinned onto the coat, and Air Force Blue slide-on loops on the shirt. Air Force personnel assigned to honor guard duties wear, for dress occasions, a modified version of the standard service dress uniform, but with silver trim on the sleeves and trousers, with the addition of medals, sword belt, and a silver shoulder cord.

Between 1993 and 1995, officers had Navy/Coast Guard-style rank rings on the coat, but this was replaced with sewn-on epaulets with the rank insignia, with "welts" in the same color as the coat being worn on the sleeves, a distinctive item adopted from the U.S. Army. Prior to 1993, all Air Force personnel wore Air Force Blue uniforms nearly identical in appearance to that of the U.S. Army, which in fact, influence the current uniform regulations of the Army when it replaced its WWII/Korean-era olive drab uniforms with the modern-day "Army Green" uniforms of the Cold War era.

For combat and work duty, ground crews wear standard battle dress uniform, which are currently being phased out in favor of an Air Force version of the Marine's MARPAT uniform, while pilots and air crews wear olive green or tan one-piece flight suits made of nomex for fire protection.

Women's uniforms, which has changed little since its introduction in the late 1950's, generally is identical in appearance to that of the uniforms worn by women officers in the U.S. Army.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're correct about the blue, Slade. The USAF dress uniform and the utility uniforms are, for the most part, blue.

Keep in mind, as stated above, the rank of the notification officer should be of equal, or greater rank, than the deceased service member.
So, the higher the rank of the deceased, the higher the rank of the notification officer.

Here's a picture of a rather serious looking fellow in his USAF dress blues:

http://www.afrc.af.mil/news/bios/Winsett.jpg

Hope that helps!
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - Frank Zappa
WaywardSoul

Postby Starra » Thu Nov 10, 2005 4:26 pm

Joe says it would be blue. The Air Force got rid of khaki a few years back, as he recalls.
What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?
Starra

Postby WaywardSoul » Thu Nov 10, 2005 5:03 pm

Starra wrote:Joe says it would be blue. The Air Force got rid of khaki a few years back, as he recalls.

A few years back???

Try 40 years ago!

In 1961, the US Air Force began switching to the blue dress and working uniforms and by 1965, the khaki uniforms were phased out entirely.
WaywardSoul

Next

Return to Sladists Welcome!