Special X # 12: WWII in the Pacific

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Postby slyragz » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:04 pm

Blue, with clergy and medical personnel (if available) is dead on (no pun intended). Having been on both sides of that door, I can't tell you which is worse.

You didn't ask, but I'll tell anyway since not many people have to ever bring this type of news to family members. It's like passing a burden. I mean, the informing officer has this horrible, tragic information he knows will most likely devastate the family. And here's the bite...once the news has been delivered, you stand there and you truly want to do something to comfort the family (but you can't), while at the same time you're relieved it's over and the burden is no longer yours.
slyragz

Postby Slade » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:47 pm

Thanks, everyone.

That does the job.

And - if it's okay with you, Slyragz - I'll incorporate the "passing of the burden" into the scene.

Slade
Slade

Postby slyragz » Thu Nov 10, 2005 8:59 pm

Slade - help yourself. Just hurry up. (I never realized how odd that phrase looks until I typed it out.) "Hurry up"
slyragz

Postby Slade » Sun Nov 13, 2005 7:33 am

If an Air Force colonel dresses up in "the full Monty," what does he look like?

Slade
Slade

Postby WaywardSoul » Sun Nov 13, 2005 2:42 pm

Slade, the Full Dress uniform of an Air Force colonel, would be the same as any other Air Force commissioned officer.

What sets them apart, of course, are the rank insignas.

The sure-fire way to identify a Colonel in the Air Force, or any other branch of the US military, is a large silver eagle pinned to his/her chest.

There is a common expression in the military to distinguish between a Colonel and a Lieutenant Colonel.
Colonels are called "Full bird Colonels", because of their rank pin.
Lt. Colonels wear an Oak leaf pin, I believe.

Here is a link to an illustration of the Colonel's rank pin:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:Colonel_insignia.png

Here is a small photo of an Air Force Colonel in dress uniform, absent only the service cap:

http://public.macdill.amc.af.mil/meyers ... age005.jpg

Here is the service cap:

http://lawranceordnance.com/new/images/ ... el-cap.jpg
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - Frank Zappa
WaywardSoul

Postby MarylandManson » Sun Nov 13, 2005 3:43 pm

WaywardSoul wrote:Colonels are called "Full bird Colonels", because of their rank pin. Lt. Colonels wear an Oak leaf pin, I believe.

The rank insignia for a lieutenant colonel (or Navy commander) is indeed a silver oak leaf. A major (or Navy lieutenant commander) is a gold oak leaf. The insignia follow a scheme that essentially starts "low" and ends "high" in a symbolic sense:

Gold is the deepest in the earth.
Then silver is higher.
Then railroad tracks run along the earth.
Then oak trees rise higher.
Then birds.
Then stars are the highest (generals and admirals).

Where insignia are the same except for color, silver is "higher" than gold. Hence the distinction between gold and silver oak leaves (or bars in the lower ranks).

By the way, if called for, an excellent way to deflate a lieutenant colonel's (or lieutenant commander's) overdeveloped ego is to emphasize the word "lieutenant" when addressing said officer. A lot of them enjoy the fact that most people verbally truncate the term--i.e., they'll address a "lieutenant colonel" as "colonel." But without that silver bird...

Cheers! MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby Slade » Sun Nov 13, 2005 4:56 pm

Good replies, both of you.

You'll find them in #12.

So "Americanized" am I that when I was addressing the WWII vets at the Canadian National Institute for the Blind Remembrance Day luncheon, I noticed wincing in the group when I mentioned by dad's RAF rank: Flight Lieutenant.

When it happened again, the reason clicked.

Halfway through the address, I switched to Flight Leftenant and the old guys settled down.

Slade
Slade

Postby slyragz » Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:59 pm

I didn't realize that Martha Stewart was imprisoned in the same federal pen as Tokyo Rose (Billie Holliday and Squeaky Fromme, too).
slyragz

Postby Slade » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:08 am

Is anyone an expert on Japanese horror films of the 50s?

Which of the following are "atomic monsters":

GODZILLA
RODAN
MOTHRA

Any other big ones?

Slade
Slade

Postby PohlSE » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:29 am

Godzilla was atomic, Mothra was not. They fought several times, sometimes as enemies sometimes as allies.

Plot Synopsis for Rodan: When a village is besieged by giant caterpillars, a more horrifying discovery is made in their underground home...a giant flying creature that resembles the prehistoric pterodactyl. Soon after, a second Rodan appears and the two monsters begin to destroy Japan. So he isn't atomic either.

From a different Japanese film company we were treated to "Gamera!" A giant, atomic, mutated turtle. He was created to compete with the Godzilla Franchise. Gamera also had several popular films.

Megalon was not radioactive, per se, but he was sent to destroy the surface world because of recent nuclear testing in the Pacific Ocean.

Here are some fun giant monster films; some radioactive, some not:

Them (1954)
Tarantula (1955)
Day of the Triffids
Gammera the Invincible (Daikaiju Gamera)
It Came From Beneath the Sea
Mothra (1961)
The Beast From 20,000 Fathoms

I love giant monster movies. :)

http://biglizards.net/FlixLizards/Fossils/DerKrapp/DerKrapp12-GoldenAgeOfJapanese1.html

That link has some good B.G. information.
Last edited by PohlSE on Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby MarylandManson » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:31 am

Slade: Of those monsters, I'd say only Godzilla qualifies as an "atomic monster." Rodan is prehistoric, although H-bomb blasting might have led to its "discovery" in those mineshafts. Mothra is a mythical, quasi-magical beast.

I have a copy of JAPANESE SCIENCE FICTION, FANTASY AND HORROR FILMS by Stuart Galbraith IV. It's the most definitive work I've yet seen on the subject, although it's a 1994 book. I'll comb through it and extract everything Galbraith offers about Japanese atomic monsters, then post the results here. I just need a little time to do it.

Cheers! MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby PohlSE » Fri Nov 25, 2005 12:36 am

Here's another link that might be useful:

http://www.atomicmonsters.com/
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby MarylandManson » Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:58 am

Bottom line: Of the Japanese monsters, Godzilla is the only clearly radioactive "big one."

More than probably called for, courtesy of the aforementioned Galbraith unless otherwise noted, follows...

Cheers! MM

RODAN (1958) Bill Warren, author of KEEP WATCHING THE SKIES! says of Rodan, "H-bomb testing releases a number of large insect larvae in a mine." Galbraith says, "Carbon dating places the creature in the Cretaceous period."

THE H-MAN (1958) Humans (and at least one frog) are mutated into blob creatures by fallout from an H-bomb.

MOTHRA (1961) Mothra is anti-radiation, hailing from the portion of an island that is magically immune to A-bomb tests.

DAGORA, THE SPACE MONSTER (1964) "...Dagora is a space cell transformed by a pocket of radioactivity."

GAMERA THE INVINCIBLE (1965) Gamera is prehistoric, released by a radioactive explosion courtesy of a crashed American plane carrying atomic weapons.

EBIRAH, HORROR OF THE DEEP (1966) Ebirah lives near an island where heavy water is produced for atomic bombs, but it's unclear whether Ebirah was spawned by radioactivity.

And here's something probably best ignored except for the fact that it includes a nice list:

DESTROY ALL MONSTERS (1968) "On Ogasawara Island in the Pacific, an underwater research team studies marine life, including artificially evolved animals. In an area of the island known as Monsterland, all the world's giant monsters have been gathered in the interest of world security. The monsters--Godzilla, Rodan, Mothra (caterpillar form), Manda, Minya, Angilas, Gorosaurus, Baragon, Spiga and Varan--are free to roam the island..."
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby Slade » Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:43 am

Thanks.

Godzilla it is. And, luckily, he's the most famous.

I have no idea how I ever wrote the books before this Board.

Just post and it's answered. He seem to have an expert on every subject.

Want some more fun that might end up in # 12?

Imagine that you are at a convention of Pacific vets. WWII, Korea, Vietnam.

There's a big convention hall with lots of exhibits, and there's going to be a running gunfight with a bad guy through it.

So what sort of exhibits do you imagine in there?

Slade
Slade

Postby PohlSE » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:00 pm

Lots of photos, is the first thing that comes to mind. I can also see quite a few weapon exhibits, and glass cases with medals and plaques.

Depending on how big and well known the convention is there may also be a statue or two.

But defiantly a lot of photos… With a running gunfight that would make for a lot of flying glass.
PohlSE
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Sladists Welcome!