Special X # 12: WWII in the Pacific

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Postby PohlSE » Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:34 pm

Double post alert! :)

Ok, having a lot of relatives around for the holidays makes for a deeper pool of information:

Regimental and division flags my father suggests. Also, every emblem from every unit.

Metals and patches are a must, everyone agree. Uniforms and Kamikaze headbands were suggested by my uncle. His wife's father flew bombers during the WWII pacific campaigns, and she suggests photos and or parts of planes. Also she thinks they would have examples of AA shells from both sides.

I then placed a phone call to my Father-in-law, who served in the marines and fought in Korea, and he suggested that if the convention hall was big enough they might have a vehicle or two. Jeeps in particular and maybe a tank.

On the vehicle topic; my uncle wants me to point out that Japan didn't begin constructing motorcycles until after WWII. (Why this is pertinent I don't know)

Anyway, that's what the "think tank" here has to offer.

...And it has gotten everyone interest now. :)
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Slade » Fri Nov 25, 2005 5:35 pm

PoulSE,

In for a penny, in for a pound.

I'll use it all: the conventional hall is taking shape in my mind.

Slade
Slade

Postby raasnio » Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:29 am

Slade wrote:Is anyone an expert on Japanese horror films of the 50s?

Which of the following are "atomic monsters":

GODZILLA
RODAN
MOTHRA

Any other big ones?

Slade

KAIJU!

I agree with MM. Godzilla is the atomic monster.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby krista in ma » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:26 am

PohlSE wrote:Lots of photos, is the first thing that comes to mind. I can also see quite a few weapon exhibits, and glass cases with medals and plaques.

Depending on how big and well known the convention is there may also be a statue or two.

But defiantly a lot of photos… With a running gunfight that would make for a lot of flying glass.

I wouldn't mind seeing cases that show mannaqins (spel?) dressed in period clothing with weapons. I am fascinated by maps that have timelines & points of "interest" marked on them - kind of like a guide to what happened and where.
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby MarylandManson » Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:41 am

krista (or anyone else): My brother has a fascinating timeline map of world history that shows the relative "size" of empires and nations as they waxed and waned over the centuries. For example, Rome's line is very thick at the time of Christ, then it thins as the empire declined. I forget the name of it, but if there's any interest, I'll track it down.

Cheers! MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby Mbwun » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:25 am

MM,

I have a book called The Timechart History of the World. If it's the one your brother has, I agree, it is a very fascinating book. Is this the one your brother has?

(Click picture for another view)

Here's a link to Barnes and Noble's listing for the book.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby MarylandManson » Thu Dec 01, 2005 10:25 am

Yep, that sure looks like it. Thanks, Mbwun!
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby Mbwun » Thu Dec 01, 2005 4:30 pm

MM,

I first heard about the book when my brother and sister-in-law had borrowed a friend's copy of it. A year or so later I saw it in the local Chapters store and bought copies to give as Christmas presents to the whole family.

This friend of theirs has 3 copies of the book. One to browse through, and the other two are displayed on the wall of his study. One with one side spread out across the wall, and the other with the reverse side displayed across the wall. It really makes a fantastic display.

Now we return to regular programming.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby krista in ma » Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:46 pm

MarylandManson wrote:Yep, that sure looks like it. Thanks, Mbwun!

Thanks to the both of you... I will be on the look out for that with my (keeping fingers crossed) book store gift cards that I get.
krista in ma

Postby Slade » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:41 pm

2006 will be the year of Special X #12. For you skilled artists with the paint boxes, it's time for me to start dropping clues. A suggestion: Leave a space for a one-word title about the length of "SWASTIKA," to be filled in soon.

Clue: The book opens at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.

Clue: The Special X tie-in scene is the Fall of Hong Kong at Christmas, 1941.

Slade
Slade

Postby krista in ma » Wed Dec 28, 2005 12:38 am

Slade wrote:....Clue: The book opens at Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941.....Slade

If this wasn't a big red flag for me :) I have had fun trying to come up with different ideas....

I found this from national geographic, and thought - wow, what a beautiful picture. I don't plan on using it. I can't imagine making it "better" in anyway, but just wanted to share it...

krista in ma

Postby slyragz » Wed Dec 28, 2005 2:28 pm

hmmmm

it wouldn't begin with a K and end with an E, would it?
slyragz

Postby Slade » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:30 pm

Slyragz,

Bingo!

KAMIKAZE.

The other half of the war.

Slade
Slade

Postby slyragz » Wed Dec 28, 2005 9:52 pm

Sorry.

My uncle called them "judy" bombers. I don't suppose that would have worked as a title, huh? He was on a night carrier and used to tell us about how the judy bombers screwed up everyone's minds. In fact, his carrier was hit by shells from a friendly ship trying to defend his carrier from those diving devils.

Again, sorry for jumping the gun on you.
slyragz

Postby Slade » Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:23 pm

Slyragz,

No, that's the fun of the Board. It's like a whodunit. It's no fun if someone doesn't have a chance of solving the puzzle. I'd have announced the title in four more days to kick off the New Year, but you were too sharp for me, and you win that round of cat and mouse.

Jerry
Slade

PreviousNext

Return to Sladists Welcome!