The SWASTIKA Secret

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

The SWASTIKA Secret

Postby Slade » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:57 pm

Since some of you seem to have Styx's "Too Much Time On My Hands," it's time to put on your Sherlockian hat and delve into the Secret.

What Secret?

Here's the back of the cover from the American edition of SWASTIKA:

Evil is reborn.

Two serial killers are taking hate crimes to the extreme.

Dubbed Swastika and the Aryan, they're acting as cleansers of society - necessary evils to empower a new master race. But there's still one secret about them no one knows...

Assigned to hunt them down is Special X, an elite team of investigators. But the closer they get, the sooner they discover a link to a terrifying government conspiracy - and a mystery buried in the secrets of World War II-era Germany.

Now the Special X investigators are the hunted - shadowed by two deranged killers bent on slaughter and a faceless band of agents who will stop at nothing to prevent the secrets of a dark new world from coming to light...

For fifty years, my father's World War II archives lay buried behind a false wall in the linen closet of my parents' house. On finding them in 2003, I set out to discover just who this fellow who died when I was nine really was, and in following the archival trail, chanced across the Secret.

So, Sherlockians, I'll give you two clues that will start you on the hunt. My father served in Bomber Command, so one of them's buried in here:

http://www.raf.mod.uk/bombercommand/index.html

And the clue to help you find focus is one of the lines in here:

http://www.specialx.net/

Good luck,

Slade
Slade

Postby steelclaw32 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:28 pm

Damned interesting Jay I do LOVE a good mystery :shock:

Sladists might be interested in these two site on the origin of the

sign that was later bastardised by Hitler's Nazis.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swastika

and this:

http://www.kamat.com/indica/culture/sub-cultures/swastika.htm
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby Slade » Sun Jun 26, 2005 10:49 pm

And then, of course, you could come at it from another angle:

http://www.robertweinberg.net/rarecomics.htm

Slade
Slade

Postby steelclaw32 » Sun Jun 26, 2005 11:06 pm

*LOL* :lol: :lol: :lol:
steelclaw32
steelclaw32

Postby MarylandManson » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:37 am

Now Slade...I think you were rather coy when I earlier mentioned how that woman in your father's sketch reminded me of Lady Blackhawk. And I'm on the record about those logic puzzles evoked by the cozy format.

But I'm tempted to nibble on this anyway. As I've proven many times here on The Board, I have no fear of making a public fool of myself.

So the first thing that interested me about the Bomber Command link was the Ruhr Express. But then I thought, "Maybe not, that's a Lancaster." But I didn't discard the Ruhr possibility. Then I plugged in Duisburg on Google and found this interesting link:

http://www.militaryhistoryonline.com/ww ... arris.aspx

Then I moved on to Dortmund, particularly this from the Bomber Command link: "The Group's heaviest attack of the war was against Dortmund on the night of 6th/7th October 1944, when 293 Lancasters and Halifaxes took off from their Yorkshire and near-Yorkshire bases: 273 bombed the primary target, three attacked an alternative, two failed to return, and the remainder were for various reasons unable to drop their bombs."

The most interesting part of that text? "...three attacked an alternative..."

So what might have been an alternative target?

Here's a link that offers more detail about the Dortmund/Ruhr missions:

http://www.monoculartimes.co.uk/city-to ... 1944.shtml

Buried in that link is the following: "All in all, over 15,000 people were killed in the Battle of the Ruhr. Among them were numerous foreign slave laborers, prisoners of war, and inmates of concentration camps, who worked in the industrial plants in the Ruhr cities and town."

At this point, I decided to abandon the logical/systematic approach, throw caution to the wind, and try to channel some Zen energies. I wondered, "Could a Canadian bomber crew have gone on some secret mission inside Germany because of something the Americans knew about but wouldn't address?"

And what could that be? Something industrial? Something to do with concentration camps (a nice Swastika/Aryan tie-in there)? Or maybe Vemork, Norway, wasn't the only heavy water facility available to the Germans.

And at that point I decided that I really don't want to know until November!

Cheers! MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby PohlSE » Mon Jun 27, 2005 2:51 am

Ok... I'll go the polar opposite of MM here and just take a wild-ass shot into the dark...

The Canadian crew helped smuggle out Nazi scientists/war criminals under the blanket of the US/Allied Operation Paperclip, who then went to work for the US continuing their genetic experiments and what-have-you.

Swastika and the Aryan are all that left of those experiments gone awry and are killing the descendents of all those involved.

Since Jack Clarke is the inspiration here, he will have been part of the crew who brought out the scientists, and we will have a "Clive meets Dirk" moment where Zinc will rescue Jay and Rebecca at the last minute from one of the killers.

Wow... That has a real BOYS FROM BRAZIL/THEY SAVED HITLER'S BRAIN feel too it.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Slade » Mon Jun 27, 2005 4:00 am

Not bad, fellas, not bad.

The rule of thumb in publishing is that Americans like to read about Americans, and since so many of those who haunt this Board hail from south of the line, I thought I should find a historical overlap between the two most controversial warriors of WWII.

One was The Bomber, undeniably.

And the other was...

Slade

P.S. Don't worry, MM. Your detective's brain will have to evolve past that of Dr. Gideon Fell's before you'll figure this one out in a snap. I was lucky. I had my dad to guide me.
Slade

Postby MarylandManson » Mon Jun 27, 2005 10:28 am

Oh, Bacchus! Stung by a false wall, lads! So once again the answer lies buried within stacks of age-yellowed documents in secret libraries. Of course there must be a false wall. There is always a false wall! Harrumph!

Heh-heh-heh. MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby Slade » Tue Jun 28, 2005 5:16 am

...I thought I should find a historical overlap between the two most controversial warriors of WWII.

One was The Bomber, undeniably.

Harris on Dresden: "I do not personally regard the whole of the remaining cities of Germany as worth the bones of one British grenadier."

And the other was...

http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/2WWpatton.htm

So how did The Bomber and Old Blood and Guts overlap?

Slade
Slade

Postby MarylandManson » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:20 pm

Slade: I'd guess that Bomber and BloodNGuts overlapped in Sicily.

By the way, just out of general interest, I found the following link that probably has nothing to do with SWASTIKA but might still qualify as a "swastika secret."

http://www.tbrnews.org/Archives/a1246.htm

"Pohl knows far too much about American business activities with Germany during the war to be let go and Ohlendorf has to pay for all the SD and Einsatzgruppen people the U.S. has already knowingly hired. The younger Krupp, whom the Americans decided would have to be tried instead of his totally senile father, is to be let go as this country needs his company to produce military goods again. And he gets all of his property back as well. Also, all the other businessmen are to be let go as well."

Interesting...

Cheers! MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby steelclaw32 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 8:16 pm

Now THAT MM was interesting. And opens almost a can of worms bordering on the what if case scenario, I mean if MacArthur actually did become the then next President as in "M is lusting after the White House and is deliberately undermining Trumans’ position"; would US have been entirely different, and what would it be like to-day.?

Many thanks for that link. Makes one think just ....WHAT IF_____________
steelclaw32
steelclaw32

Postby PohlSE » Wed Jun 29, 2005 3:23 am

MarylandManson wrote:By the way, just out of general interest, I found the following link that probably has nothing to do with SWASTIKA but might still qualify as a "swastika secret

Interesting choice for a quote, if Mr. 'POHL'se says so himself... :)

It refers to Oswald (von)Pohl SS-Führer, Chef des SS-Wirtschafts- und Verwaltungshauptamt.

He is seen here receiving his death sentence at Nuremberg.

http://www.law.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/nuremberg/subsequenttrials.html
He is number four on this page.

I say it's an interesting choice of quote because Oswald Pohl is one of those bizarre family links (wrong side of every war) I mentioned in 'The Kitchen' about a month ago.

My late aunt uncovered it about 20 years ago after being stonewalled by my grandfather for several decades. The way it was finally pieced together is that my great-grandfather moved to the US from Germany when he was a teenager. He left behind several brothers and Oswald was one of their offspring. He was so appalled by what went on during the thirties and forties (the rise of German Fascism) and was so worried about being connected to it by family that he and my grandfather (in his late twenties early thirties at the time) set about to destroying/hiding anything that connected their family to their German relatives. Even after my great-grandfathers death and the discovery of the connections my grandfather refused to admit to it.

Luckily for everyone else my grandmother kept extensive diaries about everything... including that. :)

BTW; none of this has anything to do with SWASTIKA, it just suprised me to see Oswald mentioned in the post...
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby EZ Rhino » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:22 pm

Does this have anything to do with the secret?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/3754887.stm

"Colossus was also ground-breaking because it was put into action two years ahead of its nearest US rival, the Eniac (Electronic Numerical Integrator and Computer).

Although, Mr Sale said, Eniac was thought to have been first because Colossus was kept a secret until the 1970s."

Hope my wild stab in the dark doesn't hit anything or anyone... :oops:
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby Slade » Thu Jun 30, 2005 6:40 pm

EZ Rhino,

Good stab! That's the sort of thing that would make for an ideal SWASTIKA secret.

In order to home in on the one in the book - which is the biggest secret of them all - you must keep going back to what my dad did in the war.

The master clue is on this page:

http://www.specialx.net/

Slade
Slade

Postby TBLightning492 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:07 pm

With any luck part of that secret puts a focus on the Battle of El Alamein and Rommel's Afrika Korps. One of my favorite threads to read in the old forum was the Patton versus Rommel versus Montgomery topic.

Rommel was once mentioned as a possible head of post-Hitlerian Germany, so perhaps some dark history lies within the Stauffenberg plotters of 1944.

But then, Jack Clarke was already back in Canada by 1944.

Hmmmm......

This requires some deep thought.
TBLightning492

Next

Return to Sladists Welcome!