Sladists Unite!

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Introduction

Postby Cawdorgraves » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:39 am

Hello, my name is Jeffery Calder, have been reading Slade since first day of grade 10 (1990). I walked this girl home - quite an interesting bizarre gal I still recall - rats on her shoulders walking around streets. Anyhow - she loaned me the hardcopy of Ghoul. It was so good that well, sorry slade but I kept that copy for myself! But I promise you I have paid for all my other books by you. After reading that, I quickly discovered Headhunter and never turned back.

I am 29, living in Edmonton, Alberta. Originally from Halifax, Nova Scotia. have a BSc in geology from Acadia Universty. The degree has opened doors to work in the oil industry which has offered me the chance to work in the gulf of mexico (Texas/Louisiana). Having endured the floods in Houston (2001), endure the fall out of 9/11 in Toronto and SARS to now enduring the dry air of the western canadian prairies.

Guitars and movies is my passion. Dichotic (www.dichotic.com) was my band of 10 years - 2 full length world distribution cds but now I am writing rock/folk music for my latest project Monee Penee. In time I hope to have a website to present mp3's of my new music direction.

Sorry for my diatribe

jC
------------------------------------------
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby Cawdorgraves » Mon Apr 04, 2005 6:56 am

Cyn - teehee - it is great to finally know the insights of who these people we have been chatting with for months/years to know their true personalities/names.

Anyway Cyn it would be interesting to hear your bass talents. It is great that you are familiar with one of Canada's greatests - Rush. Makes me wonder - do you know Dream Theater? Frank Zappa? Mr. Bungle? If not - please check out these 3 fabulous genious inovators that have shaped and forged the masterful levels of progressive rock.

Rush's - YYZ and Tom Sawyor by far are the best songs.

MM - I knew you said you were male. for some strange reason I had always thought you were female. I still appreciate you taking a gander at my writing. Still needs a lot of tweaking.

Cyn it would be interesting to hear what it is you do? Some people have amazing jobs or bizarre jobs and one has to wonder - how did they get that position. You make us wonder if maybe you are a Secret Agent 007 type stuff. or do you hide out in a white room with white lights white furniture and padded walls just cause you can!

by the way - I drink Coca Cola, Baccardi rum (dark), Kaluha, and Trapiche - Families Argentinian wine. Cheap, very fruit flavored, and delicious to the last drop! Who said price means it is a good wine.

jC
D E F O R M A T O R Y
Cawdorgraves

Postby Rush_Grrl » Mon Apr 04, 2005 8:25 pm

jC -

I cannot wait for Maryland Manson to see your post! I am still laughing! He'll take it well, I am sure! :lol:

Wow, you a real musician eh?! I will definitely check out that website. And we can blather all we want to on this topic in the Movies & Music forum - see my "A Shameless Post" topic.

Whatever happened to Rat Girl, after you "borrowed" her Slade?!

See ya in the other forum.....

Rush
Rush_Grrl

Postby Cawdorgraves » Mon Apr 04, 2005 9:59 pm

It'll just be a pat on my hand. And yet he could get irrate and wish to inflict me in some tortorous ways. It isn't as though Slade gives him any ideas/methods for meyhem to inflict on deserving souls.

jC
D E F O R M A T O R Y
Cawdorgraves

Postby fizz kick » Tue Apr 05, 2005 4:03 pm

Hi all I also never posted my info on the original board. I've been absent for a while. I was frozen in a block of ice being worshipped by Inuits, but I'm back now.

My name is Nick. I'm a Leo. I like long walks on the beach and sometime I just like to cuddle.

I am born and raised in Chicago. Home of the most sports fans of teams that suck.

I work for an evil multinational corporation that is developing new ways to hurl kittens into space. Okay, not really, but it sounds better then saying I work for a law firm in downtown Chicago.

I started reading Slade around when Ghoul came out here in the states and have been hooked ever since. I would have to say Ripper is my favorite of the Special X books.

I was born in '69 when all the cool stuff happened. I am 7 of 9 kids. I don't know what my parents were thinking either.

I hate beer. I drink Whiskey.

Other authors I read-Joe Lansdale, Neil Gaimen, Nancy Collins, Christopher Golden, Christopher Moore...

Favorite musicians/bands-Buddy Holly, Brian Setzer, The Asylum Street Spankers, Ghettobillies, Robbie Fulks, Joe Ely, The Waco Brothers, Little Charlie and the Nightcats, Kelly Hogan, Candye Kane...

I used to work at a video store so I am able to answer those vague movie questions that customers used to pose.
Them: "Do you have that movie where the guy does that thing with the fork?"
Me: "Ah yes, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels."

Fizz Kick
"Sometimes I think I must have a Guardian Idiot. A little invisible spirit just behind my shoulder, looking out for me.................only hes an imbecile."

http://www.myspace.com/the__nick
fizz kick

Postby Slade » Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:12 pm

Fizzkick,

And if the question was, "where that guy does the thing with the FORKS," you'd say BENNY AND JOON, right?

Good to see you back. Is my memory correct, what with the old Board gone, that it was your dad who was with the Marines at Guadalcanal?

Slade
Slade

Postby fizz kick » Tue Apr 05, 2005 7:56 pm

It's good to be back.

Well I would want to answer Chaplin, but knowing the clientele of that store I would say Benny and Joon.

Yes, my father was in the 1st Marine Division at Guadalcanal.

Cute little story; my Dad was at the supermarket the other day and he was wearing his Marine Corp. baseball cap. A you guy came up to him and asked if he was really in the Marines and my father said yes and told him when. The young guy look kinda surprised and said "Oh, you were one of those Super Marines?!". My Dad got a kick out of that.

Fizzkick
"Sometimes I think I must have a Guardian Idiot. A little invisible spirit just behind my shoulder, looking out for me.................only hes an imbecile."

http://www.myspace.com/the__nick
fizz kick

Postby specialx » Tue Apr 05, 2005 10:16 pm

Hi Fizz!

nice to see you! I really like that little story about your dad :)

Hey, he was a GI Joe! :D

Eric
specialx
Site Admin

Postby j » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:31 am

Okay, my turn! My name is Jocelyn, I’m 35 and live in Sault Ste. Marie. I have a common-law husband of 9 years, 2 cats, 1 dog and no kids (not by choice) – though I have 5 nieces and 3 nephews that I absolutely adore. Despite the French name (someone always asks!) I come from a close-knit, predominantly Irish family.

For the past 13 years I have worked for an agency that provides supports and services to people with developmental disabilities/mental health issues. Basically, for 8 hours a day I am responsible for the health and well being of 3 individuals in a group home setting. And to think that I started out as a pre-school teacher!

I enjoy the occasional pint of Guinness though you will usually find me drinking ‘vodka and Coke’ or homemade fruit wine on a hot summer day. I listen to a lot of different music with the exception of rap and country – any genre or era as long as it is loud and has a mind-numbing drumbeat usually works for me.

On my days off I can be found reading, working on my house or old car and have occasionally been spotted dancing like a heathen in a bar or two. In the summer I am either outside in the garden or at camp with family and friends. Unlike many here, I don’t watch many movies.

That's about it in a nutshell!

j
j

Postby bladesman » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:39 am

Heh-heh, I only just did this a few days ago and here I am again. :D

I'm Andrew, I'm 34, single and I live in a city called Sheffield in northern England. I'm a postman (mailman) by trade, but don't let that worry you...I only go Postal when the moon is full...heh-heh. :twisted:

Discovered Slade about 15 years ago when I bought a copy of Ghoul just because I liked the holographic skull on the cover. After Shrink (Special X #6) came out, I fell away from Sladism for a while, much to my shame. :( But I recently rejoined the fold, and am currently working my way through the 4 most recent novels. (Although I think I'm gonna save Death's Door and Bed of Nails for my 2-week vacation in Bermuda in June. :D )

My other interests include cinema, poetry, philosophy, astronomy, cartoons (Fairly Odd Parents is my current favourite...its lunatic!), history, football (soccer) and reading pretty much anything with pages, with the exception of slushy romantic novels - blechhh! My obssession is Star Wars...I have a collection of around 600 action figures and various other stuff. My poison of choice is either Carling Black Label beer or Red Square vodka mixed with Red Bull energy drink.

I love the new colour-scheme, by the way...the darker tones are much more fitting for a Slade forum. :wink: I was still working my way through all the topics in the old forum though... :(
bladesman

Postby specialx » Wed Apr 06, 2005 11:11 am

Hey Bladesman,

Yeah, too bad about the posts. We were at 5000 + posts. It would've taken you another few weeks to go through them all!! :P

I like your avatar. Did you do it yourself?

Eric
specialx
Site Admin

Postby bladesman » Wed Apr 06, 2005 2:02 pm

Hi Eric. Its great to be here (again!) :lol:

Not to worry about all the old posts, it means I'm not feeling like I'm playing catch-up with you guys quite as much. And if I wanna make a post, I don't have to look through all those old threads to see if the subject has already come up! :D

I did make my own avatar, yeah...I'm a bit of a Photoshop enthusiast. I wonder if anyone can spot what it was based on? :wink: You'll probably be seeing some more of my stuff in there from time-to-time. I love yours too...SEX MACHINE! :lol: (And Tom Savini too! Heh-heh...) :twisted:
bladesman

Postby FireStar » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:23 am

Hellllloooooooooooo everybody!!! I can't type because there's a baby on my lap!!! *^_^*

For those who don't know me or have forgotten, I am FireStar, Sladist for about 12 years, mother of a very squirmy 6 month old, and one of the original Ghouls (is that what we were calling ourselves?). I'm not around much these days because of my squirmy 6 month old monopolizing all of my time!

Those of you that do remember me, Samara is doing very well. She is getting huge, sitting up on her own, sprouting teeth, and working on the crawling thing!

Eric, the site looks fabulous, although it had me really confused when I first saw it!

Slade, glad to see news of the new book coming. By then Samara will be one, so hopefully I will be able to put her down long enough to actually read it!!!

Love to all,
FireStar
FireStar

Postby moonflee » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:44 am

Howdy Firestar!

Glad to hear everything is going good with the little one.

And yes we are The Original Ghouls.

Are you trying to tell me my reading time to going to diminish more? I've become very adapt at holding the baby and reading. :lol:
moonflee

Postby j » Fri Apr 15, 2005 6:28 am

Welcome back FireStar! Glad to hear that all is well with you and that "squirmy" baby. Has it really been 6 months already?

Just a thought...

Perhaps Slade needs to put his books on tape for all of you parents with wee ones! :wink:

j
j

PreviousNext

Return to Sladists Welcome!