SWASTIKA

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

SWASTIKA

Postby slyragz » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:33 pm

Picked it up Saturday - nice early Halloween present to myself. Almost done.

This SpecialX has been like having someone you've known and thought you knew well let you in on a whole new side of themselves.
slyragz

Postby Slade » Mon Oct 31, 2005 7:29 pm

Slyragz,

It's great to hear from you.

I wish you posted more.

SWASTIKA is a personal journey I had to take. This morning, the Canadian National Institute For The Blind asked me to read from the novel to sightless vets at the Remembrance Day (Veterans Day) luncheon.

My feelings are straight-forward. The blood of those who risk their lives to protect our shared core values had damn well better not be shed for a pack of dirty lies.

There is no dishonor greater than that.

Slade
Slade

Postby MrEd » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:03 am

Just bought "Swastika" earlier today and I'm pretty sure I'll be done with it in a day or two - at most! :D Already up to chapter 6 ('Pandora's Box' ) ! :shock:
"One that will not reason is a bigot. One that cannot reason is an ignoramus. One that dares not reason is a slave." - Anon
MrEd

svastika

Postby Brooster » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:11 pm

Have you ever......washed your hands before handling your newest book?
I have. Am peversly reading only one chapter a day. Verrry Interesting!

Brooster
Its ok to say "I dont know "
once in a while
Brooster

Re: svastika

Postby PohlSE » Thu Nov 03, 2005 7:36 pm

Brooster wrote:Have you ever......washed your hands before handling your newest book?
I have. Am peversly reading only one chapter a day. Verrry Interesting!

Brooster

One chapter a day?!?!?

You either have great will power or are totally masochistic! :D
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby slyragz » Thu Nov 03, 2005 11:08 pm

There are some books, some authors, that make me WANT to take my time.

It's either that or zip thru it and then go back and re-read it, which just isn't as much fun.
slyragz

Postby vlad » Fri Nov 04, 2005 3:27 am

Bah, stupid Coles! [They're the only bookstore in town and their selection is atrocious!] We apparently don't get Swastika out here in the boonies, but perhaps I can locate it if I get to the city this weekend. Shouldn't surprise me, I had to drive to Saskatoon to buy my last couple of novels, Dance Of Death and Anansi Boys, respectively.
vlad

Postby MrEd » Fri Nov 04, 2005 4:35 am

Okay, only 19 pages left as I type this!
I have two 'suspects' in mind and to be honest, I'll be very disappointed if the killer turns out to be either one of them...disappointed in the sense that well before a quarter way through the book the two characters I have in mind were pretty obvious 'suspects' to me...I hope it's just another huge red herring - courtesy of the Sladester!
And no, rest assured fellow Special Xers, I've no intention of revealing anything of any signifigance for at least a couple of weeks or so or until I see that enough people have posted who've read the book - I hate when people do things like that on internet forums.
"One that will not reason is a bigot. One that cannot reason is an ignoramus. One that dares not reason is a slave." - Anon
MrEd

Postby Tautriadelta » Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:35 am

Aaaaaargghhh....I surfed the net last night(nov2 to nov3) while at work and saw chapters website saying they have Swastika...so I ran after work..mornin of 3rd headed downtown Montreal waited until 9 for it...and (sob) was told they had 10 boxes in shipping they hadn't had time to open yet.....how can they do this to me it's torture...been waiting for 2 years for this...but since i made the trip they told me..just call back and we will hold a copy for you...so I went back home to my bed to dream of it some more before back to work again ..where i am now...cannot wait to get my mits on this masterpieace....nuff' said. :(
Tautriadelta

Postby saxonhyde83 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:16 am

Scored a copy of Swastika , at the local Wal-Mart . Haven't read it yet . My late grandfather , God rest his soul , was a veteran of WW II and Korea . He was Private First Class in the US Army .
saxonhyde83

Postby PohlSE » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:42 am

Glad to meet you saxonhyde83!

Slade,

I have a strange question that has been relayed from my father:

Did you purposely name the General's kids after the characters Hans and Fritz from The Katzenjammer Kids?

These are the kinds of questions I've had to deal with for as long as I can remember... :roll:
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby steelclaw32 » Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:57 am

saxonhyde83, a very warm welcome enjoy!!!!!!!!!!!!

And PohlSE, boy DO I know that feeling ! :shock: :oops:

These are the kinds of questions I've had to deal with for as long as I can remember... :roll:
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby Slade » Tue Nov 08, 2005 4:53 am

PoulSE,

Good question. I didn't do it consciously, but might have subconsciously. The two lawyers killed in CUTTHROAT were Murdoch and Maxwell. Someone asked me if I consciously meant the press barons. I didn't. Murdoch was my mom's maiden name. But as for Maxwell, who knows?

Be interesting to see what your dad thinks of the book. Your WWII von Braun wallpaper is dead on what I was thinking.

Your Pacific theater one, too.

Slade
Slade

Postby PohlSE » Wed Nov 09, 2005 1:03 am

So far he's less than a quarter into it and likes it. He usually reads 2 books at a time switching back and forth as his whims dictate, but I'm denying him the latest Turtledove (also WWII related) until he finishes.

Yep, I'm just soaking up that bad karma! :)
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby TBLightning492 » Wed Nov 09, 2005 5:12 am

PohlSE wrote:He usually reads 2 books at a time switching back and forth as his whims dictate,

I'm afraid I share that sometimes annoying habit. Right now its Swastika and '48. Of course, Slade seems to have done his job with this latest tale of Special X, because I haven't ventured back to Herbert yet.

It isn't often that a book makes me want to shrug off sleep and read until 3 or 4 in the morning. In fact, it's usually only when Slade or Preston/Childs puts out a new literary offering. And older King stuff - even though I now read 'Salem's Lot once a year around Halloween, I still hate to put it down everytime.

Ah, books. Such a marvel of human evolution (or gift from God, your choice) to be able to put words to paper and comprehend them.
TBLightning492

Next

Return to Sladists Welcome!