SWASTIKA

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Postby LivingDeadGirl » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:08 am

I had been absent from the site for quite a while unfortunately and just picked up my copy of "Swastika" this past weekend. I only get to read on my breaks and lunches so I'm only half-way through, what I wouldn't give for a sick day to curl up on the couch and finish it in an afternoon...as with all other Slade books I am really into it. I love the fact we get the really sick characters and some great, big old chunks of History too, so it's educational as well as feeding our need for really crazy sick people. From what I've read so far, it's another excellent book.

So when is the next Slade book being released? I'm always ready...
Pleasure is the child of pain
LivingDeadGirl

Postby raasnio » Thu Nov 10, 2005 3:22 am

I only read on my meal breaks as well. I tell myself that I am taking my time with it. Once it is read it will be a good while before the next one is released.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby vlad » Thu Nov 10, 2005 6:38 am

Tried to purchase Swastika last Friday at the Saskatoon McNally Robinson but they didn't have any. The clerk mumbled some sort of excuse about the books being defective and they had to be sent back, a likely story! At any rate, they offered to reserve me a copy whenever they do come in.
vlad

Postby Cawdorgraves » Thu Nov 10, 2005 7:40 am

Vlad the clerk wasn't wrong, you may have missed that thread mentioned just 2 weeks ago that there was a mistake (COLLECTOR'S ITEM) whereby I think 15-30 pages were reprinted in the book. Either way, the books were pulled and reprinted. I believe this weekend/next week the rest of us who didn't manage to preorder or get a copy off the shelves have to suffer and await the mass release. Hopefully soon. then we can take part in discussing the novel. however, to be fair - WE ALL HAVE TO REFRAIN FROM SPOILING ANYTHING!!!!! too soon for everyone to be able to join in with the fun.

The only real negative here is - WE READ IT QUICKLY and then have to wait 1-2 years for another exciting read.

CG
------------------------------------------
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby vlad » Sat Nov 12, 2005 6:50 am

So my delusions of conspiracies are unfounded, eh? Or are they? I'd better leave the tinfoil hat on for now, just in case.

But seriously, McNally Robinson actually phoned today to inform me that they're holding a fresh copy for me. Now I just have to get to the city in the next two weeks...
vlad

Postby Cawdorgraves » Sat Nov 12, 2005 8:29 am

I find it humorus that WE Canadians are so proud of our lil additive "EH" in our language that we feel it necessary to take it to written form. So funny!!!!

Glad you found a copy as well, we shall all get on the band wagon and be on the same plain soon. Will be fantastic. The problem is, we all get to resist the urge to spoil anything. With other novels it has been fairly easy since they have time to settle, this one will be fresh for all of us and we might have to open up a separate forum that we have to sign into to ensure we BLock any unwanted spoilers to be leaked.

CG
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby raasnio » Sat Nov 12, 2005 4:37 pm

Cawdorgraves wrote:I find it humorus that WE Canadians are so proud of our lil additive "EH" in our language that we feel it necessary to take it to written form. So funny!!!!

I grew up in Michigan, just outside of Detroit, and I say and type 'eh' as well. It's so bad that my wife even says 'eh' from time to time and she's from Kansas City. :D

I'm halfway through the book. :)
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio

Postby PohlSE » Mon Nov 14, 2005 4:10 am

Slade,

My father just finished Swastika, he loved it. He is raving about the spot on research and, even more so, the way you put forth the Roswell case.

Being retired from law himself, he loves the step by step progression of the Roswell evidence into a complete, coherent, and 100% believable story.

He is also going on about several other parts but I would be spoiling it for everyone if I post it all. Besides, I'm terrible at transcribing. The gist of it all is that Swastika is now his favorite, and he's pestering me for Special X #12 info. :)

So, super kudos from a former lawyer and lifelong historian!
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby raasnio » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:01 am

Any chance he'll be joining us on the forums now? ;) :D
raasnio

Postby PohlSE » Mon Nov 14, 2005 5:17 am

The best he can manage on a computer is his e-mail and the Drudge Report, beyond that it's a paperweight. :)

I not trying to insult the man, but my five year old is more computer savvy. She just wizzes to all her kids sites, plays online games, listens to online music... Its just amazing.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby slyragz » Tue Nov 15, 2005 2:43 pm

Finished it last night. I know...I really took my time, but as I stated, I couldn't make myself hurry up.

This SpecialX was so very different. It held me spellbound while the story unfolded and I love that the book centered around the story itself, not the characters.

I think Slade truly pulled this one off in grand style. Stories that jump back and forth in time are usually difficult to follow, but Swastika was right on the money.

On a side note...my flight commander (from my Air Force days) was one of the initial test pilots for the F-117. He started flying them the year I was born. Had some pretty interesting tales.

Has it taken the prize as my favorite SpecialX? What a silly question. Of Course...that is until we hit the pacific.
slyragz

Postby Tautriadelta » Fri Nov 18, 2005 8:49 am

Still waiting for Swastika to get to Montreal everywhere i go i get 'it's on order we got x copies comin in.....guess I'll have time to finish Death's Door (for the 4th time) before it gets here.....*sigh :(
Land of our birth,we pledge to thee
Our love and toil in the years to be;
When we are grown and take our place
As men and women of our race.
Tautriadelta

Postby LivingDeadGirl » Mon Dec 26, 2005 7:27 pm

I enjoyed the book, but compared to the past Slade novels, this one left me wanting more. It was tame in comparison to the others. I keep waiting for some terribly vile things to happen and they didn't. All in all I did enjoy it, but would have loved more hard core gore.
Pleasure is the child of pain
LivingDeadGirl

Postby Slade » Tue Dec 27, 2005 6:25 pm

LivingDeadGirl:

It would have been easy to write in "hard core gore." You'll note that the modern murders all take place off-page. I could have described them occurring. But that would have undercut the horror of what ACTUALLY went on at Dora Mittelbau, and what the post-war conspirators covered up. When you title a book SWASTIKA and go where this one goes, different rules apply.

Here's a review out of JANUARY MAGAZINE:

Michael Slade's Swastika is a significant departure for this writer and is probably no one's idea of a sweet and easy holiday read. Fortunately, sweet and easy isn't everyone's cup of tea. Nor, of course, will Swastika be for everyone. Just when you thought you'd heard everything you could possibly ever hear about the mad war Hitler waged in the middle part of the last century, Slade goes and stirs up something most readers will find quite new. The book moves between W.W.II Germany and contemporary Vancouver, where the RCMP's Special X unit is working on linking the development of the Nazi "wonder weapons" with two 21st century psychopaths. Though the ending of Swastika will surprise you, this is a thriller: it's all about the journey. -- Lincoln Cho

Wait till you see what's coming next November.

Slade
Slade

Postby steelclaw32 » Tue Dec 27, 2005 8:35 pm

Well Slade, if there's one thing I've learned from ALL of your books is: expect the unexpected.

What really pipped me off about some of the 'reviews' on that site, was their "bleating" of your history 'lesson/s', and that you were showing off!!!; as the Americans want of saying "well..doh!". It IS THAT bit, and indeed just some of THAT "history" is what MAKES Special X... SPECIAL. You either remind us of a certain junction in time, and how it in many myriad
ways it impeads on the present; or you shake us out of our, dare I say it, complacently .

Yes, Swastika was a very different animal then any of your books, THIS TIME it was personal the very
tenor and texture and indeed 'feel' of the story MADE it so.

It was what you left OUT that got me thinking :shock:

And there is a saying isn't there, along the lines of "it aint over 'till the fat lady sings'.? And as far as I know
she HASN't.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but the fall out from Swastika, is just around the corner :wink:

Wait till you see what's coming next November

It CAN'T come soon enough.

God its great being a SLADEIST ! All in favour say AYE!
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

PreviousNext

Return to Sladists Welcome!