SWASTIKA

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Postby fizz kick » Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:00 pm

Something interesting I just found.

http://dccomics.com/comics/?cm=4663

Must be one of those 'Steam Engine Time" things.
"Sometimes I think I must have a Guardian Idiot. A little invisible spirit just behind my shoulder, looking out for me.................only hes an imbecile."

http://www.myspace.com/the__nick
fizz kick

Postby Wayne R. » Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:58 pm

Just started my copy last night, couldn't wait for a friend's February trip to Canada so I bought one and got it posted over. The good lady wife tolerates this sort of expendature with good humour ("Oh, something else that's going to take you away from me." -the other things being my MP3 player, comics and my PC). She can't understand the thrill of owning something that's 'defective' though. My only problem with it is the fact that it's not a hardback. Was there one?
It might mean February's still on...

Anyway, the reason for the post (yes, there is one) is that just a few pages in I noticed something I've either never seen before or forgotten. It's a collective noun, 'a saddle of Horsemen'.
Is this a Sladism, or a real term? (Or has this been discussed and I forgot?) So far I can only find a reference on t'internet to 'a cavalcade of horsemen', and it's not specific to Mounties.
"If the monkeys can't peel bananas, why teach them rocket science?" - Verbatim reply from a Deputy Director at my former employers' when asked about training.
Wayne R.

Postby Slade » Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:14 pm

Wayne,

It's a Sladism.

Slade
Slade

Postby slyragz » Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:36 pm

Slade - thought about this last night, and forgive my memory if you've talked about it before...but.

Have you ever attended the Red Serge Ball? It's easy to assume, from the detail you place in your descriptions of the people, the place and the event, that you have, but I'm just a nosy person.
slyragz

Postby Slade » Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:34 pm

Slyragz,

Yes. I attended the Red Serge Ball in 1994, and have been guest speaker at three Regimental Dinners. The Ball is as formal an affair as you can imagine, so I had to rent a tuxedo. I told the shop that I wanted duds "as classic as James Bond wears," and they did me up right. There I am, all dressed up and fantasizing in front of the mirror (chest puffed out and gut sucked in for suspension of disbelief), with the fitter fluttering around me for an adjustment here and there, when the shop owner addresses me with one of those understated British butler comments, "I don't know what event you're attending, sir, but I can guarantee that you will be the best-dressed person there."

The Ball, of course, had me dancing around like a penguin displaced from the Antarctic, surrounded by all these dashing Mounties in red serge, spurs and medals.

Slade
Slade

Postby slyragz » Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:09 pm

Ah...romantic and pompous at the same time, just as a proper ball should be.

Sounds like you enjoyed yourself, Cinder-fella, and please know it comes across well in the work.
slyragz

Postby Rush_Grrl » Sun Jan 22, 2006 4:04 am

Sly, nicely stated and great question!

Slade, sounds like a Slady's dream come true! {{swoon}}

"Every girl's crazy 'bout a sharp dressed man" - ZZ Top

:wink:
Rush_Grrl

Postby Wayne R. » Mon Feb 06, 2006 12:31 am

Just thought I'd mention something for 'further reading' after Swastika.
I'm being careful not to spoil the story for anyone, so I'll just say check out 3001 by Arthur C. Clarke. Something mentioned in the latest Slade has a major role in the finale of the series.
"If the monkeys can't peel bananas, why teach them rocket science?" - Verbatim reply from a Deputy Director at my former employers' when asked about training.
Wayne R.

Postby steelclaw32 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:58 pm

This is Blast...IF true it just might, and why shouldn't it be.

:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... 51&pl=true

Try Part1 it's an EYE OPENER.

:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... eo&pl=true

OH I do love good conspiracy !!
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Thank You , Slade!!!

Postby WaywardSoul » Wed May 10, 2006 3:00 pm

I just recently finished "Swastika" and I just had to say, "Thanks Jay, for making my year"!

I'm sure everyone knows what a music fanatic I am, so I almost fell out of my chair when I saw that Slade had used my suggestion for Rammstein's "Du hast" as the killer's music of choice!

And just when I've finished dusting myself off and calmed down, I see Rammstein referenced again, in the cave scene. Wow!

For several days afterwards, I had a smile on my face you couldn't wash off with Ajax!

Ripper is still my favorite, but Swastika will always have special meaning
to me.

Thanks again.
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - Frank Zappa
WaywardSoul

Postby Slade » Wed May 10, 2006 4:03 pm

WaywardSoul,

That's the fun of the Forum. I can post a question here asking for help with a detail, and the answer I get from one of the Sladists in the know becomes a novel in-joke that all of us can share.

At the moment, I'm reading the galley proofs of the Canadian edition of KAMIKAZE, and you - along with several others reading this - have a smile coming this fall.

A lot of good suggestions were made for the music in SWASTIKA, but when I got down to looking at the history of each band, the one that fit perfectly was Rammstein.

Glad you enjoyed it.

Slade
Slade

Postby slyragz » Wed May 10, 2006 5:12 pm

It's like having a private joke, isn't it? Like a secret tucked away in between words and pages. I'm not big on signed copies of books, but this is different, because it's not some author who smiles at you, asks your name, thanks you for your support and scrawls something across the inside cover page. It's a shared thought or feeling, and it's out there for anyone to see, but only you, the author, and the board actually is in on it. It's like an author's true tribute to his fans.

Stop me. I'm in this really odd sentimental mood. Sorry.
slyragz

Postby Slade » Wed May 10, 2006 7:59 pm

Slyragz,

The main characters - this time the heroes - of KAMIKAZE are Americans, so that means I need telling details to characterize them. How easy it is to post on the Board what I need, and to have American Sladists come back in a flash with the inside scoop.

"Full bird colonel."

Notification team.

Etc.

Slade
Slade

More than a little P.O.ed

Postby Sabaism » Wed May 24, 2006 9:40 pm

Hey All,

Last week I happen to be out and stopped at the local Barns and Nobel. Figured I'd pick up "Swastika" and the "Rebel Meets Rebel" cd while I was there.

There didn' have a copy of "Rebel Meets Rebel" which wasn't a total surprise.

So I go looking for "Swastika" and cant find it. Ask the guy working and he looks it up and says "they don't carry that". Thinking I misheard him, I ask "At all or are you just out?"

"We don't carry his books in store. I can order it for you though."

"I can do that myself. At home. While naked and having a beer. I'd also probely get it cheaper."

So there's that. Have to wait a bit to see if there is anything else I want to order, instead of just the one book. Should be getting it soon though.

Oh, I'm gonna try and be around more.
Sabaism

Postby PohlSE » Wed May 24, 2006 10:36 pm

B&N is very bad about that. I have one 5 minutes from home and they never carry Slade's books (Or F. Paul Wilson, BTW). But I can go to the Tom Thumb and find Slade, Wilson, and others not found at B&N.
PohlSE
Webmaster

PreviousNext

Return to Sladists Welcome!