World War II

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

World War II

Postby krista in ma » Mon Apr 11, 2005 2:40 am

1 - the strength of the US navy at Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941... 8 battleships, 6 cruisers, 29 destroyers, 9 submarines, and +/- 390 planes

2 - the strength of the allied forces at Guadalcanal on November 12th, 1942... 29,000

3 - the number of men who raised the 2nd US flag atop Mount Suribachi during the Battle of Iwo Jima... 6

4 - the date the Japanese signed the official surrender papers... September 2nd, 1945

5 - being one of the few, the proud, the sladists, who were among the first to be let in on the topic for lucky number 13... priceless
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Re: World War II

Postby MrEd » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:11 am

krista in ma wrote:
the number of men who raised the 2nd US flag atop Mount Suribachi during the Battle of Iwo Jima... 6

... the flag was raised by five Marines and a Navy hospital corpsman: Sgt. Michael Strank, Cpl. Harlon H. Block, Pfc. Franklin R. Sousley, Pfc. Rene A. Gagnon, Pfc. Ira Hayes, and PhM. 2/c John H. Bradley, USN. 3 of whom did not survive the battle for Iwo Jima. The 3 survivors later posed for the awe-inspiring memorial statue that is certain to bring a tear to the eye and a throb of pride to the heart of every American, especially those of us who are part of the all encompassing brotherhood of United States Marines - past, present + future. Semper Fi!
"One that will not reason is a bigot. One that cannot reason is an ignoramus. One that dares not reason is a slave." - Anon
MrEd

Postby krista in ma » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:38 am

MrEd wrote:... the flag was raised by five Marines and a Navy hospital corpsman: Sgt. Michael Strank, Cpl. Harlon H. Block, Pfc. Franklin R. Sousley, Pfc. Rene A. Gagnon, Pfc. Ira Hayes, and PhM. 2/c John H. Bradley, USN. 3 of whom did not survive the battle for Iwo Jima. The 3 survivors later posed for the awe-inspiring memorial statue that is certain to bring a tear to the eye and a throb of pride to the heart of every American, especially those of us who are part of the all encompassing brotherhood of United States Marines - past, present + future. Semper Fi!

http://www.intrepidmuseum.org/exhibits_ ... tatue.html

"In 1945, on top of the island of Iwo Jima, associated Press photographer Joe Rosenthal captured the image of five American Marines and one sailor raising a U.S. Flag during the height of the battle. This photograph symbolized America's victory in the Pacific and is one of the most recognizable images of WWII.

Even as the battle raged, Navy artist Felix DeWeldon began creating a 12 foot-high sculpture based on Rosenthal's photograph. The statue traveled around the country to help sell war bonds. The sculpture became so popular that it prompted the construction of a larger, permanent statue at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.

When the war ended, DeWeldon's original sculpture was left to decay. Rediscovered by New York collector, Rodney Hilton Brown, the statue was brought to the Museum and restored to its original splendor where it was unveiled on the 50th anniversary of the battle."

krista in ma

Postby WaywardSoul » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:00 pm

So MrEd, you were in the Navy too, huh?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :twisted: I used to address every Marine I worked with as my "Shipmate" and it would drive them crazy!

Seriously though, I've met some really good guys who were Marines, while I served in the Navy.
A few are now life long friends of mine.
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - Frank Zappa
WaywardSoul

Postby MarylandManson » Mon Apr 11, 2005 3:09 pm

krista in ma wrote:1 - the strength of the US navy at Pearl Harbor on December 7th, 1941... 8 battleships, 6 cruisers, 29 destroyers, 9 submarines, and +/- 390 planes

2 - the strength of the allied forces at Guadalcanal on November 12th, 1942... 29,000

3 - the number of men who raised the 2nd US flag atop Mount Suribachi during the Battle of Iwo Jima... 6

4 - the date the Japanese signed the official surrender papers... September 2nd, 1945

5 - being one of the few, the proud, the sladists, who were among the first to be let in on the topic for lucky number 13... priceless

And it will be interesting to see how Slade--in SWASTIKA--ties together Afrika, Schloss Werwolf, the Einsatzgruppen, the Russian snows, and..."47."

And speaking of Slade and SWASTIKA...

Slade wrote:Of all my childhood pleasures, none beats comic books. BLACKHAWK was a favorite. I fell heir to a huge stack that dated from the 1940s, back when there was no Comics Code Authority to tone them down. They were so politically incorrect - Chop Chop makes my eyebrows shoot up today - but WOW! WOW! WOW! were they thrilling. Nazis and Commies. The bad guys were politically evil. Truth be known, it was BLACKHAWK which - deep down - is responsible for SWASTIKA.

I'm hoping to hook my dad--a WWII buff and an old Blackhawk fan--through the jaw with SWASTIKA. Also, I gave Murray Peden's book A THOUSAND SHALL FALL to my brother (who is a pilot) for his birthday as a lead-in to lure him back into the Slade web.

The Board is wonderful for discussing Sladism, but isn't it great to talk Slade "live," with loved ones? The family that Slades together, stays together.

Cheers! MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby steelclaw32 » Tue Apr 12, 2005 2:39 am

MarylandManson : The Board is wonderful for discussing Sladism, but isn't it great to talk Slade "live," with loved ones? The family that Slades together, stays together.

Couldn't have said better myself. And You're so right too :P :D 8)
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby MrEd » Wed Apr 13, 2005 10:31 pm

WaywardSoul wrote:So MrEd, you were in the Navy too, huh?

Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :twisted: I used to address every Marine I worked with as my "Shipmate" and it would drive them crazy!

Seriously though, I've met some really good guys who were Marines, while I served in the Navy.
A few are now life long friends of mine.

Me, a black shoed faggoty-white suit wearing "In The Navy" Village Person?!?!? :evil: Not on your wayward soul, my friend! :shock: (Just kidding! :) )
Seriously, the Navy has some good [points...they serve as wonderful 'taxi drivers', if nothing else! :wink:
"One that will not reason is a bigot. One that cannot reason is an ignoramus. One that dares not reason is a slave." - Anon
MrEd

Postby WaywardSoul » Thu Apr 14, 2005 12:52 am

Spoken like a true Marine! Ha, ha!

Yeah, I was never a big fan of the white suits.
Lucky for me, because of my rating, I only had to wear the dress whites maybe twice a year for inspections.

White wouldn't be very practical for the work I did.
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - Frank Zappa
WaywardSoul

Postby Starra » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:39 am

Since we're getting all elitist about the US Armed Forces, my fiance once said to me,

"Sweety, I'm too smart to be a Marine. The jarheads are more than happy to die for their country, but the Infantry makes others die for theirs."

What's up with all the competition?
Starra

Postby MrEd » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:29 am

Starra wrote:
"Sweety, I'm too smart to be a Marine. The jarheads are more than happy to die for their country, but the Infantry makes others die for theirs."

Wrong! :x We jarheads are more than happy to make some other poor dumb bastard die for their country - Patton was just a Marine stuck in Army greens, was all. :wink: Plus, we do have a rather disconcerting habit of attacking armored vehicles with K-Bars, though... :oops:
MrEd

Postby Starra » Thu Apr 14, 2005 6:54 am

Hey, don't shoot the messenger!

I'm just saying, that's all.
Starra

Postby WaywardSoul » Thu Apr 14, 2005 3:36 pm

Starra, it's basically the old "my dog is better than your dog" type thing.

The U.S. armed services are male dominated and I'm sure I don't have to tell you men are naturally competitive.

The Navy and Marines give each other an especially hard time because they work so closely together, compared to the other branches.
But underneath all the jabs and insults lies a grudging respect.

I can assure you that when the situation turns serious, all those rivalries dissappear.

Your fiance should show a little more appreciation for the Marines that go into a war zone and make things safe enough for the Army to come in and sweep up.

I don't know their I.Q. test scores, but most of the Marines I worked with had guts to spare.

The rivalries are all in good fun, but I respect anyone who serves in the Armed Forces.
WaywardSoul

Postby MrEd » Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:48 pm

Starra wrote:Hey, don't shoot the messenger!

I'm just saying, that's all.

No offense taken, Starra - I was just kidding with ya! :D Though that shooting the messenger thing does have a certain appeal to it...not a long term solution, granted - but a temporary good feeling! (Just kidding!)
MrEd

Postby krista in ma » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:10 am

[quote="WaywardSoul"]The Navy and Marines give each other an especially hard time because they work so closely together, compared to the other branches.[quote]

from "a few good men", this line always cracks me up (no disrespect intended on my part) -

Lt. Kendrick: No, I like all you Navy boys. Every time we gotta go some place to fight, you fellas always give us a ride.
krista in ma

Postby WaywardSoul » Fri Apr 15, 2005 12:41 am

krista in ma wrote:
WaywardSoul wrote:The Navy and Marines give each other an especially hard time because they work so closely together, compared to the other branches.

from "a few good men", this line always cracks me up (no disrespect intended on my part) -

Lt. Kendrick: No, I like all you Navy boys. Every time we gotta go some place to fight, you fellas always give us a ride.

Krista, I hope you were smiling when you typed those words!

We even gave each other grief within the Navy. The guys on submarines were called "Bubbleheads" and had to hear all about "300 men submerging and 150 couples resurfacing".

Those in the aviation field were called "Wingnuts".

The Coast Guard guys got it, too.
We'd just laugh and tell them if their ship ever went down, they could always wade back to shore.

I would tell you what we used to call Marines, but I think that kind of language is against forum rules. :twisted:
WaywardSoul

Next

Return to Sladists Welcome!