To THE GHOULS...

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Postby steelclaw32 » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:49 am

OOOOOOOh nice one Slade. Does that mean there's a new Sparky, and about wreck havoc on the team Special : X is on the horizon.? :shock:

God help them and.... us if that indeed is the case. :shock:
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby dreab trawets » Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:41 am

I will try to get there, means swapping holiday dates, and flying in from Britain,so if anyone else from Britain wants to meet up, we could go in a group, might even get a discount on the flight.. What ya think...
Of course, will they let me out of Britain..
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Mbwun » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:02 pm

Don't know whether I could make it there, but it does sound like fun.

I've never been to Winnipeg - I've been to Flin Flon though. Went shopping at the Hudson's Bay Company store there, on the way back to my parent's home town of Naicam, Sask. after a fishing expedition on Jan Lake, while we were on vacation visiting relatives.

My ex-brother-in-law is from Winnipeg. He lived next door to the house where Burton Cummings, Randy Bachman, and the rest of The Guess Who used to hang at. Bachman gave him some quitar pointers while he lived there.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby MarylandManson » Thu Jul 31, 2008 4:57 pm

Slade wrote:So, if the word goes out, "All aboard, Ghouls," who thinks they might want to ride with me? We're going back to the beginning, as far down in the pit as you can ride the Hellbound Train.

I'd like to catch that train.

Unless WHC has rooms available at the Marlborough, the hotel is booked. It looks like other nearby downtown hotels have no availability, as well. Maybe the Quality Inn and Suites a few miles south on Pembina Highway?

Which might mean I'd like to catch that bus.

Cheers! MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby Slade » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:24 pm

MM,

I'll look into that.

Slade
Slade

Postby krista in ma » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:31 pm

No creepy haunted hotel to stay at nearby? 8-)

I'd like to hop on the train -

That might be too expensive of a flight(s) for me. Off the top of anyones head (I'll do some more looking when I'm not at work - supposed to be working :? ) - are there any major airline hub / airports nearby that it might be cheaper and feasible (spel?) to fly into / get a rent-a-car and drive from?
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby MarylandManson » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:02 pm

krista, it looks to me like Winnipeg is out there on its own. I haven't found any flights less than the $800 range, if that helps you gauge market price.

Slade, I emailed the WHC coordinator to ask about Marlborough room availability through the con--haven't heard back yet....

MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby Slade » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:18 pm

MM,

Minneapolis - the 16th largest metropolitan area in the United States, 3.2 million people - is a seven hour drive to the south. Air Canada frequently has seat sales to and from major U.S. cities. Of course, everything is in turmoil because of the skyrocketing cost of aviation fuel.

Again, no one book until the logistics are worked out. At the moment, it's just a proposal.

Slade
Slade

Postby dreab trawets » Thu Jul 31, 2008 6:18 pm

Found flights from heathrow to winnipeg about 589 return leaving 28 april coming back 7th may. If any one from uk is interested, I looked on line as well at hotels, and yes they is all booked.
Anybody have any tents, sleeping bags...
Scary stories round the camp fire etc....

I drive a tube train through the oldest parts of the underground, so i have seen hell, and yes big rats..
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby krista in ma » Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:23 pm

MarylandManson wrote:krista, it looks to me like Winnipeg is out there on its own. I haven't found any flights less than the $800 range, if that helps you gauge market price....

Looks about $800 for me too. If the outting really comes about.... I may have to start collecting cans or wish you all well and shout "take plenty of pictures for me please" 8-)
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby Vcela » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:39 pm

I might go but I'm not taking a bus to Winnipeg.

Too many Slade-like happenings occuring on them.
Vcela

Postby Slade » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:52 pm

MM,

About that bus trip...

This, today, from THE CANADIAN PRESS:

WINNIPEG - Police said Thursday they didn't know what prompted a passenger on a Greyhound bus heading to Winnipeg to viciously attack the man sitting next to him.

Passengers said the man repeatedly stabbed his seat-mate before beheading him and carrying the victim's head around the bus.

RCMP Staff Sgt. Steve Colwell wouldn't confirm those details, but did say a 40-year-old suspect was in RCMP custody and police were planning to interview him.

No charges were immediately laid.

Colwell said the behaviour of the passengers and driver probably prevented anyone else from being hurt.

"It's not something that happens regularly on a bus," he said. "You're sitting there enjoying your trip and then all of a sudden somebody gets stabbed. I imagine it would be pretty traumatic ... the way they acted was extraordinary."

Colwell said they "were very brave. They reacted swiftly, calmly in exiting the bus and as a result nobody else was injured."

Shocked passengers described the horrific attack as something incomprehensible.

One moment, the quiet man near the back of the bus was minding his own business. The man hadn't talked to anyone around him, and seemed to pay no attention to the younger fellow sitting next to him, who was listening to music on headphones.

The next moment, witnesses said, the older man stood up, still quiet, and repeatedly stabbed, then beheaded his younger victim.

"We heard this blood-curdling scream and turned around, and the guy was standing up, stabbing this guy repeatedly, like 40 or 50 times," Garnet Caton said Thursday from a hotel in Brandon, Man., where he and other passengers had been taken to rest.

"There was no rage or anything. He was like a robot, stabbing the guy."

Caton said the bus stopped and everyone scrambled to get out while the attacker started methodically carving up the victim's body, not paying attention to anyone else.

Caton and the driver shut the bus door from the outside while they waited for police to arrive.

"We put our bodies up against the door, waiting for him to come out ... and he went back and brought the head to the front and pretty much displayed it ... and dropped it on the ground in front of us," Caton said.

"All very calmly. He was wearing sunglasses. It was no big deal to him."

Fellow passenger Cody Olmstead from Kentville, N.S., also recalled the chilling scene.

"The guy came to the front of the door with buddy's head in his hands, decapitated. He dropped the head and went back and started cutting the body back up," Olmstead said.

When police arrived, the victim and his attacker were the only ones left on the bus, Colwell said.

"When attempts were made to have him exit and surrender to police were unsuccessful, additional resources including the RCMP emergency response team and negotiator team were called in to assist."

The man eventually tried to flee by breaking a bus window and jumping out, Colwell said.

"He was immediately subdued and arrested without incident and is currently in RCMP custody."

Both Olmstead and Caton said the attacker and the victim appeared not to know each other.

They said the attacker boarded the bus in Brandon Wednesday night. The victim, who Caton said appeared to be about 19, had been on the bus since Edmonton.

Police would not confirm the victim's age and said his name would not be released until his family had been notified. The suspect's name wasn't released either.

Federal Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day said the full weight of the law must be brought to bear on the perpetrator.

"We want to make sure the process is followed as aggressively as possible, the full legal process ...." Day said from Levis, Que., where Conservative MPs are gathered for a summer planning session.

"This particular incident, as horrific as it is, is obviously extremely rare. Certainly the horrific nature of it is probably one-of-a-kind in Canadian history."

Greyhound called the event tragic but isolated.

A company spokeswoman said bus travel is the safest mode of transportation, despite the fact bus stations do not have metal detectors and other security measures used at airports.

"Due to the rural nature of our network, airport-type security is not practical. It's a very different type of system," Abby Wambaugh said from Greyhound's corporate offices in Texas.

The bus was carrying 37 passengers and the driver to Winnipeg from Edmonton.

A portion of the east-bound Trans-Canada Highway was closed overnight as officers remained on the scene.

Passengers had not explanation either as to what might have prompted the attack. The suspect had been on the bus for only about an hour and didn't even sit near his victim at first.

"He sat in the front at first, everything was normal," Caton said.

"We went to the next stop and he got off and had a smoke with another young lady there. When he got on the bus again, he came to the back near where I was sitting.

"He put his bags in the overhead compartment. He didn't say a word to anybody. He seemed totally normal. About a half an hour later, we heard this blood-curdling scream."
Slade

Postby e_taylor » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:11 pm

As much as I'd love to... I likely wouldn't able to attend. End of April/ start of May will coincide with exam time :(
We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight. - HP Lovecraft in From Beyond
e_taylor

Postby Slade » Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:37 pm

Slade

Postby MarylandManson » Thu Jul 31, 2008 11:39 pm

Slade wrote:MM,

About that bus trip...

Hmmm...

However, what I had in mind was the flight into Winnipeg and a city bus from the motel to the convention. Keeping in mind that the following is strictly hypothetical:

The Quality Inn and Suites is at Pembina and Grant, not too far from downtown via bus. The convention is at Portage and Smith:

http://winnipegtransit.com/TIMETABLE/MAPS/62V9.gif

Good old public trans, a longtime favorite.

There would also be the issue of transportation to Fort Garry and other Sladey sites. All very solvable, of course. But not yet...

Cheers! MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Sladists Welcome!