To THE GHOULS...

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Postby steelclaw32 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:07 pm

Ssssssh! Say nawt dreab "they" might hear you.! :shock: :wink:

You can get away with soooooo much on cartoons.
But surely a line in the sand has to be drawn...

Exactly my point dreab, like I said I've seen some Anima and Manga comics and I was appalled, as I said their paedophile's wet dream
writ large. Disgusting.

I've know doubt there are probably "proper" (want of a better word)
Anima and Manga comics, but their few and far between sadly.
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby Slade » Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:58 pm

To THE GHOULS,

NEW YORK - A rare copy of Edgar Allan Poe's first book has sold for US$662,500, smashing the previous record price for American literature.

And we stood there, Ghouls. We stood there.

Slade
Slade

Postby moonflee » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:45 am

Yes we did!
Nothing’s so loud
As hearing when we lie
The truth is not kind
And you’ve said neither am I
- toad the wet sprocket
moonflee

Postby Slade » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:28 pm

This from the Associated Press:

BALTIMORE - Is this tradition "nevermore"?

A mysterious visitor who left roses and cognac at the grave of Edgar Allan Poe each year on the writer's birthday failed to show early Tuesday, breaking with a ritual that began more than 60 years ago.

"I'm confused, befuddled," said Jeff Jerome, curator of the Poe House and Museum. "I don't know what's going on."

The tradition dates back to at least 1949, according to newspaper accounts from the era, Jerome said. Since then, an unidentified person has come every Jan. 19 to leave three roses and a half-bottle of cognac at Poe's grave in a church cemetery in downtown Baltimore.

The event has become a pilgrimage for die-hard Poe fans, some of whom travel hundreds of miles. About three dozen stood huddled in blankets during the overnight cold Tuesday, peering through the churchyard's iron gates hoping to catch a glimpse of the figure known only as the "Poe toaster."

At 5:30 a.m., Jerome emerged from inside the church, where he and a select group of Poe enthusiasts keep watch over the graveyard, and announced to the crowd that the visitor never arrived. He allowed an Associated Press reporter inside the gates to view both of Poe's grave sites, the original one and a newer site where the body was moved in 1875. There was no sign of roses or cognac at either tombstone.

"You've got so many possibilities," said Jerome, who has attended the ritual every year since 1977. "The guy had the flu, accident, too many people."

Tuesday marked the 201st anniversary of Poe's birth, and Jerome speculated that perhaps the visitor considered last year's bicentennial an appropriate stopping point.

"People will be asking me, 'Why do you think he stopped?"' Jerome said. "Or did he stop? We don't know if he stopped. He just didn't come this year."

Poe was the American literary master of the macabre, noted for poems and short stories including "The Tell-Tale Heart," "The Fall of the House of Usher" and "The Pit and the Pendulum." He is also credited with writing the first modern detective story, "The Murders in the Rue Morgue," which appeared in 1841.

He died Oct. 7, 1849, in Baltimore at the age of 40 after collapsing in a tavern.
Slade

Postby MarylandManson » Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:54 pm

Maybe it was because the Ravens lost in the playoffs!

I like the idea that the big 200 might have been a good stopping point. Nevermore would be fine for the particular tradition, as Poe will long be remembered with or without the cognac and roses.

Cheers! MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby Mbwun » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:06 pm

Maybe it's simply that the person who has been doing this all these years has either passed away, or is too infirm to carry on the tradition any more.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Slade » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:08 am

To the Ghouls (new members welcome):

Slade will be guest of honor at BLOODY WORDS 2011 (June 3 - 5, 2011) in Victoria, British Columbia.

http://www.bloodywords2011.com/

Victoria, on Vancouver Island, is beautiful in the summer:

http://www.youtube.com/user/TourismVictoriaBC

The Royal B.C. Museum has one of the world's best collections of totem poles (PRIMAL SCREAM).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Totem_pole

http://www.flickr.com/photos/kristaeleman/3251617485/

Victoria is also haunted:

http://ghosts-hauntings.suite101.com:80 ... ria_canada

Hatley Castle Victoria
Hatley Castle was built in 1908 for James Dunsmuir who was the Premier and Lieutenant Governor of British Columbia and his wife Laura. In 1930, it was sold and the new owners began to see the ghosts. The spirit of James Jr who was killed in World War I is seen dressed in his military uniform and rising from the lake near the Japanese Gardens. When Hatley Castle was turned into a military academy, the ghost of Laura Dunsmuir started to appear. It is alleged that she would pull the cadets out of bed and there were sightings of tiny old woman. The ghost of Annabelle, a servant who jumped from a window after a love affair, can be seen near the window where she leapt to her death.

Craigdarroch Castle Victoria
Craigdarroch Castle was built in the 1890s for wealthy coal baron, Robert Dunsmuir and his wife Joan. Piano music in the ballroom and the smell of candles have been detected. The ghost of Joan Dunsmuir has been sighted in her bedroom. For some reason, only in winter, the apparition of a woman dressed in white has been seen in the ballroom window.

Slade combined Hatley and Craigdarroch Castles to form Castle Crag on Deadman's Island in RIPPER.

Pioneer Square and Old Burying Ground Victoria
Pioneer Square is also known as the Old Burying Ground. From 1855 to 1873, it was the graveyard for the town. Thousands of bodies were laid to rest and small tombstones still remain. In 1873, the Ross Bay Cemetery was opened and that became the new town’s burial ground. Two spirits have been sighted at the Old Burying Ground. One is Adelaide Griffin who died in 1861 and she wanders around the grounds. The other is founding father Robert Johnson who slit his throat in a house across the street in the 1870s. He is usually seen with a barber’s shaving blade in his hand and going through the motions of cutting his throat.

Ross Bay Cemetery Victoria
Ross Bay Cemetery is the final resting place for many famous people of Victoria and the scene of several ghosts. The spirit of Isabella Ross can be seen, usually looking out over the water. She owned the land where the cemetery was built. There is also the sighting of an unknown lady dressed in white. The misty clad apparition of David Fee is spotted from time to time. He was murdered outside of St. Andrew’s Cathedral in 1890 on Christmas Eve. The ghosts of a couple dressed in Victorian clothing have been seen floating around the west side of the cemetery. Visitors have sometimes spotted a lady darting around in a panic looking for her lost child.

Craigflower School Victoria
In 1918, an old bridge fell into disrepair near the old Craigflower School. During the excavation for a new bridge, several human bones and a skull were unearthed. They were brought into the school and stored in a box. This seemed to cause paranormal activity. The kitchen door would open and close and its own and there was a cool wind inside the building. After the bones and skull were given a proper burial, the activity stopped. Over 50 years later, strange activities started up again. Unexplained voices were heard and a resident dog would get agitated at invisible beings. It was discovered that the school was built on the site of an Indian burial ground.

I suggest BLOODY WORDS should be the second meeting of The Ghouls.

Slade
Slade

Postby Judy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 12:01 pm

My, my . . . I'm all a twitter thinking about this . . . it's looks like i'll have to take out a loan or rob a bank to pay for it . . :roll:

Does one need a passport for this??? I have a passport card but not an actual passport . . . isn't there a ferry ride from Washington state to Vancouver Island???

Details . . . I need details . . . that's the year I'm hoping to retire . . . and will definitely be on a fixed income :cry: plus I'll have to stay healthy enough to make the trip . . . after a minor heart attack in Nov. last year . . . that's definitely going to be a consideration.
Judy

Postby e_taylor » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:42 pm

I've never been to British Columbia, but I'd certainly cross it off my list for this! If I book early enough, I'm sure I can get a fairly cheap flight too!
We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight. - HP Lovecraft in From Beyond
e_taylor

Postby dreab trawets » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:56 pm

Are there any apartments, houses nearby to rent for a week? Get a big enough house, the Ghouls could pool their money to share the rooms?

Thoughts?
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Mbwun » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:41 pm

Judy ... you'll need a passport. You need one now, just to cross the border in a vehicle at one of the border stations, and you'll have to go through some kind of customs station even if you take a ferry. I don't know if you need one to cross into Canada from the US, but your government requires one in order to cross into the US from Canada.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Slade » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:50 pm

Judy,

If you've never driven Highway 101 up the Pacific Coast from California to British Columbia, you are in for a treat. And yes, a ferry crosses from Washington State to Victoria.

Everything these days is expensive, so this might be outside your budget (I did it when it was $25 a night). North of San Francisco, I'd stop at the Benbow Inn:

http://www.benbowinn.com/

In Oregon, I'd stay in Cannon Beach:

http://www.cannonbeach.org/

In Washington State, I'd stay in Port Townsend:

http://www.enjoypt.com/

Or on Whidbey Island:

http://www.whidbeycamanoislands.com/

The ferry to Victoria runs from there.

Slade
Slade

Postby Slade » Thu Jan 21, 2010 9:18 pm

This from BLOODY WORDS:

There are many cheaper places than the hotel for stays. B and B's, the Holiday Inn (I think) right next door, tons of motels, and probably places by the week. We hope to have a "Find a Roomie" address later in the year to help people team up.

It's a year and a half away, so I'll later post what develops.

Slade
Slade

Postby Judy » Thu Jan 21, 2010 10:34 pm

I have English and Canadian nurses that I work with . . . I'll be picking their brains for this . . . :lol: I believe Peter was the one who visited Vancouver Island with his family not too long ago . . . and he was telling me about it.
Judy

Postby dreab trawets » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:41 pm

I was thinking a Ghoul house would be right up our street. Ghost stories, general debauchery, but for us persons in the colonial basecamp, so to speak, the earlier flights are booked, the cheaper.And changing holiday dates for me, putting the kids in cold storage etc.

And picking up on another thread about politics, i think we might have a hung parliament come election time (may ish), or should that be parliament hung?

http://www.answers.com/topic/hung-parliament
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

PreviousNext

Return to Sladists Welcome!