Swastika

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Swastika

Postby FireStar » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:53 pm

Ok, so I finally finished reading Swastika! I miss the days when I could buy a book, sit down, and read it all on the same day! Anyway. . . My overall opinion was that it was good, probably in the top of the middle among my list of favorites.

The good parts: It had a nice strong storyline, it moved at a good pace, and it was "Slady". I especially liked that it was so personal to Slade.

The not so good parts: The end. Not the story itself, that was good, but the way that the end just jumped out and happened and was all over so fast. I always feel somewhat cheated whenever a book has a really fast ending like that. I also did miss the regulars. But on the other hand it was nice for them to get a break, they can only lose so many lovers, body parts, and family members before they truly go bananas!

Anyway, definately keep up the good work and I will yak at you all later!

~FireStar
FireStar

Postby Slade » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:58 pm

FireStar,

It's great to see you back! I wondered where you went to.

Slade
Slade

Postby Cawdorgraves » Sat Feb 04, 2006 8:58 am

I tend to agree with you that this book lacked some of the punch of others but it did allow us the reader to experience new characters and return to other characters.

The ending though was so sudden. I was reading and it ended just so abruptly. Then I was sorta confused if the last few pages were the intro to th next book as some other authors will reveal, but this clearly wasn't the case.

It was exciting to share in the experiences here on the forum, then to see them reinterpreted in the novel for us to enjoy.

Slade - how much does Pink Slade contribute to the stories as compared to you devoting your time to the story and such? I always wonder how novels are written when there are more than one person apart of the process.

Keep on typing them out Slade. How long til we have access to the sequel? It isn't really called Kamakize is it? I will admit, reading Swastika made me feel kinda cautious about where I read it, didn't want to give people the wrong impression, and yet I was asked about the novel more than other novels Slade has released.

CG
------------------------------------------
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby EZ Rhino » Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:33 pm

Yep. It's just about time for my second reading of Swastika. I know I"m gonna pick up things I missed the first time around. That always happens with page-turners like the ones Slade creates.
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby FireStar » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:48 am

Slade,

Yeah, I'm still around. I have been very busy lately with my daughter and my job and my boyfriend who had to get shoulder surgery and who is now driving me crazy because he wants to go back to work but can't yet!!! And I still don't have a computer. : ( I sometimes feel like I am living in the dark ages with the lack of technology I have in my house at this time!!! It's good chatting with you again though! *^_^* I hope you and everyone else here is doing well!

~FireStar
FireStar

Postby Slade » Fri Feb 10, 2006 1:35 am

FireStar,

Visit when you can.

Slade
Slade

Postby craftygal2 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:47 am

I have been reading the book and ist is really gooood. I was reading it on the bus today on my way to work, you should have seen the strange looks that I was getting. I can hardly wait for the next one.

I, also bought the last copy at chapters in West Edmonton mall. There was none in the whole city of Edmonton. :roll:

Keep up the good work.

Crafty
Dance like ... nobody is watch.
Sing like.... No one can hear.
Love like... You've never been hurt.
craftygal2

Postby Slade » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:59 pm

Sladists,

Hunter Goatley is the Administrator (the SpecialX/MM/raasnio) of the Robert McCammon Website. He posted this there:

Has anyone else here read the books by Michael Slade? I'm a big fan of the series, and I just finished the most recent novel, Swastika. I discovered Slade when I saw the hardcover edition of the first Slade novel, Headhunter, and bought it. I was blown away by it, and have been impressed with every novel since then. The novels are set in Canada and detail the serial-killer cases handled by (the fictional) Special X of the RCMP.

One of the reasons I enjoy the books so much is that most of them include lots of historical fact as background for the stories. Swastika's chapters alternate between the present time and World War II; the WWII chapters serve as background for the story going on in the present time. In fact, I'd venture that more than half of the book is devoted to the WWII story, and I found it very fascinating. It details the work of Wernher von Braun, who designed Germany's V-2 ballistic missiles, which were built using concentration camp slave labor. Over 20,000 men who were forced to build the missiles were killed by the Nazis. As the Americans defeated the Nazis, von Braun engineered the surrender of himself and 500 rocket scientists. Von Braun went on to be instrumental in setting up the U.S. space program, designing all of the rockets that put the U.S. into space. A quick 'net search reveals that most of the events covered in Swastika's WWII chapters is historically accurate. You can read about von Braun in this Wikipedia article, as well as many other sites.

In my high school history classes, WWII was reduced to a few names, dates, and places. Due to my WWII ignorance, I had never heard of von Braun, and had no idea that he was smuggled into the U.S., given a clean slate, and became the father of the U.S. space program. And if not for Michael Slade (which is really a pseudonym), I still wouldn't know anything about it.
Slade

Postby Slade » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:03 pm

Craftygal,

The reason you had trouble finding SWASTIKA in Edmonton might be this. On February 19, 2006, the Edmonton Journal did a full-page dual review by two historians (big photo of Himmler in the center) of THE MASTER PLAN: HIMMLER'S SCHOLARS AND THE HOLOCAUST (headline "School of hatred spawned Holocaust") and SWASTIKA (headline "Could Fourth Reich rise in Vancouver? Convoluted plot raises specter as it enlightens.")

Opening lines: "What do quantum mechanics, Nicola Tesla, military 'black ops,' crystal meth, V2 rockets, genetic chimera, the American space program, the 1947 Roswell UFO incident, Hitler's last days, and a herd of hungry pigs have in common? They are all featured in SWASTIKA, the 11th thriller in the Special X series...
Slade

Swastika Hardcover...

Postby okmactac » Fri Mar 31, 2006 8:21 am

For those of us that don't mind spending the extra money for hardcover books...any chance that Cemetery Dance may release Swastika in Hardcover like they did with Death's Door???
okmactac

Postby Slade » Fri Mar 31, 2006 5:05 pm

Okmactac,

Welcome to the Board. The hardcover/trade paperback/mass market paperback issue is a complicated and shifting one. For Slade, it comes down to cost. There are always edition irons in the fire, so let's wait and see.

In the meantime, KAMIKAZE has just gone into production, and Eric will soon be posting both covers and the jacket copy of the Canadian and American editions at the Slade Website. This action, action, action thriller is something different, as you'll soon see. What's the most controversial decision of the 20th century?

Slade
Slade

Postby PohlSE » Fri Mar 31, 2006 9:19 pm

Slade wrote: What's the most controversial decision of the 20th century?

The decision to drop the A-bomb on Hiroshima?

Or were you shooting for the 2000 presidential election? :)
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Syl » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:03 pm

Martin Gelinas' disallowed goal in the Stanly Cup finals a couple years back. IT WAS IN, I TELL YOU!!!

Sorry, smart ass answer to a serious question, but it is the first beautiful day of spring out and I am stuck at work. Not doing much, but I would much rather be on a patio sipping on a wobley pop. Kind of puts me in a silly mood... spring fever, I guess.

I have to agree with PohlSE. I wonder if the bombing would have been as effective if it was done on a deserted island where Japaneese intel could have seen it. Would it have worked as a scare tactic to end the war?

I actually read a short story to do with that... just can't remember the name of it or the author :?

And why Heroshima and Nagasaki? Why not Tokyo?
I am the dawning of a new age
Syl

Postby EZ Rhino » Fri Mar 31, 2006 10:43 pm

Why not Tokyo? I'd always read that it was because there was nothing left of Tokyo. Dropping a nuclear device on a city already laid waste by massive bombing raids would accomplish nothing more than 'bouncing the rubble'.

And welcome to the board, okmactac!
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby okmactac » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:21 am

Wow...I'm feeling the love!!! I post one time and I get a reply from the man himself....Cool!! I will continue to hope for something more from Cemetery dance but until that time I have ordered Swastika from Chapter's....Looking forward to it....
okmactac

Next

Return to Sladists Welcome!