Swastika

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Postby raasnio » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:40 pm

Welcome to the SpecialX Forums, Okmactac.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby Slade » Sat Apr 01, 2006 6:32 pm

Okmactac,

I lived my first eight years in Winnipeg, in Wildwood. That's where I was attacked by Sparky, the neighborhood mad dog. My grade one walking route to school took me through a primal woods along either the Witchy Path or the Ghosty Path. That's where Slade was born. The newsstand at the filling station is where I saw the headhunter image on the magazine cover. So, while most people think Vancouver is the genesis of all the mayhem they read in the Slade novels, the fact is that you reside in the city where it all began.

Slade
Slade

Postby steelclaw32 » Sun Apr 02, 2006 6:54 am

SWASTIKA !

At last I've I read it, took me long enough to get around to it !; well... it was different from the 'norm' Special X as was intended, it WAS cerebral of sorts and (the nearest Jaye will come to it methinks!) maybe that's why some Sladists here are having a kind of sortish problem, geting their head around it, Slade is it possible the next one coming up, has characteristics to/like this one?. It just could be interesting as if you weren't already, :lol: and am I right in thinking it's sort of a sequel?. :shock: :wink:

as the saying goes "things can only get better!"

PS

A very hearty Welcome to Special.X, Okmactac your
in for a blast.! Enjoy :D :wink: :lol:

And if not, why not? Beats looking at TV! It's great being a Sladist isn't ?
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby MarylandManson » Sun Apr 02, 2006 2:22 pm

For me, SWASTIKA exceeded all expectations while reading it, and it has gained ground upon subsequent re-reads. I think it's a masterpiece, albeit one that isn't yet "complete" because I see it as half of a Second World War opus.

Counterpoint has long been a Slade trademark, and SWASTIKA is chock full of it. There's a delicate balance between seemingly disparate characteristics: it's simultaneously thunderous and delicate, lush and breezy, weighty and deft. Also, SWASTIKA crackles with energy that could burn both brightly and long. And if KAMIKAZE is a stylistic departure from SWASTIKA, so it will strengthen the sense of counterpoint.

If it's fair to liken a novel to a painting, maybe SWASTIKA is full of rich tones and images evoked or implied by detailed brush strokes. Based on clues Slade has dropped, perhaps KAMIKAZE will be characterized more by bold, clear linework. We'll have to wait and see (it will never arrive soon enough).

And if it's fair to liken a novel to music, maybe SWASTIKA is a grand Bach composition full of delicate math and eerie power. Perhaps KAMIKAZE will be a more sparse arrangement, punctuated by a rapidly unfolding series of stabbing crescendoes. Again, we'll see.

Speaking of music, the "Pigsticker" chapter of SWASTIKA gave me a feeling that is rare even among Slade novels (others that come to mind are the GHOUL scene in which Sid Jinks rearranges Mohawk's body parts into a face doodle, or in PRIMAL SCREAM when Cy sighs by firelight under the delicate ministrations of the Decapitator). At these times, when reading, I imagine a kind of music like a mixture of THE TWILIGHT ZONE theme and the stabbing violins of the PSYCHO theme. This is the feeling that says, "Welcome to the Slade zone." There's a sense of a murderer's preparations amongst the trappings of insanity that is quite scary. At such times, it's easy to imagine Slade offering a delicately carved, bejeweled, golden goblet ful of gore, grume, and ichor, while saying, "Come taste the madness." Yikes!

Anyway, that's more than two cents' worth, but...there it is.

Cheers! MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

:shock: SWASTIKA !!

Postby steelclaw32 » Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:03 pm

This is Blast...IF true it just might, and why shouldn't it be.

:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-5737681932896358451&pl=true

Try Part1 it's an EYE OPENER.

:
:D http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=1913474363747128107&q=nasa+video&pl=true

OH I do love good conspiracy !!
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Previous

Return to Sladists Welcome!