KAMIKAZE

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Postby WaywardSoul » Sat Mar 04, 2006 5:22 pm

Don't have PowerPoint and see them just fine with Internet Explorer browser.
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - Frank Zappa
WaywardSoul

Postby MarylandManson » Sat Mar 04, 2006 7:55 pm

MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby Cawdorgraves » Sun Mar 05, 2006 12:42 am

Thank you very much for the clarification. What I didn't read in the earlier posts was that the links were on the main slade website, I had thought they were posted here in the forum. That was very interesting. Great work. I thoroughly enjoyed 4/6 of the Swastika images. The Family Tree I must say is the best of them all. But great work indeed.

CG
------------------------------------------
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby e_taylor » Sun Mar 05, 2006 3:39 am

thanks alot mm
We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight. - HP Lovecraft in From Beyond
e_taylor

Postby Mbwun » Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:37 pm

By the way MM,

Nice job done of the presentation. I kind of appreciate getting another workout for my newly-downloaded Microsoft PowerPoint software.

Someone e-mailed me a couple of weeks ago and attached a PowerPoint file to the e-mail. I was about to blast him for sending me a file I couldn't open but decided to Google and see if it could be had for free. Well what do you know - it could!

I found a link on the internet with that file he sent me and thought that some of you here might want another workout for your PowerPoint software, now that you have it on your computer.

A little warning though, if you're not a big fan of Celine Dion, you might want to turn your computer speakers off.

http://www.renesue.com/Miscellaneous/AP ... dEarth.pps
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Slade » Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:25 pm

MM,

You took down your Faulkner post before I could respond. One of your darts hit the inner circle.

Slade
Slade

Postby MarylandManson » Thu Mar 09, 2006 2:50 am

Slade,

Based on turns of geopolitical events, I thought that Faulkner post was bad karma. Besides, I really don't want to know! So it's a good thing I don't remember too much about that post.

Cheers! MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby Phoenix » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:09 pm

so is Kamikaze going to be along the lines of Swastika in style or as the other Special X books in the past bringing back all the characters, the unique killing methods, and great villains?

Bill
Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup."
If the world didn't suck would we all fall off
Phoenix

Postby Slade » Tue Mar 14, 2006 5:37 pm

Phoenix,

I'm past the 2/3 point in editing and revising KAMIKAZE. The book has all the main elements of a Slade novel, but is also something different than what he's done before. Once the manuscript goes into production, I'll drop more clues.

"Where do you get your ideas?" That's the classic question asked of all authors, and for Slade the answer is, "From whatever's going on in his real life." HEADHUNTER came out of the whirlwind of the Clifford Olson case locally, and the Yorkshire Ripper manhunt while John Banks and I were in Britain. Alice Cooper liked it and invited Slade backstage, so that became the genesis for GHOUL. Then I went to China and walked the Great Wall, so what came out of that was CUTTHROAT. Another trip to Britain had me retracing my earlier steps back in 1962 around Jack the Ripper's crime sites, at the same time that I was rereading John Dickson Carr, and venturing off on a side trip down to Agatha Christie country. What I brought home was the plot of RIPPER. Then I was off to Africa - a lifelong Jungle Jay fantasy of mine - and what my imagination churned up was the story in EVIL EYE...

And so it goes.

The point is that Slade doesn't sit down with a set formula and work out a plot that's the same-old, same-old already told. If my mom hadn't died and I hadn't found my dad's war archive, the 11th Special X novel would not have been SWASTIKA. And if those weapons of mass destruction had been found in Iraq, the novel coming this fall would not have the subtext of KAMIKAZE.

Meanwhile, Special X #13 is well into construction, and it will be different because I'm currently living through something else.

Slade
Slade

Postby Slade » Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:35 pm

Sladists,

I just got a look at the American cover for KAMIKAZE. It's really good. In due course, we'll post it at the site.

Slade
Slade

Postby Cawdorgraves » Wed Mar 15, 2006 8:38 pm

Always the tease hmmmm Slade! :P

CG
D E F O R M A T O R Y
Cawdorgraves

Postby Slade » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:16 pm

I have now seen the Canadian cover for KAMIKAZE. It, too, is really good. And they're very different.

Both versions are mock-ups, prepared by the art departments for concept okays. Once they're finalized, both will go up at the Slade Website side-by-side, above the links to the slideshows.

This afternoon, I'll finish revisions to the manuscript. Then all that's left is the line edit - that's the detail work - and proof-reading the first pages, before it's ready for you.

This plot's been bubbling in my mind for close to forty years. "Blood will have blood."

Slade
Slade

Postby Cawdorgraves » Sun Mar 19, 2006 5:43 am

do you want an in depth editor to give you a once over :P

CG
D E F O R M A T O R Y
Cawdorgraves

Postby Slade » Wed Apr 05, 2006 2:36 am

Sladists,

Here's an interesting fellow I came across today. Since SWASTIKA found its inspiration in Bomber Command, and KAMIKAZE found its genesis in the dropping of the atomic bomb, Lord Cheshire, VC, is an intriguing nexus:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A493580

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leonard_Cheshire

Cheshire was one of the two most famous pilots in Bomber Command. The other was the Dambuster, Guy Gibson, VC:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guy_Gibson
Slade

Postby MarylandManson » Thu May 04, 2006 1:46 pm

Well, I'm drooling over the cover art and accompanying blurbs. Genjo Tokuda. Roll that name around your tongue a few times. Which raises an interesting point about Western pronunciation of Japanese. The Japanese way underemphasize the "u" sound, whereas the Western tongue tends to overemphasize it. Also, the Japanese love the "ah" sound and tend to draw it out.

So where the Japanese would pronounce haiku "HAIkooh," the West tends to say "HaiKOOOH." And in Japan Subaru is "sBAAHrooh," not "SOOHbaROOH." So Genjo might pronounce his family name "TOHkdaaah" or maybe "tohkDAAAH." But probably not "tohKOOHda."

Well, no matter how you pronounce it, no doubt the name will figure into some nightmare or another come November.

Cheers! MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Sladists Welcome!