Slade's Vancouver

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Postby Cawdorgraves » Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:43 am

Very nice Starra,

I am considering travelling out to Vancouver/Tafino later this year (June/August). I will be sure to note some places to visit and have those images posted so you aren't alone on this mission to reveal to fellow readers how the real life locations influence Jay in his writings. If only I livd in Louisiana still so I could expand on these pictures for everyone's viewing pleasure.

Jay did you take any pictures on top of the Pyramids while in Egypt (Cairo)? What about in the south Pacific islands for your book 10? It would be interesting to see the images you use to create your books, or do you rely on memory and note made during your travels when constructing your works for our reading pleasure?

jC
------------------------------------------
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby Slade » Thu Apr 21, 2005 3:39 am

Starra,

As the resident shutterbug on the Board, the next time you're in Vancouver, why not take a shot of the Tudor building at 33rd and Heather. The northeast corner office on the upper floor is DeClercq's.

And you could take some snaps from the shoreline of Lighthouse Park. DeClercq's residence is just along the waterfront to the west, and looks across English Bay at Point Grey.

Kits Point is where Chandler lives, and Gill Macbeth is up at the top of Sentinel Hill.

Slade
Slade

Postby Starra » Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:24 am

That's the plan for this weekend if this weather holds, Slade.

But, ya gotta tell me two things, please.

1) Was I right about West of Java being Nick Craven's apartment building?

2) Have you checked out Schlockbuster Video on Lonsdale Ave? Bills itself as a Art House/Foreign/Horror movie video rental place. Has a mannequin dressed up as Hannibal Lecter, complete with mask and straightjacket in the front window.

Edited to add:

I'm also going to try to get some shots of the shark tank at the Aquarium, but it's SO dark in there, I'm not sure it will work. I might also try to get to the MoA and get some pics of the long houses out back. If memory serves, Chloe or Zoe was hung from one of them in Ripper.
Starra

Postby nubbydigit » Fri Apr 29, 2005 9:36 pm

I've never been to Vancouver, but I would love to see the totem poles in Stanley Park. Is that a possibility?
nubbydigit

Postby Starra » Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:20 am

Sure thing nubbydigit!

I didn't get out last weekend due to plumbing issues here at home. I'll see what I can do about getting out tomorrow.
Starra

Statue

Postby Presea » Sun May 29, 2005 2:23 am

In the heart of vancouver, the statue mentioned in Hangman (King DEdward eVIL) is there, if you wanted to get a pciture of it.
Give in the the Danse.
blood.and.gold@hotmail.com
Presea

Postby Jake » Sun Jan 15, 2006 8:17 am

As another Vancouverite, I love the idea of photographing Slade locations. I have walked past the Heather St. building in the past, and if it ever stops raining I will take a hike up there and take a few pictures for everyone.

I have just started re-reading all of the books from the start (first read Headhunter when it first came out over 20 years ago!), so I will try to make some notes of locations that I have forgotten.
Jake

Postby Slade » Sun Jan 15, 2006 6:28 pm

Jake,

"A picture's worth a thousand words," so think of the effort you'll save me!

Slade
Slade

Postby Jake » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:39 am

Ok, lets see if this works...

Here are a couple pictures of the Heather St. Hq for Special X.
To see these full size, as well as 7 more, go to my Flickr page, and check out the "Slade" set. http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakeinvan/
Jake

Postby Slade » Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:55 am

Good work, Jake. That's the Tudor building, Sladists. Go to the "turret" at the far right of the top picture and that's the office of C/Supt. Robert DeClercq on the upper floor. Can you see him staring out of the windows at you? Next to the Strategy Wall?

I think you're going to be a fine addition to the Board, Jake.

Slade
Slade

Postby Cawdorgraves » Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:14 am

wow that is quite beautiful. I am certain that the employees that work from that location must feel very honored to work from that location.

CG
D E F O R M A T O R Y
In The Wake Of Pestilence
https://deformatory.bigcartel.com
Cawdorgraves

Postby The Card Player » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:15 pm

Wow. Great pictures.

Being stuck in Quebec, I could only imagine Vancouver. Now I can see what it looks like.

For some reason...It looks very similar to what the books had me imagine!
The Card Player

Postby Jake » Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:56 pm

Thanks! It is a very beautiful building. I walk to Queen Elizabeth Park quite often, and the building is only a block away from there so I have checked it out many times. This was the first time I have photographed it though. I half expected Mad Dog to come crashing out of those heavy doors and demand my camera for taking pictures of a high security building or something.
Jake

Postby steelclaw32 » Tue Jan 17, 2006 11:15 pm

Stunning photo those Jake very well done there.

Brings truly Special X books and it's environs that bit nearer to 'reality' and for visualization for that matter.

Many thanks for sharing them all
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby GestaltAmigdula » Sat Jan 21, 2006 3:51 pm

The photos of Vancouver, and its vicinity, many Sladists have posted throughout this thread are quite pretty. I've had a good time viewing the headquarters on Heather Street.

What would be the possibility of gaining access to the inside of the building to be shown some snapshots? That would be a treat!

Thanks to all who have contributed their photographic skills.

Also, belated welcome to the board The Card Player and Jake. 8-)
There is distortion even in the play and dreams of children. -Robert Engler
GestaltAmigdula

PreviousNext

Return to Sladists Welcome!