Headhunter film

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Headhunter film

Postby ichorous » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:29 am

Hi everyone,

This is my first post to the forum. I had a chance to see Slade last night (Jay, Rebecca AND Lee Clarke) and I wanted to share some of the things Slade said about the planned film adaptation of Headhunter.

Slade said he was happy with the choice of Patrick Lussier as director and mentioned that Lussier has always wanted to adapt Headhunter. He said that Lussier, fresh from completing the sequel to White Noise, was asked by Brightlight Pictures what project he would like to work on next and said he had wanted to direct Headhunter for the past twenty years. Slade also said he had read the first draft of the screenplay by Wil Zmak and liked what he read. The second draft is due to be completed soon. Good news for Sladists I'd say.

By the way, I was able to get my British hardcover of Ghoul signed by Jay and Lee Clarke so that was really special for me. They mentioned that it's rare to get Lee's autograph for Ghoul :)
"It's all true. God's an Astronaut. Oz is over the rainbow. And Midian is where the monsters live."
ichorous

Postby steelclaw32 » Wed Dec 13, 2006 2:40 am

:D :D AND a warm welcome to the board old man.

You're or one lucky sod.! Fair play to you. Image
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby Slade » Wed Dec 13, 2006 6:39 am

Ichorous,

Extremely rare to have Lee's signature on the British edition. Like maybe one of three, if that. Because the British edition wasn't sold over here, and because Slade wasn't in Britain when the edition came out, and because Lee is rarely at events, the stars must align perfectly for the book, the hand, and the pen to be in one place.

In fact, it wouldn't shock me if that is the ONLY copy signed by the two of us.

And all because of a tree.

If a tree hadn't fallen across the Stanley Park Causeway, cutting me off from the event, I wouldn't have fallen back on Plan B to get across the water, and Lee would have been off preparing for Xmas.

You just never know...

Slade
Slade

Postby PohlSE » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:27 am

Nice to have you on the board, ichorous!

Cool Peloquin avatar, by the way.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Christie1 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:18 pm

2009 thats way too long!!!!! Dont think a film could do Headhunter Justice...Its just too clever and interwoven to be crambed into a film...But IM STILL EXCITED and will be first in line at the cinema..
Christie1

Postby steelclaw32 » Sat Sep 01, 2007 11:00 pm

Gooday ! And very warm welcome to the site Christie.!

Its just too clever and interwoven to be crambed into a film...

That's what's buggerin' me too, since we first heard it was to made into a film.

But, I think we trust Wil to get as near to it as he damn well can, and I'll bet it's no easy task, I certainly don't envy him one bit. :wink:

Anyway welcome again, and remember do have fun. :P
steelclaw32
steelclaw32

Postby inkuryakin » Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:52 am

A Headhunter Movie? I'll cross my fingers and hope it's a good adaptation. The only sad thing is my normal experience has been that a movie can be good but then the book will be better, savored after the visual experience. A movie after a good book always seems somewhat of a letdown. For the sake of editing and time constraints, too much gets left out that is really great in the books. I feel let down in that respect. Still I hope it goes well and is a success. I'll see it regardless whether it be critiqued as great or a bomb.

Lil
inkuryakin

Postby marcd » Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:37 pm

Slade,
Just curious any news on the movie? I know with the writer's strike it may have delayed some. Just wondering.
marcd

"It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada. RONNIE HAWKINS
marcd

Postby marcd » Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:56 pm

I watched the season premiere of NCIS. And at the end, they hit right between the eyes. Now, I hope the ending of 'Headhunter' can pull the same. Let's just say, a fox in the hen house was delivered with great inspiration. Slade, I am wondering if Shane Brennan (writer-exec. producer) read your book.
marcd

"It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada. RONNIE HAWKINS
marcd

Postby steelclaw32 » Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:03 am

Slade. Any word on Headhunter then.?
Sorry just gettn' itchy. :D
steelclaw32
steelclaw32

Postby Bombz Away » Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:40 pm

steelclaw32 wrote:Sorry just gettn' itchy. :D

Theres a lotion for that I'm sure!!! :lol: :lol:

Sorry couldn't resist.... Glad to see you back mate! :D
Bombz Away

Postby Slade » Tue Nov 04, 2008 5:40 pm

Steelclaw,

It's good to see you back.

I met with the producers yesterday. Things progress. The movie biz in the 21st century is very complicated. Dollar fluctuations have a huge effect. Just keep the faith and it will happen.

Slade
Slade

Postby steelclaw32 » Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:12 am

Bombz Away wrote
Theres a lotion for that I'm sure!!! :lol: :lol: Sorry couldn't resist.... Glad to see you back mate! :D

I could have used a bit of that Bombz.!!! Indeed I'm glad to be back too. :D :lol:

Slade wrote
Steelclaw,
It's good to see you back.
I met with the producers yesterday. Things progress. The movie biz in the 21st century is very complicated. Dollar fluctuations have a huge effect. Just keep the faith and it will happen.

Slade

:D Lovely thanks for that Slade.
With things happening over the border the real thing like "Headhunter" might've been put on 'hold'
or summat, was crossing my mind.
steelclaw32
steelclaw32

Postby Mbwun » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:34 pm

I know we're discussing the actors we'd like to see play the characters in the film now, but exactly how close are we to this film actually being made?

Some quotes from Patrick Lussier in recent articles aren't making it seem as if filming is imminent:

January 15:

Lussier also mentioned a dream project he’s been hoping to get off the ground for a while now, an adaptation of Michael Slade’s Headhunter, which he calls ”an incredibly brutal murder mystery that takes place in two or three different time periods, all centered around the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Coming from Canada, that is a big thing – my grandfather was a Mountie. It is a project I would love to do.

Source: http://www.dreadcentral.com/story/lussi ... headhunter

January 9

The film adaptation of HEADHUNTER, Michael Slade’s book is still something I want to make and have wanted to make for years now. But as usual, the future is the hardest thing to pin down and it’s usually the thing you don’t expect that surges forward.

Source: http://famousmonstersoffilmland.com/tag/the-crazies/

And, if filming is imminent, when can we expect the listing for it at IMDb to be made available to those who aren't in the lofty position of being members of IMDb Pro? I can't afford to pay to be there, and I'd be very interested in seeing what, if any, discussion has gone on about the film.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0869066/

I mean, the listing for the film adaptation of Steve Alten's novel MEG has been available to anyone registered there for a few years now, and that film has been in production limbo for so long, the discussion board has now degenerated down to being a defacto discussion board for discussion of things related to all of Steve's work, in the same way as this board is the forum for Slade's fans to discuss whatnot.

Why is it that discussion about some films has been made available to the masses, but others have been kept in the realm of the privileged few there?

And while I'm at it, someone needs to inform IMDb of the need to amalgamate the two listings they have for Slade, since 2. Michael Slade (V) (Writer, Headhunter (2009/II)), and 4. Michael Slade (III) (Self, Scribes (2004) (V)), are one and the same person.

http://www.imdb.com/find?s=nm&q=michael+slade&x=11&y=3
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Vcela » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:02 am

Yes, I'd love to hear an update from Wil or Slade or Patrick. Hopefully the ingredients are being gathered, heck we've got a great casting list, a soundtrack and graphics put together already!

If there is a trailer, I'll do the voiceover for it.
Vcela

Next

Return to Sladists Welcome!