Ripper

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Ripper

Postby dragondreamer » Wed Dec 20, 2006 9:27 am

Ok, So I know ALL the books are great, but I think my first post here should be about MY FAVOURITE!!!

I grabbed Ripper off the shelf at a book store when I had nothing else catching my eye. I'd always been a wonderer about dear ol' Jack and walked out with my new purchase.. boy was I in for a surprise... and a treat!!

I read it cover to cover that night... then started it again.. I found things the second time I read it that, in my hurry to see what happened next, I had missed the first round.. and in the third reading I had missed the second... Then I made it back to the bookstore to buy more novels... close runners-up were Headhunter, Primal Scream, Burnt Bones, Cut Throat.. ok.. so I like them all..

And yes, I did read them all out of whack as far as 'in order'...kept me hopping...

I have read so many authors, and I can say "Oh, yeah you'll like _________. It was a great book." But I keep going back to Ripper and re- reading it.. I can't help it. It draws to me I guess. And when someone asks what they should read in the genre I always say "Ripper.. and don't plan on getting anything else accomplised until it's over."

My avatar is of the cover I have of Ripper.. in much better shape! I have read and re-read it so much that it does show plenty wear.. all in love I assure you. If you're ever down South, Slade, that is the book you'll be signing... my starting point to the addiction!

So with that, thanks for the novels, thanks for the chiils, sweats, and suspence... Thanks for being you.

Keep them coming!
DD
dragondreamer

Postby steelclaw32 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 1:09 pm

:) Nice, now get yeself to your nearest book shop and get: KAMIKAZE and SWASTIKA. :shock:

They'll blow you away.! :D :wink: :P And welcome again.
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby dragondreamer » Sat Dec 23, 2006 4:57 am

My bookstore doesn't carry Slade... HORROR of HORRORS!! BUt I will be ordering them.. Can't wait!!

Thanks for the Welcome
<i>"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his only punishment is that he sees dawn before the rest of the world."
dragondreamer

Postby PohlSE » Sun Dec 24, 2006 2:20 am

Welcome to the big show, dragondreamer!

I would have welcomed you sooner but... Tis the season to be very, very, VERY lazy!! (I'm talking some serious, artery clogging, muscle atrophing, mind numbing, light sensitizing lazy here!) :mrgreen:

I also am surrounded by bookstores that don't keep Slade stocked. I think it may be because the the region we live in.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby steelclaw32 » Sun Dec 24, 2006 9:00 am

Oh bloody hell PohlSE,! Imageyou've just described my old Headmaster in my bording School.! Image
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby PohlSE » Sun Dec 24, 2006 6:48 pm

I have been so busy up to the holiday season that I've decided to turn into lump for awhile. :lol:

I need to update a bunch of stuff and put some new images online but I'm just enjoying the unstructured nothingness too much. :wink:
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Slade » Wed Dec 27, 2006 8:58 pm

Dragondreamer,

By way of welcome to the Board, I'll let you be the first to have the first clue to Slade 13.

13 befits the number, and the inspiration was an element of RIPPER.

Cryptic enough?

Slade
Slade

Postby dragondreamer » Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:55 pm

Sorry about the silence from me, but I just caught this reply, my dear Slade.. and me brain has a wee tickle & itch..

I think it's time to go re-read Ripper.. :idea:
<i>"A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his only punishment is that he sees dawn before the rest of the world."
dragondreamer

Ripper obsessee #2

Postby Sike » Fri Jan 12, 2007 10:09 pm

Hey Dragon.

I only have six of the Slade books at present :oops: such a travesty!

But I have to agree with you on the exellence that is Ripper.

I had recently read Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" so I was very pleased to read the parallel occurence on Skull and X-bones' own island.

If you were intrigued by the occult connections of the book, I would recomend checking Crowley's "Book of Thoth" and his Thoth Tarot cards.
The cards are stunning and complex. The suit cards are just as interesting as the trumps... each suit card has its own second name.

The Book itself is thick reading, but worth skimming through at the very least.

Here are some links where you can check it out:

http://www.ashami.com/eidolons/The_Book_of_Thoth

http://www.angelfire.com/ct2/CelestialRealm/toth/tarot.html

-Sike
Sike

Postby Slade » Wed May 02, 2007 5:08 pm

Slade

Postby DEADSY » Fri May 04, 2007 3:44 pm

Ghoul
DEADSY

RIPPER

Postby The Doctor » Sun May 06, 2007 6:20 pm

Ripper unfortunately was my weakest book, though I never like to admit that a Slade book is bad or worse.
It never reached expectations, where as Ghoul was my first introduction to this master of writing.
Shrink was my most must have book from the moment I knew it was being produced to receiving and reading so swiftly.
I mentioned my love of Slade books recently to Lloyd Levin, he says his going to check him out!!! I hope he manages to convince Hollywood of his new discovery!!
When is book 13 going to hit the book shelves??
I'd love to write a chapter for book 14...
The Doctor

Postby raasnio » Mon May 07, 2007 9:52 pm

Lloyd Levin, eh? He's definitely the kind of person it doesn't hurt to recommend a story to. 8-)
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby Slade » Tue May 08, 2007 3:05 pm

Doctor,

# 13 will be published in the spring of 2008.

# 14 will be published in the fall of 2009.

Many thanks for mentioning the series to Lloyd Levin.

Slade
Slade

Postby The Doctor » Tue May 08, 2007 8:20 pm

No problem, when an author is as good as Slade and not internationally recognised, then you just have to seize the moment. The funny thing is, I honestly didn't know who he was. He even turned down a chauffeur ride in a bentley to ride in the fleet's Volvo estate!! That just has to be fate!
The Doctor

Next

Return to Sladists Welcome!