Ripper

A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Ripper

Postby Hydebound » Wed Aug 15, 2007 4:17 am

RIPPER is a favorite of mine as well; a good read that also introduced me to John Dickson Carr's 1938 thriller THE JUDAS WINDOW. I was a Golden Age mystery nut for years and somehow missed this little gem, which Slade called the greatest locked room mystery of all time. It is unsurpassed in its elusive, ingenious simplicity, but my two favorite classics of "explaining the impossible" are Carr's THE THREE COFFINS and Hake Talbot's amazing THE RIM OF THE PIT. Those with an interest in quaint, puzzle-based mysteries should check 'em out. BTW, should I be embarrassed by having never heard of Lloyd Levin? Clue me in, fellow Sladists!
Hydebound

Postby Slade » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:15 am

Hydebound,

THE RIM OF THE PIT!! You will be a great addition to the Board, and by way of welcome, I'll give you a clue.

#13 will be right up your alley.

Slade
Slade

Postby Hydebound » Wed Aug 15, 2007 9:57 am

You honor me, sir. Now let's see--- right up my alley--- hmm. Nothing yet, but I'll puzzle 'til my puzzler is sore working on this. Thanks!
Hydebound

ripper

Postby sideshow » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:30 pm

well it all started with Ghoul for me, but then I got a copy of Ripper...I thought Ghoul was heavy but I was in no way prepared for the attack of Ripper...not only did it tie in some loose ends in my own theories about dear ol' Jack but began an obsession with Slade which has continued through all the special x books up to this point. Then I found out that the son of Jay Clarke had a doubious past with my ex-wife(he stole a bunch of cd's from her) and he(Jay) helped get back the ones that could be gotten back and paid for the ones that were gone for good. Totally wierd thing was it was just b4 I met my wife in early 95 and was introduced to the special x stories a few months later after I met her. Tottally stand up thing for him to do considering he really had nothing to do with her cd's being stolen, but knowing most of them were imports and rarieties he did his best for her who was a total stranger to him and came thru like a champ ...thanx slade very cool....sideshow
sideshow
sideshow

Postby Slade » Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:48 pm

sideshow,

Funny you should post that, for only last week, I learned there is another Jay Clarke floating around. I suspect your story has to do with him, since 1/ I don't recall the incident, and 2/ I don't have a son. But by all means, continue to think of me as a champ.

Welcome to the Board,

Slade
Slade

Postby Slade » Fri Oct 26, 2007 5:47 pm

Hydebound,

I'm currently rereading Hake Talbot's THE RIM OF THE PIT. I last read it when I was a teen. By the way, you'll find two "locked room" puzzles in Number 13.

Slade
Slade

Postby Hydebound » Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:45 am

I figured #13 had some connection to classic "puzzle" detective fiction, as did Ripper. And it's been years since I read Rim of the Pit myself. Isn't there another Hake Talbot book in existence?
Hydebound

Postby Slade » Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:46 am

Yes, THE HANGMAN'S HANDYMAN:

http://www.ramblehouse.com/hangmanshandyman.htm

You'll note we're discussing "impossible crimes" on the AND THEN THERE WERE THREE COFFINS in Multi Media.

Slade
Slade

Postby EZ Rhino » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:58 pm

If I remember correctly, Ripper is where I first encountered The Plowmen Poets. I'm not much for seeking out poetry but I happened upon this one and I liked it:

Stephen Crane

In the Desert

In the desert
I saw a creature, naked, bestial,
Who, squatting upon the ground,
Held his heart in his hands,
And ate of it.
I said, "Is it good, friend?"
"It is bitter – bitter", he answered,
"But I like it
Because it is bitter,
And because it is my heart."
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby marcd » Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:13 pm

EZ, Love it. It so works for 'Ripper'!
marcd

"It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada. RONNIE HAWKINS
marcd

Previous

Return to Sladists Welcome!