A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Postby slyragz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:42 pm

Just as long as you don't call #13 "Peace Sign"

Hah!
slyragz

Postby PohlSE » Mon Aug 13, 2007 6:15 pm

Slade,

I remember a year or so ago you had mentioned a Civil War connection for the next book. Has that been pushed back to #14?

I also remember that at one point we were guessing titles and you mentioned that one of the titles we had made up was one that you had considered.

I wont say what thread it was mentioned in but it is still on here... :)
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Slade » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:15 pm

Slyragz & PohlSE,

When you see the title, your likely reaction will be "Uh-oh!" (and PohlSE will be fumbling to get to his art equipment).

The Civil War plot is still turning over in my mind, but I'm not there yet. And yes, one possible title for that book was guessed.

#13 is written, #14 is plotted. Hard to know which will surprise you more. What's telling about this stage in my dual career is that I can look back and see all the milestones that brought me to here, and those forks in the wood that Frost wrote about:

THE ROAD NOT TAKEN (1915)

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth.

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same.

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I--
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

Slade
Slade

Postby PohlSE » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:30 pm

Slade wrote:When you see the title, your likely reaction will be "Uh-oh!" (and PohlSE will be fumbling to get to his art equipment).

The Civil War plot is still turning over in my mind, but I'm not there yet. And yes, one possible title for that book was guessed.

:oops: :oops: Guess I better shelf the Civil War themed stuff, huh? :lol:
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby slyragz » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:46 am

So, if you had not chose to pursue the law, what would you have done? I've often heard my friends and accomplices say that the best lawyers (criminal defense) could have gone either way and that's what made them so good at what they did.

Then, on a whim perhaps, you and two friends created Senor Slade and gave him a voice - how very good you were, but it stayed with you, a part of you evolved further into Slade, but if Jaye Clarke could tell a story - is this what we would hear?
slyragz

Postby Slade » Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:42 am

Slyragz,

Being a criminal lawyer, and being a crime writer, involve the same skills. Plotting. Taking pieces and weaving them into a story. I have both prosecuted and defended, and I enjoy both roles equally. Prosecuting takes the greater skill, because it's harder to create than it is to destroy. You have to build a case that's beyond reasonable doubt. And there's no better training for that than to have been - or also be - a defense lawyer. How lucky I am to have "strapped on the rig" in a time and place where I could do both.

What I meant by the fork in the wood is that I have to choose. Writing allows me the joy of giving all you spread around the world a story to let you fantasize - at least for a while - a window out the troubles of your everyday lives.

However, there's no thrill like the adrenaline rush of a BIG trial, and several of my lawyer friends are involved in the current Gunfight at the OK Corral.

So while I write in solitude, I can't help but fantasise about SHANE strapping on the rig and riding to town.

One job makes you a loner. The other job has you fanning the hammer in the thick of the smoke.

Slade
Slade

That fork in the road . . . .

Postby Judy » Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:31 pm

I agree that there are many of these in life . . . . but I believe that having chosen law first has given you much in the way of experience to be able to so successfully do the later. Being a lawyer has also guaranteed you an income . . . sometimes being an author doesn't always provide that. And of course there is always the distinction of "being a loner" versus being lonely . . . creativity is basically a lonely pursuit. I enjoy the act of creating (whether it be a drawing, a cross-stitch piece, baking, whatever) and if that act pleases someone else - then it's all the sweeter . . . but if that doesn't occur - I still gained enjoyment myself.

Just my .02 worth. Judy
Judy

plan ahead

Postby bloodyhands » Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:45 am

Slade how far do you plan ahead when you write a book? Do you plan 2 or 3 books ahead of time?
bloodyhands

Previous

Return to Sladists Welcome!