A place for Sladists to share their thoughts on Michael Slade and his work...

Postby Slade » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:02 am

Rush,

I hope I'll meet them. Soon, I'll tell you the story why # 13 is important to me. There is a clue at the Website, but you have to read between the lines.

Slade
Slade

Postby steelclaw32 » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:54 am

I was born on the 13th (Tuesday) thank god! so my mum told me, as her presence was required :shock: :lol:

Damn I must of done somethin' fierce, 'cause I was locked up for two months in an incubator. ! :(
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby Brad Smith » Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:21 am

I'm really looking forward to this one . . . .

Should we start a dead pool . . . ?
Brad Smith

Postby slyragz » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:19 pm

hint-hint....I've noticed that some authors post the first chapter of an upcoming release on their website.

Did anyone ever hear this.... sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission
slyragz

Postby Slade » Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:26 pm

Slyragz,

I'll discuss that with the powers-that-be. At the moment, all sorts of business pieces are falling nicely into place. Once we know all the players, we can finalize the title. Once the title is set, they can get to work on the covers.

When you get a look at # 13, you'll see why I'm being so cagey.

Slade
Slade

Postby steelclaw32 » Fri Aug 10, 2007 10:02 pm

slyragz wrote:hint-hint....I've noticed that some authors post the first chapter of an upcoming release on their website.

Did anyone ever hear this.... sometimes it's better to ask forgiveness than it is to ask permission

Actually I have Sly. Another great writer is Steve Berry

like our Slade, he loves History, and like Slade he brings all to rivetingly to life.

Please check THIS out : http://www.steveberry.org/

and then click on Alexandria book which in turn will take you to THIS. :

http://www.steveberry.org/alexandria.html

then click on the right hand side (on the coin) and waaaaaay you go have fun...and you will.

Like I said Slade Loves HISTORY very much, Steve Berry's a soul mate. He's not as yet got a forum :( but hopefully he will.
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby TwiztdFidgt » Sat Aug 11, 2007 7:09 am

When you get a look at # 13, you'll see why I'm being so cagey

Could that be another hint??? Or am I just so desperate for one that I'm over-thinking things?
Lawyer: "Any suggestions as to what prevented this from being a murder trial instead of an attempted murder trial?"
Witness: "The victim lived."
TwiztdFidgt

Postby Mbwun » Sat Aug 11, 2007 3:50 pm

TwiztdFidgt wrote:
When you get a look at # 13, you'll see why I'm being so cagey

Could that be another hint??? Or am I just so desperate for one that I'm over-thinking things?

I was thinking the same thing, TwiztdFidgt.

So let's see now ...

Two things that have been said by Slade that seem like hints:

1. The term "band width" from another thread, and

2. The term "cagey" here.

Hmmmmm.

The only band I can think of is the one Saxon Hyde was in, and he's dead ... isn't he? Maybe another member of the group?

And then we've got Ghost Keeper, a member of Canada's First Nations. They sometimes refer to their groupings as Indian Bands. Maybe he plays a prominent role in this one.

Hmmmmmmm.

Now cagey brings up memories of Mephisto's latest adventure in "Death's Door" where keeping people in cages was an integral part of the plot. And the last place we saw Mephisto was in LA, living in a house where there were a couple of cages awaiting occupants.

Could #13 see the return of DeClerq's favourite nemesis? 13 would seem like an appropriate number for his reappearance ... wouldn't it?

Hmmmmmmmmm.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Slade » Sat Aug 11, 2007 4:29 pm

You folks are good at this, so you will get clues. But if you pick up on things that aren't clues, then you'll be planting your own red herrings.

So open minds are a must.

Slade
Slade

Postby rick007 » Sat Aug 11, 2007 11:28 pm

Well Slade I for one as a (hopefully up and coming) writer I would like to go to Surrey but I don't know if airplanes are wheelchair accessible. BTW do you have a define release date for Slade #13?
"The Duke and the Fish-man enter the woods disguised as Russians and for no apparent reason they perform a two man underwater version of Uncle Vanya."-The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abriged)
rick007

Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Where Bulldogs and Tigercats play.

Postby Slade » Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:01 am

rick007,

Not yet. 2008 sometime, but don't know the month.

Slade
Slade

Postby rick007 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:46 am

Gracias Senior.
"The Duke and the Fish-man enter the woods disguised as Russians and for no apparent reason they perform a two man underwater version of Uncle Vanya."-The Complete Works of William Shakespeare (Abriged)
rick007

Location: Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. Where Bulldogs and Tigercats play.

Postby TwiztdFidgt » Sun Aug 12, 2007 6:30 am

I was thinking about the native band thing, but I didn't want to indulge in my delusion that I know a hint when I see one...though "red herrings" has got me going...especially since Slade italicized "own":

then you'll be planting your own red herrings.

So...

band space

possibly cagey

and possibly red herrings

oh, and the fact that it's very important to Slade...
Lawyer: "Any suggestions as to what prevented this from being a murder trial instead of an attempted murder trial?"
Witness: "The victim lived."
TwiztdFidgt

Postby Slade » Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:54 pm

If anyone had told me that one day I would write Novel # 13, I'd have said, "You're nuts!" But then someone we all know made a strange move, and the idea popped into my head. That set me off on a journey to places that I never thought I'd go, and resulted in a thriller that will surprise you all.

I told you that when I was in Grade Four, I was a class disrupter. To shut me up, a very cagey teacher had me write her stories instead of trudging through essays.

In 1965, I left the pond of high school for the ocean of university. English 100 was my first dose of the Great American Stuff. We were about to do Hemingway: "The Killers," "The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber," and FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS. And the Southern Gothic of Faulkner: "A Rose for Emily," "Dry September," and INTRUDER IN THE DUST. And that modern Western by Steinbeck, OF MICE AND MEN. So I could hardly wait to meet my professor.

The Vietnam War was flooding the campus with draft dodgers, and Ivy League professors were following them. So would I have a prof steeped in Americana? Or - it's not called British Columbia for nothing - would it be an Oxford don with patches on the elbows of his tweeds, retiring to the fresh air of the Colonies?

Instead, in walked an Indian woman not much older than me, wearing a sari and with a caste mark on her forehead. In first year, they don't give you the profs: you get the graduate students. All that testosterone coming off the pages of the books I'd bought seemed suddenly to dissipate into foreign air.

However, she turned out to be one of the best teachers I ever had. First off, she held up Hemingway and said, "Considered by many to be the greatest American writer. Considered by a growing number of women to be an overgrown Boy Scout."

And we were off and running...

Toward the end of the year, we had to clear our final essay topic with her.
I was in her office when she asked me out of the blue, "Who's the best teacher you ever had?" So I told her about Miss Ashworth and the stories I used to write.

She laughed and said, "Forget the essay. Write me a story."

Which I did.

Well, forty years had passed and seemingly out of nowhere, I had this idea for # 13. That's when goosebumps helped me remember, "Wait a minute. I've been here before." So into the archives I delved, and yes, there it was. That story written in the spring of 1966.

Connections?

As Stephen King says, "Eventually, it all goes in."

Slade

P.S. No, # 13 is not political, in case you're thinking "Vietnam War" is a clue.
Slade

Postby slyragz » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:41 pm

What a turbulent - anything (good or bad) is possible - era ... the 60's.

1966 was a very productive year though.

I'm not going (I'm going to try not) to let you set the hook on these clues just yet. If anything, you've taught me patience.
slyragz

PreviousNext

Return to Sladists Welcome!