Headhunter

Spoilers ahead! Feel free to discuss the novels in detail. Avoid if you haven't read the books.

Postby SickThing » Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:35 pm

Slade wrote:SickThing,

Due to the paper the British use, all 1st HH copies have tanning by now.

Slade

Yeah, I'm very familiar with the phenomenon. All of my McCammon British conditions have the same issue. The nice thing about this one is that the tanning is minor---I've seen a lot worse.

Hunter
SickThing

Postby i.am.sladist » Sat Aug 07, 2010 3:07 am

So that's a yes ... right?

=P
I am Evil.
I am Woman.
I am Sladist.
i.am.sladist

Postby SickThing » Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:31 am

If I were going to Victoria, yes. Unfortunately, I won't be.

Hunter
SickThing

Postby MarylandManson » Sun Sep 12, 2010 12:10 am

sparky24 wrote:I love headhunter and i love Katherine Spann , i could talk about it all day !

Does anyone want to talk with me on this subject ?

Spann is an excellent character, worthy of much discussion. Even so, and even in this spoilers-allowed forum, the subject warrants ginger handling. As spoilers go, HEADHUNTER contains the Mother lode.

Two striking aspects of Spann are the slice-of-life scenes in HEADHUNTER (taking out the trash, etc. in her home) and the continued glimpses of her normal on-the-job activities in subsequent novels. I also wonder about her activities while in Thailand and her interaction with Monica Macdonald.

Extrapolating from the novels, it seems possible that Monica and Rusty Lewis never hooked up at least in part because of Spann's unfortunate experiences with Rick Scarlett and the influence of same on Monica.

Counterpoint:

"But understand one thing, my man. I'm going to spend some money on you, so you'd better come across later."

"I don't fuck cops. That's incest, you ass!"

It's fun to imagine Monica asking Katherine for locker-room feedback/advice about relationships, especially with Rusty. They wouldn't be the first two women in a man's world to compare notes--it goes with the territory.

Also, it's interesting to consider how much personal history Sparky and Katherine share. Did they go to the same schools?

I can't think of a fictional character that invites such speculation more than Katherine Spann.

Cheers! MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby i.am.sladist » Tue Sep 21, 2010 12:41 am

So I started Headhunter again ... always good to go back and re-read. Especially considering how much I read, I forgot that Avacomovitch was a cowboys fan, poor choice Mr Slade but I'll not hold it against you. It does settle though where you stand on football ...
It's nice sometimes to step back into a world you've not visited for while.
I am Evil.
I am Woman.
I am Sladist.
i.am.sladist

Postby Slade » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:47 am

i.am.sladist,

John Banks is the football fan: that was straight him. And since he's not American, he doesn't have regional bias. I remember him giving me all the reasons and statistics for Avacomovitch to be a Cowboys fan, so to assess his choice objectively, we'd have to back and study what the Cowboys were doing in 1981 to 1983.

Anyone?

Slade
Slade

Postby Slade » Tue Sep 21, 2010 2:53 am

Try this:

Danny white was born February 9, 1952 in Mesa, Arizona. He attended Arizona State College. He was drafted in the third round, 54th overall of the 1974 draft. He still hold’s eight records with the Dallas cowboys. He bridged the gap between two hall of fame quarterbacks, Roger Staubach of the seventies and Troy Aikman of the nineties and early 2000’s. He led his team to the NFC title game for a third straight year, which earned him a Pro Bowl Berth for his efforts. Tom Landry, the legendary former head coach of the cowboys once stated, “He wasn’t gifted as some quarterbacks were, but he knew how to win football games. I don’t think anybody could have followed Roger and done as well as Danny. If we had reached the Super Bowl in 1981, we might have won the Super Bowl a couple of more times. I think Danny would have gotten us there again. Danny was a solid winner.”
Slade

Postby PohlSE » Tue Sep 21, 2010 9:58 am

The Cowboys of the early 80's were a different animal than the Cowboys everyone loves to hate now. The biggest differences being The Cowboys are the only NFL team to record 20 consecutive winning seasons (1966–1985) so they were winners with a famous and respected head coach.

Also remember that The Cowboys, at the time, had a beloved owner Clint Murchison, Jr.. In 84, H.R. "Bum" Bright purchased the team and began screwing it up and turned the team into losers. He blamed everyone else but himself and then, in 87, sold the team to the HATED and REVILED Jerry Jones. Jones, despite some early Superbowl victories, remains one of the most hated men in NFL history.

My dad, who is a Cowboys fan, hates it when the team loses but he loves it that it upsets Jerry Jones. A typical reaction from most modern Cowboys fans.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Slade » Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:08 pm

For me, the hook of the Cowboys was that it gave us an opening to put the Russian scientist in a Stetson, which - of course - is what the Mounties wear.

So it tied together nicely.

Slade
Slade

Postby i.am.sladist » Fri Sep 24, 2010 3:10 am

I do apologize, that was quite presumptuous of me. Still, a poor choice, the editor should have caught that.
So if you've not already answered, and I'm sure you have ...
no I'll wait and add it to my list of questions for next year!
I am Evil.
I am Woman.
I am Sladist.
i.am.sladist

Postby SickThing » Fri Sep 24, 2010 7:20 am

i.am.sladist wrote:I do apologize, that was quite presumptuous of me. Still, a poor choice, the editor should have caught that.

What was there to catch? That a book written many years ago has a character that likes a football team that people no longer like today?

There was a time when almost everyone I knew was a Cowboys fan....

Hunter
SickThing

Postby Slade » Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:05 pm

SickThing,

It's like the Roman slave who used to stand in the chariot of the general during his Triumph parade and whisper repeatedly in his ear, "All glory is fleeting."

There was a time, when Gretzky was young, when no one could touch the Edmonton Oilers.

Time passes.

Slade
Slade

Postby PohlSE » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:39 pm

In 1984 something truly great happened; a novel was published called Headhunter written by some bloke named Michael Slade. Not just another piece of cop-noir or a paint by the numbers murder mystery, Headhunter brought us the real science and skill of police work before CSI made it common knowledge, and delivered it all in one horrifying tale that kept readers guessing until they arrive at the end screaming for more.

This Slade character really knew what he was doing!

Now nearly 30 years and 13 more novels later we can look back at this legacy and see that Slade knew more than we ever imagined!

In the News section of the Specialx.net website you can now read this surprising and shocking story arc that details Slade's work and how his novels have proven to be prescience.

Once you guys read it I'd be very interested to hear what you have to say about Slade's uncanny insight.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby EZ Rhino » Tue Dec 21, 2010 4:55 pm

I like the sly little nudges to the ribs of american cops that Slade throws in every now and then and how careless they can be at crime scenes.

I think Slade has a great respect for those who wear the police uniform and the role they play in society. But, I think Slade is aware that they are fallible and hopes that they themselves remain knowledgeable of the potential harm they can cause through omission or dereliction of their duty.

A lot of my friends, when I was growing up, experienced abuse, both physical and verbal, at the hands of the RCMP. They weren't too 'down with the brown' back then. Things are a lot better now.
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

SLADE Pictorial Bibliography

Postby chaos-consultants » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:02 pm

OK, this has been far too long waiting to come out of the closet.. e_taylor and I worked on these for a number of months and we have made a pictorial bibliography of all of SLADE's books with bibliographical identification data for the HC/TPB/PB 1st edition of US AND UK novels. I think that these forum pages are the best place to put them. If not let me know.

Chaos

Here is the link for the PDF file for HEADHUNTER

http://members.shaw.ca/chaos-consultant ... hunter.pdf

and my signed Headhunter collection

"It's worked so far but we're not out yet" - Information Society (Star Trek)
chaos-consultants

PreviousNext

Return to Novel Discussions