Headhunter

Spoilers ahead! Feel free to discuss the novels in detail. Avoid if you haven't read the books.

Postby Slade » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:16 pm

The US HEADHUNTER was published in June 1985...so that is an early signing. Very few copies are signed by Jay, John, and Rick!
Slade

Postby krista in ma » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:22 am

Question for those who are familiar with various book editions, etc.... the paper back copy of Headhunter I have is what I think is a 4th edition (the numbers sequence is listed as "4 6 8 10 9 7 5 3" and I think someone told me that the first number listed is what edition it was).... but my question is ~ who and when / why is it decided to change the cover art? Mine is different than what is shown. Just got me thinking about how many different versions of the cover art there are out there! Thanks!
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby EZ Rhino » Mon Nov 07, 2011 6:44 pm

I've been thinking about a comment a person made in the local paper several years ago: "suicide is basically an extremely selfish act."

I'm of a differing opinion as I believe that we are responsible first and foremost for our own life and if a person chooses to end their lifetime before natural causes bring about death then that is that person's right.

I think that Declerq's intentions to eat a bullet from his service revolver in that greenhouse were entirely within his rights to do so as a human being and it is only recently that I've read things on-line that have allowed me to articulate my reasoning further.

When someone has entered a state where they are so filled with despair, hopelessness and depression, their relationship to their family and other loved ones becomes different. People in such a state really truly believe sometimes that their family and community are better off without them, that they are a burden to those around them. Their state doesn't allow them to see alternatives.

Their actions may or may not cause emotional harm to those around them but if a person is so miserable that they cannot see a way to end their situation then they should not be made to feel even worse by being seen as 'selfish'.
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby Slade » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:11 pm

We don't ask to be born. It's thrust upon us. And if someone can't take the experience, why can't he/she check out? It all comes down to Free Will and what it means.

For those who are religious, there are other factors. My view is strictly Darwinian.

I recall lounging on a beach in Maui while reading Hemingway's FOR WHOM THE BELL TOLLS, and being struck by his earlier views on suicide in light of the fact he shot himself in the head in 1961.

This from Spark Notes:

Throughout For Whom the Bell Tolls, Hemingway characterizes suicide as an act of cowardice by associating it with characters who are vulnerable or lack strength of spirit. A number of characters contemplate suicide: Karkov always carries pills to use to kill himself if he is ever captured, and Maria carries around a razor blade for the same purpose. Robert Jordan’s father committed suicide—an act that Robert Jordan says he understands but nonetheless condemns. The traits of these characters who contemplate suicide connect the act of suicide to weakness. Robert Jordan’s father is characterized as weak, Maria is young and female, and Karkov is a man of ideas, not action. At the end of the novel, Robert Jordan contemplates suicide but rejects the idea, preferring to struggle to stay awake despite the pain. Robert Jordan’s reliance on inner strength in his rejection of suicide contrasts the other characters’ weakness, which demonstrates that the will to continue living requires psychological strength.
Slade

Postby krista in ma » Sat Nov 19, 2011 3:15 am

EZ Rhino wrote:People in such a state really truly believe sometimes that their family and community are better off without them, that they are a burden to those around them. Their state doesn't allow them to see alternatives.

EZ Rhino wrote:People in such a state really truly believe sometimes that their family and community are better off without them, that they are a burden to those around them. Their state doesn't allow them to see alternatives.

I have been to many Military funerals where I have learned that this is exactly the case.

:(
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby jellybelly » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:30 pm

Ok i have read 294 pages so far, love the characters (especially 'Mad dog' because i am a Charles Bronson fan), love the history, love it all :P

I understand this is a spoiler board of sorts, i haven't read any of the other posts because i don't want it spoiling BUT something has been nagging at me...Spann...she seems familiar in some way, bear in mind i did read a couple of these books many years ago, whilst most i have forgot, her name is familiar...

Also should i be having any indication by now of who the killer is by now ? I know it's 'Sparky' but can't figure out 'who' it is.

Please don't spoil anything though :D
jellybelly

Postby Mbwun » Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:47 pm

Katherine Spann figures into several of the novels. So if you've read some of the other novels, then you've probably read at least one with her in it if she seems familiar.

Mad Dog is a favourite amongst many Sladists. The actor that several of us would like to play him in a film of the books is Ray Stevenson.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Slade » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:03 pm

Mad Dog returns in Novel # 15.
Slade

Postby dreab trawets » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:35 pm

Jb...
it got me too..

Then you read it again..with knowledge..and pick up things you missed because you were being pulled along by the story..

I do hope your trying to read them in order...
And even though it was written second.. i still think Ghoul would be the better first film rather than Headhunter..

Enjoy...

D. T.
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby jellybelly » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:21 pm

Ok thanks guys, i guess i am getting way ahead of myself asking things this early.

And yes i am attempting to collect and read them all in order, ordering Ghoul tomorrow which will hopefully turn up on Monday as i dare say i will have finished Headhunter by the weekend :wink:
jellybelly

Postby jellybelly » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:34 pm

Apologies for jabbering on a bit but Mr. Slade you have outdone your descriptive prowess in the passage i have just read in Headhunter, to quote -

"Her head was thrown back, swinging, her arms stretched up to grab the moon.
Thump...
She thrust forward her crotch.
Black-grey hair, twisted and tangled, climbed halfway up the old woman's abdomen, spreading out like creeping vines from between her legs"

Good job i wasn't eating at the time :oops:
jellybelly

Postby jellybelly » Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:11 pm

Hmm, just read past the part where the Headhunter has been taken out...

Obviously not seeing as i up to 'Part 3' now :lol: should i hazard a guess yet ? Red serge uniform fibres, a protagonist with a seemingly hostile afront towards Robert, a direct attack towards his 'family circle' which failed, (oh and the description of the weapon is interesting with the weighted edge for better decapitation) BUT no clues as to why Robert is being targeted, well, apart from leading the hunt, hmm...

Against my better judgement, i'll say the Headhunter is Rick Scarlett :oops:
jellybelly

Postby Slade » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:42 pm

Now you've got a mini-mystery: Who's writing Part 3?

Slade
Slade

Postby jellybelly » Fri Feb 03, 2012 6:53 am

(Apologies for running commentary again but your book has hooked me)

Indeed i have Mr. Slade because unfortunately i decided to start reading the finale in bed and you know where you get to a point where you drift off, read, drift off, read and your mind loses some of it's clarity...

Well come this morning i am shocked to read that Sparky is GOING AFTER Al Flood, i was under the impression that the Headhuinter WAS Al Flood from what i read last night, now i either got Al's discoveries mixed up with Sparky's back story or it was one of your clever twist and turns...but then again Al saw somebody else with Genevieve in that restaurant so obviously it's not Al...
jellybelly

Postby jellybelly » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:20 am

Firstly, apologies as i got the restaurant scene names mixed up :oops:

Secondly, wow oh wow mind f**k alert !! Spann is Sparky :shock:

Now the dilemma -

Sparky wasn't the Headhunter, Al was ?

Sparky was the Headhunter and silenced Al ?

I have yet to read the epilogue but damn, Mr. Slade, you are the man, i have read a wide variety of book genres, from Alice in wonderland to The lord of the rings and i must say no book has fully engrossed me and kept me reading like this in a good long while, hats off to you 8-)

Now when it eventually arrives, Ghoul awaits...

(edit) why was Robert targeted in that way ? I understand the connection assuming Spann was the Headhunter but don't understand why seeing as the connection was nice, nothing that would incite revenge, i get the feeling i have missed something somewhere...?
jellybelly

PreviousNext

Return to Novel Discussions