Ghoul

Spoilers ahead! Feel free to discuss the novels in detail. Avoid if you haven't read the books.

Ghoul

Postby raasnio » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:44 pm

Discuss the novel Ghoul with fellow Sladists...
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby dreab trawets » Tue Mar 02, 2010 3:54 pm

Here's a couple for you ghoul's out there...

Ghoul was written after Headhunter, but the timeline suggests that Ghoul was set before, as the last case Zinc worked on in Ghoul was a Mexican drug bust, where he lost his partner..
What is the timeline please?

And the young wannabe killer who botches the tunnel of love attack is shown near the end of the book carving, into the shape of a monster, a wooden ice pick handle.... Nothing more is heard..
An early Mephisto?

And was McAllaster an early template for mad dog..?

This book, Ripper, and now Red Snow are the ones i give to people to introduce them to Slade. Red Snow just pushed Headhunter out
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby raasnio » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:05 pm

Good questions.

Regarding the timeline, I also wonder about that. I catch myself mentioning Ghoul first, though it isn't. At least as far as publishing dates are concerned.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio

Postby dreab trawets » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:11 am

Never got a chance to say thanks for doing this part of the forum

I think like you, and get confused with Ghoul first.
NOW, the question is, how to they make that a film??
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby dreab trawets » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:21 pm

My bad.....
I am on a train so cannot check, but does Zinc appear in Headhunter?
In Cutthroat, de clerq is putting together Special x proper, and is tapping zinc's file which has jim in london...
Is it that Zinc is so integral to Special x that we forgot he didn't appear in the first one....

The other questions stand though...
dreab trawets

Link to UK Ghoul

Postby chaos-consultants » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:57 pm

Here is a thread on a UK website talking about Ghoul if you are interested.

John

http://vaultofevil.proboards.com/index. ... thread=302
"It's worked so far but we're not out yet" - Information Society (Star Trek)
chaos-consultants

Postby Slade » Sun Mar 07, 2010 10:39 pm

HEADHUNTER is set in 1982. GHOUL is set in 1986. There is no overlap of characters between the novels. DeClercq's Headhunter Squad and Special X (Chandler's posting) fused together in CUTTHROAT. From that point on, DeClercq and Chandler have worked as a team.

The tunnel of love killer in GHOUL is a copycat. He's a red herring who advances that novel's theme (see the Afterword) about one branch of horror supposedly inspiring another.

The Mad Dog is in HEADHUNTER, so McAllister isn't a template.
Slade

Postby dreab trawets » Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:04 am

Thanks for that.
Forgot about mad dog in headhunter.

Thought i might have stumbed onto something with the Tunnel of Love killer, that and the amount of money left lying about it Cutthroat when Lotus / evan is killed.

Now when are you coming back to London with Specialx.
Canary Wharf docklands area was just being built in 86, warehouses converted, london has changed in many ways.

Maybe go back to the hotel to exorcise some demons from shower slipping.
dreab trawets

Postby AndyC » Sat Mar 13, 2010 3:33 am

Just mailed a copy of Ghoul to a friend today. With Zinc Chandler a new hero, unconnected to DeClercq the Headhunter case, it's almost as good a place to start as Headhunter.

Anyway, this friend of mine is an aficionado of heavy metal, horror novels and the 80s in general. He's also British. I have no doubt he'll find it interesting.
AndyC

Postby e_taylor » Sat Mar 27, 2010 2:11 am

I was scanning my US proof of Ghoul for the biblio project chaos and I are working on, and I noticed that the picture of the cover on the rear is different from what was used.

I think I like it better!
We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight. - HP Lovecraft in From Beyond
e_taylor

Postby Slade » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:33 am

That picture is the mock-up that the artist did to show the publisher what he planned to do. When it was okayed, he did the version on the cover. If you scroll through the GHOUL drawer in the MORGUE at the Slade Website, you'll find it.

Slade
Slade

Postby i.am.sladist » Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:48 am

I gave my girl friend ghoul to read ... she's liking it.
I'm going to turn her into a Sladist.
I am Evil.
I am Woman.
I am Sladist.
i.am.sladist

Postby raasnio » Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:13 am

i.am.sladist wrote:I gave my girl friend ghoul to read ... she's liking it.
I'm going to turn her into a Sladist.

If she can get through that book then you know she's going to be hooked. :twisted:

My wife won't even try one. She knows her limits, I suppose.
raasnio

Postby i.am.sladist » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:35 am

So ... she finished Ghoul. She loved it.
I've given her Headhunter. She said it's hard to follow sometimes because it jumps around but I told her to stick with it. It will all come together ...
I can't wait till she gets to Ripper!!! I'm slowly turning her into a Sladist.
What could be a greater gift than to share Slade with others.
I am Evil.
I am Woman.
I am Sladist.
i.am.sladist

SLADE BIBLIOGRAPHY

Postby chaos-consultants » Sat Jun 11, 2011 6:33 pm

OK, this has been far too long waiting to come out of the closet.. e_taylor and I worked on these for a number of months and we have made a pictorial bibliography of all of SLADE's books with bibliographical identification data for the HC/TPB/PB 1st edition of US AND UK novels. I think that these forum pages are the best place to put them. If not let me know.

Chaos

Here is the link for the PDF file for GHOUL

http://members.shaw.ca/chaos-consultant ... _Ghoul.pdf

And here is my signed Ghoul collection of True 1st editions
"It's worked so far but we're not out yet" - Information Society (Star Trek)
chaos-consultants

Next

Return to Novel Discussions