Cutthroat

Spoilers ahead! Feel free to discuss the novels in detail. Avoid if you haven't read the books.

Cutthroat

Postby raasnio » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:44 pm

Discuss the novel Cutthroat with fellow Sladists...
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby dreab trawets » Tue Mar 09, 2010 7:21 pm

Ok guv'nor, anybody...
Why did you turn the mountain attack by the monsters on Specialx members, into a dream moment for Zinc on the operating table after being shot.
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby PohlSE » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:19 am

Here's an interesting article that I thought fit right in with Cutthroat:

http://news.discovery.com/human/early-human-ancestors-faces.html

Using bone fragments and advanced 3d modeling scientists have given us a look at our ancestors.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Slade » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:49 pm

d.t.,

So the book could flirt with science fiction and the supernatural without actually stepping over the line.

Like Ed McBain's 87th Precinct novel GHOSTS.

It's a cop out when an author uses "it was just a dream" to salvage his hero from disaster. But it the "dream" is even worse than the disaster, that's okay. The reader isn't cheated.

Good stuff, PohlSE.

Slade
Slade

Postby dreab trawets » Wed Oct 06, 2010 7:01 pm

Thank you for that Slade..
and wow Pohlse..

Now everybody sitting comfortably..

time for a story
http://americanfolklore.net/folklore/20 ... ndigo.html
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Baidhnobas » Fri May 13, 2011 7:42 pm

Got a question...
Do we ever find out who killed Blake, or is that going to remain the great unknown?
Immorality I know. Immortality I cannot judge.
Baidhnobas

Location: Lost. After a while one circle of Hell looks pretty much like another.

Postby Slade » Fri May 13, 2011 9:43 pm

The great unknown.

But Blake will be back...perhaps in # 16.

Slade
Slade

SLADE Bibliography

Postby chaos-consultants » Sat Jun 11, 2011 7:09 pm

OK, this has been far too long waiting to come out of the closet.. e_taylor and I worked on these for a number of months and we have made a pictorial bibliography of all of SLADE's books with bibliographical identification data for the HC/TPB/PB 1st edition of US AND UK novels. I think that these forum pages are the best place to put them. If not let me know.

Chaos

Here is the link for the PDF file for Cutthroat

http://members.shaw.ca/chaos-consultant ... throat.pdf

and my signed Cutthroat collection
"It's worked so far but we're not out yet" - Information Society (Star Trek)
chaos-consultants

Postby Slade » Fri Aug 26, 2011 7:55 pm

The "Denisovians" live in the same area as the mythical Almas, and are a subspecies of Homo distinct from sapiens - us - and Neanderthals:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14673047

Read the CUTTHROAT section here:

http://www.specialx.net/specialxdotnet/news.html
Slade

Postby GINGER » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:47 am

Just re reading Cutthroat..
And I still don't get why you killed of Zinc's son..

He could of escaped, orphanage placement, and because of the dastardly gene pool from the mother, you could of had fun with that..
One side of me says I would like to talk to her, date her. The other side of me says I wonder how her head would look on a stick (Edmund Kemper)
GINGER

Location: Everybody needs a little madness, or you would never cut the rope and become free.

Re: Cutthroat

Postby jellybelly » Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:35 pm

Hmmm, seems i have a nice system going here, order on Wednesday, finish previous book by the weekend / Sunday, new book delivered !!
jellybelly

Postby jellybelly » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:51 am

A certain point in the book reminded me of the film "The incredible hulk", the Avengers 'teaser' where Tony Stark / Iron man walks in and says "i'm putting a team together".

Another thing to note is why do i read these books so damn fast, anyone else have that problem ? I swear i had to back up various times during the end of "Ghoul" because i was reading the 'action' too fast.
jellybelly

Postby krista in ma » Tue Feb 14, 2012 11:51 am

jellybelly wrote:Another thing to note is why do i read these books so damn fast, anyone else have that problem ? I swear i had to back up various times during the end of "Ghoul" because i was reading the 'action' too fast.

Not that devouring one of Slades books is a "good" thing, but the good thing about it is that when you go back and read it again, you tend to pick up all these extra details, and read it again, more details, and from personal experience, after I know how one of the novels ends, I have more "Ah HAH!" moments as well! I think that's part of the fun. The books are just so rich and full of detail, my brain doesn't pick up on everything the first time, so it's worth it to read again. I have so many books that were read once and that was enough. I love finding a good book that I can read over and over, and enjoy even more. Not sure if that makes much sense!
Last edited by krista in ma on Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
krista in ma

Postby jellybelly » Tue Feb 14, 2012 12:31 pm

[quote="krista in ma"][quote="jellybelly"]Another thing to note is why do i read these books so damn fast, anyone else have that problem ? I swear i had to back up various times during the end of "Ghoul" because i was reading the 'action' too fast.[/quote]

Not that devouring one of Slades books is a "good" thing, but the good thing about it is that when you go back and read it again, you tend to pick up all these extra details, and read it again, more details, and from personal experience, after I know how one of the novels ends, I have more "Ah HAH!" moments as well! I think that's part of the fun. The books are just so rich and full of detail, my brain doesn't pick up on everything the first time, so it's worth it to read again. I have so many books that were read once and that was enough. I love finding a good book that I can read over and over, and enjoy even more. Not sure if that makes much sense![/quote]

Trust me that makes perfect sense ! In between the Slade books, when i was waiting for the next one to arrive i tried reading other things, "The woman in white" and one of Richard Layman's books, a combo of "Night show" and "All Hallows eave". When i got into serious reading a few years back i started off on the 'oldies' such as Sherlock Holmes, H.G. Wells and so on, eventually expanding to other authors. I became a fan of Richard Laymon etc. When i tried to read the aforementioned books i couldn't get into them as much as would have and even though the books are good in themselves (although Laymon's horror and death sequences now seem comedic to me now).

Curse you Mr. Slade ha,ha (in a nice way off course).
jellybelly

Postby jellybelly » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:40 am

Well, another one done :cry: now for my inevitable (inane) questions -

Much as i loved the Sasquatch battle would it really have been that far fetched to have had it as a real event, not a dream, i mean the Kwans where still using Almas for their yang so that still pointed towards the 'giant hairy men' being real (even though the Alma where only around 5ft but you get what i am asking...i think).

So Blake was found...decapitated, his head replaced by the yellow skull, hmmm, sounds familiar, or am i reading too much into it ?

Well you answered one of my questions from the Ghoul topic, awful scene but you killed off a possible future protagonist...would of made a good read having Zinc decide what to do when he realised that the 'killer' was his son, oh well 8-)

Mad dog, he kicked proverbial arse during the Sasquatch battle / dream, am i right in guessing we get to see him cut loose in future books, for real ?

"Go on. Give me a reason. Try it." So he tried. Ambiguous or obvious ?

Lastly i'll ask about your James Bond esque final sentence - The story survivors will return in Skull and Crossbones, forgive me but, huh ??

p.s. nice to see a brief mention off Spann there... :mrgreen:
jellybelly

Next

Return to Novel Discussions