Cutthroat

Spoilers ahead! Feel free to discuss the novels in detail. Avoid if you haven't read the books.

Re: Cutthroat

Postby dreab trawets » Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:49 am

Skull and crossbones was the original title for Ripper

There is a quote somewhere from Slade about the reason why.
And yeah.
Mad dog kicks arse..
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby jellybelly » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:29 pm

dreab trawets wrote:Skull and crossbones was the original title for Ripper

There is a quote somewhere from Slade about the reason why.
And yeah.
Mad dog kicks arse..

Ah, ok, Ripper is next then and one i am looking forward to, along with Shrink...

jellybelly

Postby dreab trawets » Fri Feb 17, 2012 2:50 pm

One or two more before Shrink..
You got Zombie..
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Slade » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:16 pm

If Dream gets you out of a plot problem, then it's a cop out. But if it drops you into something MORE horrific, then - in my opinion - that's good.

Because the Special X series is "reality" fiction, Slade can't step too far over the line. The Almas are a compromise, and - if you read the CUTTHROAT section here http://www.specialx.net/specialxdotnet/news.html ...one that came to be!

As for Blake, mystery suits him.

The rest of your questions will wait for further reading.

Slade
Slade

Postby jellybelly » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:32 pm

Slade wrote:If Dream gets you out of a plot problem, then it's a cop out. But if it drops you into something MORE horrific, then - in my opinion - that's good.

Because the Special X series is "reality" fiction, Slade can't step too far over the line. The Almas are a compromise, and - if you read the CUTTHROAT section here http://www.specialx.net/specialxdotnet/news.html ...one that came to be!

As for Blake, mystery suits him.

The rest of your questions will wait for further reading.

Slade

Thank you Mr. Slade, i'll give it a read !

And dreab, i posted somewhere on here that i ordered 3 of the books at once the other day, Ripper, Zombie and Shrink from that book site you mentioned, i made the switch from Amazon because unfortunately i have to be 'cheap', one of those Ripper books was going for over £900 :scared0:
jellybelly

Postby Slade » Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:51 pm

jellybelly,

Remember:

ZOMBIE = EVIL EYE
SHRINK = PRIMAL SCREAM

So don't order the same book twice, under a different title.

Slade
Slade

Postby jellybelly » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:36 am

Slade wrote:jellybelly,

Remember:

ZOMBIE = EVIL EYE
SHRINK = PRIMAL SCREAM

So don't order the same book twice, under a different title.

Slade

Ok thanks, strangely i haven't come across the alternative titles when ordering 8-)
jellybelly

Postby Slade » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:39 pm

Slade

Postby EZ Rhino » Sun May 06, 2012 1:27 am

There's a neat passage in the part where Zinc's in a coma. Where a paragraph resembles a whirlpool of text like this

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxxxxx
xxxxxxxxx
xxxxx
xxx
x
x
x

Anybody ever seen anything similar in other works? I think it's an effective device.
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby Slade » Sun May 06, 2012 2:09 am

I had a lot of fun with that, EZ. Didn't know whether I'd get away with it, but what the hell.

I also had fun with the loooooooooooong paragraph when Zinc arrives in Hong Kong. Overload, folks.
Slade

Postby Mbwun » Sun May 06, 2012 3:11 pm

EZ ...

There's a device similar to that used in James Morrow's THE LAST WITCHFINDER, when the book switches voices from a straightforward telling of the story, to passages from Sir Isaac Newton's PHILOSOPHIA NATURALIS PRINCIPIA MATHEMATICA that somewhat reflect what's going on in the story. The PRINCIPIA MATHEMATICA is who/what is supposed to be narrating the storyline of the novel. You can see the way it's done here:

http://www.strangehorizons.com/reviews/ ... ast_.shtml

It's quite effective. And, it's a very good book too! :D
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby dreab trawets » Wed Mar 04, 2015 8:24 pm

Jawbone 'sheds light on first humans' - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-31738861
dreab trawets

Previous

Return to Novel Discussions