Ripper

Spoilers ahead! Feel free to discuss the novels in detail. Avoid if you haven't read the books.

Ripper

Postby raasnio » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:45 pm

Discuss the novel Ripper with fellow Sladists...
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby dreab trawets » Fri Mar 05, 2010 12:29 pm

For me, this is my favourite. Lots of threads coming together in one glorious chaos on the island.
Proper locked room mysteries, not knowing who would go next. And not finding out how without a little thought on our part.
That must of taken some work to flesh all the characters out.

Wonder if any ripperologists thought of that cross scenario.
This should be the film to make, or at least into a 13 part tv series like Harpers Island.
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Tautriadelta » Wed Jul 28, 2010 5:10 pm

nope Slade brought it up(only Donston did b4 him in 1888) and I have a lot of books on the Ripper case (Slade's fault) and I even have one where the author credits Slade for bringing this to his attention...now THAT's awesome XD
Ripper is also my favorite Slade novel...read it like 20x..and am also now proud owner of Jack the Ripper the bloody truth and The True Face of Jack the Ripper (both by Melvin Harris) and I have From Hell (Bob Hinton)..and many many others....

personnaly I've always thought that if the movies of his novels were made..it should be in chapters..like Star-Wars...as they truly follow each other.
Special X chapter (casefile4) Jolly Roger
Land of our birth,we pledge to thee
Our love and toil in the years to be;
When we are grown and take our place
As men and women of our race.
Tautriadelta

Postby dreab trawets » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:52 pm

I still think, sod headhunter, make Ripper..

Imagine Tarantino doing that one, or my personal favourite... Wes Craven.
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Tautriadelta » Mon Aug 02, 2010 1:44 pm

D.T you've got me drooling at the mention of those names, I bought a program that I can write scripts & screenplays, and my new pastime(hobby) is scripting Slade novels for myself.
when I finish one I'll send it to Slade (with a copy of program so he can read it).

on a side note am also a fan of David S. Goyer for scripting & directing XD, but Tarantino and Wes are in a league of their own :)
Tautriadelta

Postby dreab trawets » Mon Aug 02, 2010 3:22 pm

Somebody must have some connections somewhere to get Wes Craven to have a look at it..

OOOH
What about both of them together..
dreab trawets

Postby Tautriadelta » Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:28 pm

well I'm extremely happy, I found on the net a Hardcover copy of Ripper that I ordered...it should be here in September the delivery said...one more book for you to sign Slade ;)
a particuliar sold it to me for like 10$ and 15$ shipping...was expecting to pay more but hey...in my eyes...worth so much more XD

well I got it ahead of time and it's the Hodder & Stoughton edition 1st print and on the back sleeve I can see the HC covers for all the previous books under that edition,quite nice
Tautriadelta

Postby dreab trawets » Tue Sep 28, 2010 7:16 pm

question for you guv..

At the back of ripper, you say....
"A tip of the hat to the anvil chorus"
and
"to Chris and Barney who conjure Slade"

who are they?
are they still about?
dreab trawets

Postby Slade » Tue Sep 28, 2010 8:38 pm

The Anvil Chorus is a group of friends who hammer out potential flaws in the novels. The name comes from this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anvil_Chorus

Chris and Barney were professionals publishing Slade at that time.
Slade

Re: Ripper

Postby jellybelly » Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:00 pm

Only 30 or so pages in but an observation not a question...remember one of the questions i asked in the Cutthroat topic, "ambiguous or obvious ?", well i have the answer now, didn't expect it to be honest, you really are unlike most other authors aren't you Mr. Slade, you have the guts to do things to characters that other authors probably wouldn't :o

I do however have a question this early into the book but as it ties in with other books i am unsure whether to ask...yes, yawn, it concerns Spann again ha,ha, i'll wait for now...
jellybelly

Postby raasnio » Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:01 pm

jellybelly wrote:Only 30 or so pages in but an observation not a question...remember one of the questions i asked in the Cutthroat topic, "ambiguous or obvious ?", well i have the answer now, didn't expect it to be honest, you really are unlike most other authors aren't you Mr. Slade, you have the guts to do things to characters that other authors probably wouldn't :o

I do however have a question this early into the book but as it ties in with other books i am unsure whether to ask...yes, yawn, it concerns Spann again ha,ha, i'll wait for now...

That's why you keep coming back for another dose of Special X. The hooks get in & stay in. Both literally and figuratively. :twisted:
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby jellybelly » Wed Feb 22, 2012 8:55 pm

raasnio wrote:
jellybelly wrote:Only 30 or so pages in but an observation not a question...remember one of the questions i asked in the Cutthroat topic, "ambiguous or obvious ?", well i have the answer now, didn't expect it to be honest, you really are unlike most other authors aren't you Mr. Slade, you have the guts to do things to characters that other authors probably wouldn't :o

That's why you keep coming back for another dose of Special X. The hooks get in & stay in. Both literally and figuratively. :twisted:

Very, very true !!

Ok nearing the end now but feel the need to comment already, Ripper is a cracking read !!

And i still haven't guessed anything concrete yet even though i have suspicions especially with the curve ball of the description of one of the guys in the Thai restaurant being in a wheelchair...but he was pushed wasn't he...hmmm :evil:
jellybelly

Postby dreab trawets » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:28 pm

Ripper is what bought me back to locked room mysteries..

There is a section in multi media all about one of the best..
John Dickson Carr..

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=973

And its why I guessed quite early on about the first episodes of Whitechapel a couple of weeks ago..

Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever is left, however improbable, must be the truth..

Or something like that..

And its why I love watching Jonathan Creek..
dreab trawets

Postby jellybelly » Thu Feb 23, 2012 10:05 am

dreab trawets wrote:Ripper is what bought me back to locked room mysteries..

There is a section in multi media all about one of the best..
John Dickson Carr..

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=973

And its why I guessed quite early on about the first episodes of Whitechapel a couple of weeks ago..

Once you have eliminated the impossible, whatever is left, however improbable, must be the truth..

Or something like that..

And its why I love watching Jonathan Creek..

Shades of Holmes there :P

I can see why you really like this book dreab, cracking read !!

I have to ask though, as i finished it quite late and started Zombie pretty much straight after my mind skewed, correct me if i am wrong but is this how it panned out -

Skull was dominant, Crossbones was the servant / slave. In the end it turned out that Crossbones did away with Skull in the Turkish bath and has now taken on the dominant, superior role of Skull ? Now because Crossbones was used to being 'dominated' is that what drove him crazy at the end possibly, well, alongside Satan and his minions trying to 'come through' ? Also am i right in assuming that the 'new' Skull will return ?

Lastly that toilet trap = ouch, ouch and more ouch :mrgreen:
jellybelly

Postby dreab trawets » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:34 pm

Personally J.B. I don't read them back to back..
Give yourself a week to digest the story, look back at things..

Settle your mind...then start on Zombie..

So much stuff happened in Ripper, and so much happens in Zombie that you may start crashing stories together..

Yes they all follow on from each other..
But so much happens, that when you read later books you end up thinking..

That didn't happen ..where did that come from?

Just a thought..
dreab trawets

Next

Return to Novel Discussions