Ripper

Spoilers ahead! Feel free to discuss the novels in detail. Avoid if you haven't read the books.

Re: Ripper

Postby jellybelly » Fri Mar 02, 2012 8:00 am

Hydebound wrote:Corkscrew's sudden demise after his elaborate backstory and build-up is one of my favorite moments in the Slade canon. Napolean rules!

Humpty Dumpty??

Hmm is it possible that the book i have is different to others ? "Humpty-Dumpty" is the name of a chapter in the book, mysterious :shock:
jellybelly

Postby Mbwun » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:02 pm

Not different from my copy. HUMPTY DUMPTY is the name of the first chapter of Part III of RIPPER.

Always wondered where Tautriadelta got the name that he uses here - it's the title of the first chapter of Part II.

LOL EZ
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Slade » Fri Mar 02, 2012 6:34 pm

When I get a moment, I'll go back and see.

Slade
Slade

Postby EZ Rhino » Sat Mar 03, 2012 4:41 am

Oh, I'm not kidding now. 8-)
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby dreab trawets » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:54 pm

Question guv'nor..
Will the discovery of who Jack the Ripper was, or may have been if the naysayers sabre rattle anymore, make a change to any parts of Ripper, to update it when you get around to going digital on the boys
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Slade » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:24 pm

d.t. No. I'll see where things are at when I return to that novel, but "the discovery" will never be certain, just the best so far. If the science holds up.
Slade

Postby Tautriadelta » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:45 pm

Mbwun wrote:Not different from my copy. HUMPTY DUMPTY is the name of the first chapter of Part III of RIPPER.

Always wondered where Tautriadelta got the name that he uses here - it's the title of the first chapter of Part II.

LOL EZ

No wonder you are my favorite Sladist Mbwun, you are partially right, indeed it is a name of chapter, but Slade really got me invested in the Ripper crimes(back in 94) and started using it the more my main suspect (D'onston) seemed more and more viable( with all the books I had purchased...my favorite being The True face of Jack..by Melvin Harris), and since it was a pen-name he had used to writein an occult journal back then...well it's even my email ^^ Tautriadelta_88@hotmail.com, hahaha
because of Slade I had enrolled in criminology for school but quit to play music for 10 years, but now (still his fault haha) I have a big library of books on all real life serial killers...so many different ones it's insane, and yes..sometimes when I read on on the bus...well the person sitting next to me kinda changes places..it's sad..and funny)

but as Dreab stated, Slade's novels are outstanding and I can say I have read them many times over (Ripper my favorite..read like 20X)
and everytime I re-read one new things seem to pop up...
I'm still skeptical on this DNA, and as Slade mentionned it's still in a gray area...
Land of our birth,we pledge to thee
Our love and toil in the years to be;
When we are grown and take our place
As men and women of our race.
Tautriadelta

Postby Mbwun » Fri Oct 10, 2014 5:48 pm

Tautriadelta wrote:No wonder you are my favorite Sladist Mbwun, you are partially right ...
I'm still skeptical on this DNA, and as Slade mentionned it's still in a gray area...

I'm honoured!

I'm also skeptical of the DNA. Too much could have happened to the garment over the years to trust whatever 'evidence' might be on it.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Tautriadelta » Tue Oct 14, 2014 12:48 pm

I completely agree with you Mb, glad to see we're on the same page, even in today's laboratories, extreme care must be taken so samples are not cobtaminated...and in a 100 years my experience tells me that this item was handled by many hands....
Land of our birth,we pledge to thee
Our love and toil in the years to be;
When we are grown and take our place
As men and women of our race.
Tautriadelta

Postby SickThing » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:50 am

Here's one of several recent articles that cast doubt on the "proof" of the Ripper's identity.

http://rt.com/uk/197280-jack-ripper-dna-error/

Hunter
SickThing

Postby dreab trawets » Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:22 pm

its such a shame that it wasnt proven..

Maybe it will never be..
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Cr4nkY4nk3r » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:13 pm

Question about Ripper... it's been years since I read this book, but was thinking about it recently, and hopefully one of y'all can help...

If I'm not mistaken (and there's definitely a distinct possibility that I am!) isn't there a discussion of the seven (I think) kinds of mysteries while they're on the island? I could be making this up, since it's been quite a few years, but does anyone remember this?

I've looked for copies of the book at the library and at used bookstores around, but can't find a copy.

Can anybody help?
Cr4nkY4nk3r

Postby dreab trawets » Tue Oct 04, 2016 5:37 pm

It is in a locked room mystery by John Dickson Carr, but cannot remember which..
Would be on a post around the main forum somewhere..

Oh and hello
dreab trawets

Previous

Return to Novel Discussions