Shrink (a.k.a Primal Scream)

Spoilers ahead! Feel free to discuss the novels in detail. Avoid if you haven't read the books.

Alfred Spann

Postby sparky24 » Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:58 pm

OK i have been trying to work out is he a good man or a bad man , the picture painted in Headhunter of him is very different from the one painted in Shrink , Just wanted other peoples opinions

But Damm what a family , i though mine was mad \! :P
sparky24

Postby raasnio » Fri Sep 17, 2010 2:52 am

sparky24 wrote:Thank you Mr Slade for the reply , I guess the Mounties did not get there man in this case :twisted:

On a personal level i could have read about her for the next 12 books !!!

It is so nice to have a strong female character
and well the Sparky side was just cool !!

I swear to never mention the subject again

Definitely one of the very best characters Slade ever created.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby EZ Rhino » Fri Sep 17, 2010 5:49 pm

There's a Mountie in the story who returned runaway kids to the residential school and didn't hear their cries for help when told about the sexual abuse. Was it Alfred Blake? Now, is he just as culpable as the reverend who actually assaulted those kids? I think so. Although I don't know how I would put it in legal language. Maybe a case could be made for the rcmp officer being negligent?
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby Baidhnobas » Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:51 pm

It was Spann's father, whose name I have forgotten. My copy of Primal Scream languishing in a box somewhere, I'll leave it to someone else to ID him.

On a not entirely related note, why didn't they tell us about head-hunting on the West Coast in school? Or cannibalism? (Is there somewhere I can take this if it's too off-topic?)
Baidhnobas

Location: Lost. After a while one circle of Hell looks pretty much like another.

Postby Slade » Mon Sep 20, 2010 6:23 pm

EZ,

Various sections of the Criminal Code catch "parties" to an offense. It all depends on what is known, and what is done.

Baid,

Because schools are designed to teach us the boring stuff. History is history, so none of it should be off-bounds, as long as it's kept balanced. No holier than thou nonsense. In school, I learned about the Sepoy Mutiny, but no one - "Good heavens, no!" - taught me about the British reaction with the Devil's Wind.

Slade
Slade

Postby Baidhnobas » Wed Sep 22, 2010 5:00 pm

"If she'd just taught us the swear words we would have done anything she wanted." Laurie Halse Anderson, Speak, slightly paraphrased.

This is in reference to Spanish, but the principle is the same. You have to toss in something interesting to keep a class with you during the long haul. For teenagers, this is swearing, and no matter what people pretend otherwise, they all like a bit of scandal. Gore's less general, but it will get people's attention. Here's my hypothesis: By focusing on the driest dates and dullest events, history courses are counter-productive. Breaking more interesting things down into a bunch of statistics has the same effect. People lose interest. History becomes esoteric, and then it gets lost.[/i]
Baidhnobas

Location: Lost. After a while one circle of Hell looks pretty much like another.

Postby dreab trawets » Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:56 pm

I wish i had these when i was going through school.

history with the gory bits left in..

http://www.horrible-histories.co.uk/ind ... _%20panel1
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby sparky24 » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:05 pm

for crying out loud , any way i liked school , guess i was a bit of a nerd
sparky24

Postby sparky24 » Fri Sep 24, 2010 8:12 pm

What did Susannh die off ? I could not work it out
sparky24

Postby Baidhnobas » Mon Sep 27, 2010 5:17 pm

I've sworn off hijacking threads, I really have.

To prove it, my next question is purely Primal Scream trivia. It's listed on the board as Primal Scream/Shrink. What caused the title change? I assume it's similar to the Ripper/Skull and Crossbones problem, but details?
Baidhnobas

Postby EZ Rhino » Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:19 pm

I think Shrink is the title used in the UK.
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby sparky24 » Mon Sep 27, 2010 11:22 pm

[quote="EZ Rhino"]I think Shrink is the title used in the UK.[/quote]

My UK copy is called Primal Scream while my US copy is copy called Shrink
sparky24

Postby Baidhnobas » Wed Sep 29, 2010 4:38 pm

Ah, more of a Zombie/Evil Eye thing, then.
Baidhnobas

Postby EZ Rhino » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:55 pm

So it's not really possible to go into every detail of every character but I'm really curious about how Rick Scarlett felt after Spann's identity as the Headhunter was revealed. How did it affect his self-image as an alpha male? Was he still sorry that he didn't get her into the sack that time in Seattle? Was he berating himself for not picking up on any clues in retrospect? Was he pissed that he didn't get to reveal her identity?
EZ Rhino

Postby sparky24 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:10 pm

that is a great thought , I really dont know what he would have thought . I reckon he would have been pissed that he did not pick up the clues and claim all the glory for himself and he probley would have liked to get her in the sack regardless !
sparky24

PreviousNext

Return to Novel Discussions