Shrink (a.k.a Primal Scream)

Spoilers ahead! Feel free to discuss the novels in detail. Avoid if you haven't read the books.

Postby Slade » Mon Jan 23, 2012 10:21 pm

I think you've both nailed it. But I suspect that not picking up on the clues from his manhunting partner did more than anything else to stall his career in the Mounties. His sexism blinded him.

Slade
Slade

Postby jellybelly » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:39 am

Hope this is right :oops:

A friend spoiled the fact that Spann returns to her head hunting ways in this book so how do the books as a whole flow together ? Are they connected even though each killer and story is different or is it done via slight nods to earlier books e.g. to loosley quote one of Stephen King's books -

"just down the road was where that dog went mad and killed a couple of people" (alluding to Cujo one of his previous books).

I am also keen to see why Spann suddenly decides to start killing again or whether she does it in secret during the books in between...

Please bear in mind i haven't read any of the other posts regarding this book nor have i read the book yet.

(Mr. Slade if i have messed up again please feel free to smite me from this board, thanks :cry: )
jellybelly

Postby dreab trawets » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:59 pm

That is half the fun..
finding out how and why...
And its not a straight forward story..as with any Slade book, there are lots of sub plots..
so you may know about Spann in this book, but, its not as straight forward as that..

In fact...its anything but..
remember.. nobody knows..

D. T.
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby jellybelly » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:07 pm

Dreab my fine fellow, your reply compounds why i should stop asking these inane questions ha,ha and just wait until i can read the damn books :lol:

I just can't help it though i am that hooked, no, obsessed with these books and i still haven't got and read the second book yet let alone all these others "aaaarrrggghh" !!

Phew that's better :lol:
jellybelly

Postby dreab trawets » Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:29 pm

Read the damn books...
And kill anybody that tells you things about them..

Of course I cannot wait for you to read about the alien abduction, and land living shark-octopus..
:lol:
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby jellybelly » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:22 pm

dreab trawets wrote:Read the damn books...
And kill anybody that tells you things about them..

Of course I cannot wait for you to read about the alien abduction, and land living shark-octopus..
:lol:

You cur ha,ha...'goes and sobs in the corner" :lol:
jellybelly

Re: Shrink (a.k.a Primal Scream)

Postby jellybelly » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:47 pm

Hmmm...i thought Shrink would focus on 'Sparky' more but there is also another 'headhunter' of sorts...ah Zombie has mention of a case being worked on of abuse within...hmmm indeed :mrgreen:
jellybelly

Postby jellybelly » Mon Feb 27, 2012 9:09 pm

I was going to ask something but i have presumably just 'read' my answer...it appears Sparky's psychosis has changed...

Something i will ask if i may, has anyone ever said any of your novels haven't been as good as others, or even rubbished one or more outright ? I ask because i have yet to be bored by one of your books Mr. Slade. An example i can give, again if i may, i mentioned a while back that i enjoyed John Sandford's books, they dealt with psychos and serial killers, some quite memorable (Dr. Bekker) but as the series went on i felt they where, well, boring, i even skipped / skimmed the final quarter of one of his books...

Just thought i'd ask :twisted:
jellybelly

Postby Slade » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:45 am

jellybelly,

It all depends on the reader. The early novels are all what I call "three ring circuses." Most have three plots that lock together at the end. Some of the ones coming up are more linear in style. One reader will say they move faster, another will miss the complexity. But then I go back to three rings.

I haven't written a book that doesn't have its champions. And WHICH book people like tells me a lot about them. You'll note raasnio's comment about BURNT BONES. Lawyers seem to like HANGMAN. DEATH'S DOOR is perhaps my most warped novel, fighting it out with GHOUL. Luna thought she didn't like CRUCIFIED, but then - on second thought - it became one of her favorites. And so it goes.

Slade
Slade

Postby EZ Rhino » Tue Feb 28, 2012 5:21 am

Maybe my only beef with Slade is that somehow, I always end up reading them too fast. Like i.am.sladist, I'm getting kind of antsy for another novel.
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby jellybelly » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:55 am

Slade wrote:jellybelly,

It all depends on the reader. The early novels are all what I call "three ring circuses." Most have three plots that lock together at the end. Some of the ones coming up are more linear in style. One reader will say they move faster, another will miss the complexity. But then I go back to three rings.

I haven't written a book that doesn't have its champions. And WHICH book people like tells me a lot about them. You'll note raasnio's comment about BURNT BONES. Lawyers seem to like HANGMAN. DEATH'S DOOR is perhaps my most warped novel, fighting it out with GHOUL. Luna thought she didn't like CRUCIFIED, but then - on second thought - it became one of her favorites. And so it goes.

Slade

Thank you Mr. Slade, would it be too pretentious of me to say ALL are my favourite so far ? :mrgreen:

I agree EZ, i read them way too fast, thankfully i still have a few more to read whereas you guys have read them all, must be hell waiting... 8-)
jellybelly

Postby PohlSE » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:49 pm

Slade wrote:

Slade

And that seemingly offhand comment seems like a very interesting topic for it's own thread. Your analysis of the proponents of certain books, based on their choices, and their reflection on your hits and misses...

Anyone else interested in digging into this vein and looking for gold?
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby jellybelly » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:36 pm

PohlSE wrote:
Slade wrote:

Slade

And that seemingly offhand comment seems like a very interesting topic for it's own thread. Your analysis of the proponents of certain books, based on their choices, and their reflection on your hits and misses...

I'd love to participate but seeing as i am still fairly new and am only roughly halfway through the series of books i am not sure if i would qualify just yet :oops:

Mind you saying all so far have been my 'favourite' must say something (or as my wife would say, something about my psyche ha,ha) ?
jellybelly

Postby jellybelly » Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:38 pm

Haven't finished it yet but Spann is no more...i feel a bit hollow now which i don't understand ha,ha :oops:
jellybelly

Postby krista in ma » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:02 pm

PohlSE wrote:
Slade wrote:

Slade

Thar be gold in dem hills. I definitely have my favorites and those that just didn't hit the same note.
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

PreviousNext

Return to Novel Discussions