Burnt Bones

Spoilers ahead! Feel free to discuss the novels in detail. Avoid if you haven't read the books.

Burnt Bones

Postby raasnio » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:47 pm

Discuss the novel Burnt Bones with fellow Sladists...
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby EZ Rhino » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:12 pm

"Never trust a Campbell."

Is that a popular saying in Scotland? Really? I'd follow this one anywhere:

Seriously though, I can remember meeting two people with the last name of Campbell and they were both good folks. How many MacDonalds have I met....more than a couple....I'm ok with them too, I guess.
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby EZ Rhino » Thu Feb 03, 2011 6:48 pm

How much of success is inspiration/genius/talent and how much is hard work/luck/opportunity? Kim Rossmo is a hell of an inspirational person and not just because he serves as a hero figure in a fictional medium.

The Burn Bones morgue details his early academic success and it just amazes me how he was able to balance work and school with apparently very little sleep for two years. I just can't fathom maintaining such a pace for so long. I've done academic work on little sleep for short bursts but nowhere near as long and I didn't have to contend with earning a living in a stressful environment on top of my studies. I know that powernaps can go a long way but short of resorting to chemical assistance (caffeine, illicit substances) I really don't know if I would be able to do the same.

Did Rossmo have something that can't be put on a resume? What was his internal motiviation? I read somewhere that there are 4 "D"s to success:
Drive
Dedication
Determination
Desire

Wonder if Rossmo ever thought about motivational speaking gigs on the side? I'm sure his present duties keep him very busy though. I hope he continues to do well.
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Re: Burnt Bones

Postby jellybelly » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:54 pm

...(continued from Multi-Media).

About _______ time !!! :mrgreen:
jellybelly

Postby jellybelly » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:47 pm

About halfway through so just an observation but Mephisto seems like a different calibre psycho compared to previous ones, although my Slade 'rush' may have obscured slightly because it feels like so long since my Slade immersion...

If this Mephisto survives the book then i dare say he would make a good foil for Robert, i mean they are both learned and, well, have greenhouses except one could be deemed light compared to the others dark (carnivorous plants) if you get what i mean, almost like a Holmes / Moriarty type situation...
jellybelly

Postby jellybelly » Sat Mar 17, 2012 7:56 pm

To fit in with the setting of the book, well, sort of here are some old pics of Scotland when me and my wife went for a break :P

Beautiful scenery !

Oban.

Loch Ness castle...if you look closely you can see Nessie lol joke :lol:

Vanessa won't forgive me for posting this ha,ha.

More beautiful scenery.

He as called 'Hamish', Aberdeen Angus is very tasty meat !

Finally the Braveheart Inn :lollol:
jellybelly

Postby krista in ma » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:32 pm

Nice pictures jb!
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby jellybelly » Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:14 pm

Thank you Krista :mrgreen:

Well another finished, what a damn fine read again, hats off to you Mr. Slade, i'll admit my Slade mystique has dwindled slightly as i had to wait so long but, yes, damn fine book.

Quite a nasty read too in regards to what happens to our 'heroes' and i see Mephisto 'could' be Robert's Moriarty after all... :mrgreen:

Question is when will i read the next in the series... :oops:
jellybelly

Postby Slade » Sun Mar 18, 2012 9:42 pm

You're halfway. In hindsight, I think HANGMAN - # 8 - is one of the best.

Slade
Slade

Postby EZ Rhino » Sun Mar 18, 2012 10:08 pm

Nice pix indeed. Thanks for posting.
EZ Rhino

Return to Novel Discussions