Hangman

Spoilers ahead! Feel free to discuss the novels in detail. Avoid if you haven't read the books.

Hangman

Postby raasnio » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:47 pm

Discuss the novel Hangman with fellow Sladists...
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Hangman

Postby chaos-consultants » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:19 am

First off, THANK YOU Raasnio for listening to my request. This should be fun over time!!!

Either way, I made a comment about Hangman a few months ago and someone jumped on my to remove it as it had spoilers in it, but now I am glad, because it prompted me to ask for a special section !!!!!

What I wrote was basically the fact that I really enjoyed the way Slade is able to take a sub-protagonist in the story and make them the antagonist in the climax of the story, yet almost still retaining that sense of empathy for them due to the compounding circumstances of their lives. Furthermore by twisting this through a police dept. has a very interesting surrealism to it that shadows some of the current perceptions of corruption for a policeforce who is supposed to serve and protect. Twisting this with Slade's 'whodunit' makes this my fave non-mephisto yet. Great Stuff Kudos Slade
"It's worked so far but we're not out yet" - Information Society (Star Trek)
chaos-consultants

Re: Hangman

Postby raasnio » Fri Mar 05, 2010 3:29 am

chaos-consultants wrote:First off, THANK YOU Raasnio for listening to my request. This should be fun over time!!!

Either way, I made a comment about Hangman a few months ago and someone jumped on my to remove it as it had spoilers in it, but now I am glad, because it prompted me to ask for a special section !!!!!

What I wrote was basically the fact that I really enjoyed the way Slade is able to take a sub-protagonist in the story and make them the antagonist in the climax of the story, yet almost still retaining that sense of empathy for them due to the compounding circumstances of their lives. Furthermore by twisting this through a police dept. has a very interesting surrealism to it that shadows some of the current perceptions of corruption for a policeforce who is supposed to serve and protect. Twisting this with Slade's 'whodunit' makes this my fave non-mephisto yet. Great Stuff Kudos Slade

You don't have to thank me. Slade has final approval. 8-)
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby chaos-consultants » Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:16 am

Raasnio, I still thank you for spotting and bringing it to Slade's attention.

I'll tell you what.. take your lumps and I will thanks Slade on Saturday at the book signing :-)

John
"It's worked so far but we're not out yet" - Information Society (Star Trek)
chaos-consultants

Postby EZ Rhino » Tue Sep 14, 2010 9:21 pm

I was bullied a few times by different people when I was an adolescent. Bart Busby's death scene held a certain satisfaction for me. I can't really say the same for any other character deaths in any of Slade's novels. It's a bit morbid of me to admit this I guess, but there it is.

Where this admission came from was an article I found in the archives of metafilter.com; it had a link to an article from slate magazine on strategies for dealing with bullies.

http://www.slate.com/id/2223976
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby Slade » Tue Sep 14, 2010 10:43 pm

EZ,

That's why Lisbeth Salander so appeals to women. She takes no prisoners in getting even with men for every slight, put-down, attack, etc., that the reader has endured in her life.

No one ever gets bullied who forgets about it.

You remember that thug till the day you die, and fantasize about getting even.

And if he/she's unlucky, you do. And if he/she's lucky, it's not with a .45.

Slade
Slade

Postby Mbwun » Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:42 pm

I was bullied in elementary school by a girl named Rachel. As a result, and I hope this doesn't offend dreab who has a daughter named Rachel, but to this day I just cannot stand the name.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Baidhnobas » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:48 pm

I reread Hangman over the break and almost cried when Maddy died. That's saying a lot because I've only been moved to tears once by a character's death. I wonder what that says and who it says it about--the author or the reader?

Mr. Slade, do you know a Peter Austen?
Immorality I know. Immortality I cannot judge.
Baidhnobas

Location: Lost. After a while one circle of Hell looks pretty much like another.

Postby EZ Rhino » Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:28 am

There's an interesting issue behind the concept of 'hangmen' in service of the state, or in earlier times, in service to the ruling monarch.

"We have been trained to think of violence as “wrong” since birth, because it is essential for the state’s continued existence that we accept the myth of its legitimacy, and the founding premise of that so-called legitimacy, the monopoly of force." - Jason Godesky

I heard someone say recently that violence in all its forms is to be condemned. I think it was in reaction to some random act of violence that horrified the public. I hear that fairly regularly now that I think about it.

Does anyone remember the first time someone told you that violence was wrong? Was it your parents? Perhaps they told you that you couldn't hit your sibling or a playmate or the family pet?

Are parents the first ones who told you that 'violence doesn't solve anything'? Did they learn that from the Bible? The whole 'eye for an eye' thing? It just makes me wonder how much we could change if everyone got together and had a change of worldview. Where would we begin to change?
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby Slade » Sun Mar 20, 2011 5:00 pm

EZ,

When I was a boy, the aftermath of World War II dominated everything. The new medium of TV, the magazine stands, kids' comics, everything. And the message was clear. The Nazis were monsters, and war - as much as it may have cost us - stopped them.

The Westerns SHANE and HIGH NOON captured that concept. Both are about "peaceful" men trying to live without the gun, until they get pushed too far, and then "A man's gotta do what a man's gotta do." Shane straps on the six-iron one more time, or the camera rises to watch Gary Cooper walk out into the deserted street alone.

Bottom line: I was never taught that violence was wrong no matter what. I was taught that violence was wrong unless...

The HANGMAN back story is finished and will go up very soon. It has lots about the Hanging Judge's connection to Lillooet.

Slade
Slade

Postby Slade » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:23 pm

Slade

Postby jellybelly » Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:22 pm

"You're pulling my leg"

That passage in the book, is that where the saying came from ? Damn, i say to my little girl all the time, "I'm pulling your leg"...makes me cringe a bit now ha,ha :oops:
jellybelly

Postby jellybelly » Thu Apr 19, 2012 6:28 am

As always whilst reading your books Mr. Slade, just ruminating...

A vigilante this time around, hmmm...?

I will hazard a guess again ha,ha, Maddy or Justin, or Maddy AND Justin, or Ethan...

You make things look so obvious, then the rug gets pulled ha,ha.

But, yeh, i'll go with Maddy...
jellybelly

Postby jellybelly » Fri Apr 20, 2012 10:29 am

WOW...

What a slam bang finish to yet ANOTHER great book !! I don't know if you ever read any critique about your books Mr. Slade, i know i have read a few demeaning reviews but despite everyone having the right to an opinion, well, they really should READ more :lollol:

Now to wait another 5 years for Death's door to arrive... :twisted:
jellybelly

Return to Novel Discussions