Death's Door

Spoilers ahead! Feel free to discuss the novels in detail. Avoid if you haven't read the books.

Death's Door

Postby raasnio » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:48 pm

Discuss the novel Death's Door with fellow Sladists...
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby AndyC » Thu Mar 11, 2010 5:42 am

This book has one of my favourite villains of the series, but only for a chapter. I would definitely love to see Stopwatch return in the future.
AndyC

Postby Slade » Thu Mar 11, 2010 6:36 pm

AndyC,

Stopwatch returns in RED SNOW, for the full novel.

Slade
Slade

Postby AndyC » Thu Mar 11, 2010 7:20 pm

Should have known that Mephisto would hire him for another job. That's great. Stopwatch cutting the bottom out of a vehicle with a thermic lance is definitely in my top ten favourite fictional heists. Can't wait to see what he does this time.

I actually have Red Snow sitting on my night table, but I've been fighting the temptation to read it before I get caught up on the previous novels. Now it will most likely be next on the list. I couldn't resist reading Kamikaze out of order either, so it was probably inevitable.
AndyC

Postby Slade » Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:48 pm

Scroll down and you'll see that PohlSE did an image of Stopwatch here:

http://www.specialx.net/specialxdotnet/novels.html
Slade

Postby PohlSE » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:44 pm

I'm feeling another image rumbling for Death's Door...
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Baidhnobas » Sat Oct 23, 2010 3:39 pm

Something I've been wondering for a long time, but never had a chance to ask...
Slade, at the beginning of the chapter "Coke Fiends" you write, "no, Charlie, that's not a typo. It's formication, with an m not an n." Who's Charlie?
Immorality I know. Immortality I cannot judge.
Baidhnobas

Location: Lost. After a while one circle of Hell looks pretty much like another.

Re: Death's Door

Postby jellybelly » Tue May 15, 2012 11:18 am

If you will humour me i have an Endoscopy adventure too...

I had been having pains for a while culminating in repeatedly falling to the floor in agony (i am cursed with a quite high tolerance to pain). It went on for a while until i was hospitalised, in hospital after I, yes I, pointed out to the doctor that there was a foreign object quite clearly shown on my X-ray (seriously we put our faith in people like this, come on) and i was eventually diagnosed with problems with my gall bladder. So at the ripe age of around 28 i had, in the doctor's words, something that should only affect old people. After some fun times with incontinent bed fellows on my ward and TRIPLE doses of Morphine every so often i eventually had an operation, had my gall bladder removed and now have 4 lovely scars on my torso :ire:

The point of my story is this. Leading up to all of the above i had some tests which involved Endoscopy treatments, two or three times. One time i had the process i apparently, according to what a nurse told me, awoke half way through the procedure and 'fought' the staff holding me down, i really don't remember that...Oh and one of the times i awoke whilst they where either pulling the instrument out or wiggling it about inside me and started to fret and choke...not pleasant at all :thnx:
jellybelly

Postby jellybelly » Wed May 16, 2012 8:56 am

I feel the need to comment again haha.

The KravMaga history was good, kind of reminds me of the principles behind Bruce Lee's Jeet Kun Do...

Jennifer Lopez learned it for one of her films I think and Brendan Fraser learned it in preperation for his fight with Jet Li in The Mummy 3, although the film and duel was tosh unfortunately haha.
jellybelly

Postby jellybelly » Thu May 17, 2012 9:35 am

Yet another cracking and enjoyable read bites the dust :|

Ah the ending...he's still out there...I take it 'he' returns in one of the other books ? Wait don't tell me ha,ha.

A couple of quotable lines in there too. "Good. Land on the island and take that ******" and "now give me some **** you ****", that last made me laugh out loud for some reason, sorry haha.

Lastly I am a little disappointed...I wanted Nick to 'crush' somebody or something with his prosthesis...maybe in another book ?

Onward to Bed of nails !!
jellybelly

Return to Novel Discussions