Bed of Nails

Spoilers ahead! Feel free to discuss the novels in detail. Avoid if you haven't read the books.

Bed of Nails

Postby raasnio » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:48 pm

Discuss the novel Bed of Nails with fellow Sladists...
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby EZ Rhino » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:45 pm

I was just reading this one again. In the chase scene where Zinc commandeers a biker and his chopper to chase a couple of suspects, the Oldmobile that the dealer and ho are riding in careens off an embankment and burst into flame.

I may be wrong here but didn't Mythbusters do an episode where they showed it's not possible for a car's gas tank to go up in flames when it's ruptured? I could just be being picky here but I do like Slade's books to be accurate.
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby PohlSE » Wed Aug 04, 2010 6:54 pm

That is correct The Mythbusters did indeed prove that a ruptured gas tank will not explode or even catch fire without a very specific set of circumstances being met.

To cause gasoline from a ruptured tank to burn at all you need to have the exact fuel to air ratio and a continuous ignition source directly in the fuel/air mix. So any strong breeze will reduce ignition chances to nearly nothing.

The going off the embankment and bursting into flames is more like a action film chase scene; not according to Hoyle accurate, but using dramatic license to give a fun, titillating climax to an intense scene.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby EZ Rhino » Tue Dec 07, 2010 4:03 am

Gaah! It looks like that german guy, Karl, is coming for my soul!! Freaky lookin' bastard. I'm talking about the Bed of Nails drawer in the morgue, of course.

When did it stop being 'cutesy' to refer to cannibalism in the media and become really serious? I remember cartoons as a kid where Bugs Bunny ended up in a big black pot on a fire in the middle of the jungle somewhere. Something to do with bringing a penguin back to south america or something like that. I don't think they portray cannibalism quite the same way now. The exploitation era of the 1970's had a lot to do with that, I think.

Does anyone know where and when they first started the association between cannibalism and zombies in movies and books?
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby PohlSE » Tue Dec 07, 2010 11:31 am

I always learn a lot from the Morgue Drawers but I think I learned the most from this one. Who knew that Slade walked into a prison riot?! Gads man, are you crazy?

Does anyone know where and when they first started the association between cannibalism and zombies in movies and books?

That's a great question! In White Zombie (1932) and Revenge of the Zombies(1943) the zombies were just mindless, undead, slaves. I really think George Romero started the cannibal zombie trend with Night of the Living Dead (1968).

I know Zombie flicks were popular in Italy for a time, perhaps there is an earlier example from their film vaults. Anyone know of any?
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Slade » Tue Dec 07, 2010 8:01 pm

In Pop Cult, there are moments that are Big Bangs. Cornerstones that those who didn't live through the moment can never grasp to full effect, because you need to have known the time BEFORE the Big Bang to truly absorb its impact.

There was no Rock-and-Roll in the Great White North, and then Elvis appeared on the Ed Sullivan show.

Murder was "tastefully" done onscreen until Hitchcock's PSYCHO.

The center label of records like the Rolling Stones' BEGGARS BANQUET had to inform listeners that the disk was designed to be played LOUD.

And young movie-goers went to the drive-in to neck (and, hopefully, get laid), until they were frozen stiff by the cannibals in NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD.

Slade

P.S. Interesting trivia: Due to an error in the mastering, BEGGARS BANQUET was heard for over thirty years at a slower speed than it was recorded. This had the effect of altering not only the tempo of each song, but the song's key as well. These differences were subtle but important, and the remastered version is about 30 seconds shorter than the original release.
Slade

Postby EZ Rhino » Tue Dec 07, 2010 10:45 pm

Slade wrote:Murder was "tastefully" done onscreen until Hitchcock's PSYCHO.

And people (men) getting shot in westerns changed. You'd hear a *bang* then the shootee would stiffen up and slowly pitch forward or sideways to the ground.

Back to the cannibals; I haven't seen 2000 Maniacs - sorry, small town and smaller video store - but is there any munching done in that one? That movie came out earlier than NotLD, I believe.
EZ Rhino

Postby PohlSE » Wed Dec 08, 2010 11:23 am

It's been awhile, but I don't remember any flesh eating in 2000 Maniacs. It has been many years, though...
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby PohlSE » Sat Dec 18, 2010 11:53 am

Every now and then I have to reclaim my honorary title of "Captain Obvious," and I'm afraid this is one of those moments...

I know from reading through them all that there is a lot of information in the Morgue Drawers. But it was just moments ago when the sheer volume of that information in total crashed down on me.

Do you guys realize that there is enough information, both text and visual, to fill at least a full sized book, if not more?

Let's think about that for a moment, since he started this project; Slade has been researching, writing, teaching, attending events, going on publicity junkets, keeping up with this forum, and, in his "spare time" writing tens of thousands of extra words!

Headhunter Drawer: 10,408 words
Ghoul Drawer: 6,694 words
Cutthroat Drawer: 8,107 words
Ripper Drawer: 5,072 words
Evil Eye: 9,278 words

That's 39559 words in just the first five drawers!!

So 40k words in five morgue drawers, let's assume that's a good average, that would mean that by the time the Morgue Drawers are complete there will be nearly 120,000 extra words written by Slade for us fans to get all the background information we could ever want... For free!

"The Sladist's Home Companion" as it were.

So, just in case I never said it before: Thank you, Slade, for the all the extra time and energy you've put into this project.

-Captain Obvious
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Mbwun » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:11 pm

Impressive!

Maybe it would be an idea to actually publish it all, including the pictures, into a book one day. Sort of like the way Diana Gabaldon put out that book, THE OUTLANDISH COMPANION.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby krista in ma » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:16 pm

PohlSE wrote:So, just in case I never said it before: Thank you, Slade, for the all the extra time and energy you've put into this project.

Very well stated PohlSE!
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby Slade » Tue Dec 21, 2010 2:27 am

krista and Mbwun,

Your PRIMAL SCREAM Slade Art covers are coming in the next Morgue drawer. Wait till you see how well they fit the text.

Slade
Slade

Re: Bed of Nails

Postby PohlSE » Fri May 18, 2012 10:00 am

Jellybelly wrote:In Bed of nails Zinc and 'someone' are still together, or at least the book gives the impression...but that certain 'someone' **** in Hangman ??

JB,

Sorry for changing your previous message, but the potential for spoilers was just too great.

Keep reading, Bed of Nails starts before Hangman but then advances to after Death's Door.

By doing it that way new readers to the series could jump in without missing a big chunk of the plot.

Again, sorry for moving your post.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby jellybelly » Fri May 18, 2012 11:32 am

No I am sorry.

like I rplied to you understand now as the Morlocks section of the book has just 'shown' me.

Maybe I should just shut up and read ha,ha :lollol:
jellybelly

Postby jellybelly » Sun May 20, 2012 6:40 pm

Oh well that's another one finished.

Once again cracking read, with only four more books to go I am thinking two things, will I ever read a Slade book that I don't like (doubtful) or what will I do with myself once all are read (shudders).

Anyway on with the inevitable questions...

I think I asked this way back when I joined, we'll see Congo man again ?

The Ripper, will he still plague Zinc, do they ever meet face to face, will the Ripper do what most authors do with their characters and break out and go after Zinc ?

Lastly, how much more can Zinc take, poor lad ha,ha.
jellybelly

Next

Return to Novel Discussions