Red Snow

Spoilers ahead! Feel free to discuss the novels in detail. Avoid if you haven't read the books.

Postby chaos-consultants » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:02 pm

e_taylor wrote:(Sorry, not specific to Red Snow per se)
Who else thinks the next character to go is DeClerq?
Not necessarily dead.... but retired maybe? He's been through too much.
Maybe when Kat joins the force and becomes a more prominent character?

At the signing yesterday Slade talked a bit about the arc of some of the characters, the ones having spent their wick being the logical ones to go, so the question is : Has Declerq's wick ran out? Either way Slade also seemed interested in developing some new characters, and perhaps we'll see more of Stopwatch.

John
"It's worked so far but we're not out yet" - Information Society (Star Trek)
chaos-consultants

Postby krista in ma » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:19 pm

PohlSE wrote:Edited to add:

Ok, I wasn't too lazy and I was wrong!

http://www.specialx.net/specialxbbs/viewtopic.php?t=624

Gill was number 1 but Zinc and 'Other' tied for two with Nick in third!

Still the venom and scorn heaped on Gill in that thread is pretty funny.

I went back and checked out the old thread and found this from you PohlSE...

PohlSE wrote:Then Special X is taken over by Dane Winter, Nick Craven, Jeckie Hett, and Katt.

Too specific?

Perhaps 75%? :D

I couldn't help but smile to myself as I thought of all the "happy" Sladists with the death of Gill.
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby PohlSE » Fri Mar 12, 2010 9:41 pm

krista in ma wrote:Perhaps 75%? :D

Yeah I certainly hit wide of the mark on that one. Funny thing though, when Nick kicked off I wasn't too sad to see him go. Shocked, yes, but Slade's right his time had come.

krista in ma wrote:I couldn't help but smile to myself as I thought of all the "happy" Sladists with the death of Gill.

I felt kind of guilty when I caught myself grinning over her demise...

...But only a little. :twisted:
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby AndyC » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:48 pm

chaos-consultants wrote:At the signing yesterday Slade talked a bit about the arc of some of the characters, the ones having spent their wick being the logical ones to go, so the question is : Has Declerq's wick ran out? Either way Slade also seemed interested in developing some new characters, and perhaps we'll see more of Stopwatch.
John

I definitely got the impression, reading Red Snow, that Slade felt a good housecleaning was in order. Over the course of a dozen books, he's gathered a lot of characters and backstory, and that can certainly begin to weigh down a series. I can see where a character cull would give the next book a little more room to move.

The one thing I am always reminded of when reading Slade (and especially this book) is that scene from The Last Action Hero, where Slater meets the real-life Schwarzenegger and says "You've brought me nothing but pain." With all that Slade has put his characters through, I'm pretty sure if he could ever meet his creations, they would hate him immediately. :D

Mephisto's background was a surprise, since it always seemed to me that whatever his true background was, he came from old money. But it makes perfect sense for someone coming from a background of poverty to invent a perfect new identity that fits the stereotypical wealthy, sophisticated Renaissance man. Quite a satisfying revelation.
AndyC

Postby raasnio » Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:51 pm

AndyC wrote:
chaos-consultants wrote:At the signing yesterday Slade talked a bit about the arc of some of the characters, the ones having spent their wick being the logical ones to go, so the question is : Has Declerq's wick ran out? Either way Slade also seemed interested in developing some new characters, and perhaps we'll see more of Stopwatch.
John

I definitely got the impression, reading Red Snow, that Slade felt a good housecleaning was in order. Over the course of a dozen books, he's gathered a lot of characters and backstory, and that can certainly begin to weigh down a series. I can see where a character cull would give the next book a little more room to move.

The one thing I am always reminded of when reading Slade (and especially this book) is that scene from The Last Action Hero, where Slater meets the real-life Schwarzenegger and says "You've brought me nothing but pain." With all that Slade has put his characters through, I'm pretty sure if he could ever meet his creations, they would hate him immediately. :D

Mephisto's background was a surprise, since it always seemed to me that whatever his true background was, he came from old money. But it makes perfect sense for someone coming from a background of poverty to invent a perfect new identity that fits the stereotypical wealthy, sophisticated Renaissance man. Quite a satisfying revelation.

Great points you made there. Mephisto's background was one of my favorite elements of the novel, for sure.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby Slade » Sat Apr 03, 2010 7:26 pm

Every Slade novel starts with the psychology of the psycho. Remember, I've sat in closet-sized rooms for countless hours with psychos of every kind.

When Mephisto stepped on-page in BURNT BONES, many readers thought I was creating a mega-villain along the lines of superhero comic books or James Bond.

Yes, I had fun with that (Jenna Bond, etc.), but narcissistic personality disorder gives me a lot of scope to play with the megalomaniac concept in the real world.

A question I used to get in the early days was: "Why don't you write about the supernatural?"

My reply: "The definition of psychosis is a 'break with reality.' Isn't that the same as the supernatural? There's nothing outside reality that I can't create in a psycho thriller."

Mephisto will continue to evolve in future novels. And as I peel away each layer, he'll get deadlier.

Slade
Slade

mephisto's back story

Postby marcd » Sat Apr 10, 2010 7:54 pm

Just got a hint of what makes Mephisto...brill...didn't see the connect with the hotel manager...Slade, the 'scarring', his appearance played out so well...it was a blast to read that reveal. Almost 'Headhunter' like with that ending!

Becky kicks ass! in "Death's Door" (guys, cross your legs around her Ha!) and here she dispatches with skates OUCH!
marcd

"It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada. RONNIE HAWKINS
marcd

Postby Wayne R. » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:35 pm

Just moving over from another part of the forum, s'cuse me a moment...

I agree with the 'too short' comments, but not in the sense of it being a low word count. The whole experience was like an amusement park ride. I waited in line for a new book to come out, it seemed forever, and then it arrived and was over in a high-speed blur of twists, turns and terror. It's got all the trappings, and the story's a good one. It's just so pared down and fast-paced that finishing it could cause whiplash.
If I can make a comparison: Modern Warfare 2. It even has a skidoo scene in it!

And Mephisto in cahoots with Stopwatch. Oh boy.

Originally, I took Mephisto as just someone who assumed a character like an actor, taking on a role as a means to an end. What he's turning into is much deeper and far more dangerous. Love it.
I'd also love to read the scene when DeClercq hears of his escape. Surely there'll be a "Whaaat?" loud enough to shake buildings.

On deceased characters, I'm all for it. Slade books are a hostile environment to live in, so there'll inevitably be a bodycount and it won't always be the bad guys. Did someone say housecleaning in another post? (edit: yes they did) Yes, maybe the decks needed clearing to make way for new cast members. Can't wait to meet them.
"If the monkeys can't peel bananas, why teach them rocket science?" - Verbatim reply from a Deputy Director at my former employers' when asked about training.
Wayne R.

Postby raasnio » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:15 am

Good post, Wayne. Yeah, I'm one of those that appreciates the dangerous world Slade puts his characters in. Too many authors, in my opinion, keep their top characters safe and it takes away from the suspense.

I would add that I hope we get a funeral at the start of the next one. My memory on this is fuzzy, but has there been an account of a Mountie's funeral in the novels yet? Slade seems to really put the reader in the moment(s) and I think this could be an interesting way to open the novel and really make it clear just how hard Special X was hit the last time 'round.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby Slade » Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:26 pm

raasnio,

You'll find a Red Serge funeral in EVIL EYE/ZOMBIE, the one attacked by the Nazi skinhead in the Corvette that leads to a chase down Highway 99 toward the U.S. border.

The one where Ghost Keeper rams the car.

Slade
Slade

Postby dreab trawets » Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:11 pm

Maybe kill of one of the MAIN characters in the funeral for the dead members.
Who would take over if it was Declerc that got taken out?
And will he ever be taken out?
How about Zinc, every bodies favourite fall guy, hero of the hour.
Or Katt, now that would put the Kat amongst the pigeons, (sorry!) even if the story arc of these characters isn't finished, a little pain for a lot of gain...
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Snow Blind

Postby The Doctor » Wed May 12, 2010 3:41 am

Well, I've stepped back online after taking my time reading Red Snow.
I finally managed to read a Slade book in slow motion!!!
I make it 3 months in all... A chapter a week... then a 100 pages last night because I couldn't do it any longer! But it was worth savouring the yarn.
I thought all the mounties were gonna succumb to a Slade bloodbath, but we got lucky with our leads surviving.
Will Slade never disappoint? Obviously, never. His well read and knows what readers want. (Please add another couple of hundred pages into the next book!!!). As per usual, another rollercoaster story and extremely difficult to read as slow as I did, but well meant because as per usual I want another!
I don't do drugs, but I reckon I know what addicts feel like!
Slade, stay healthy, I want to live long and keep reading your books well into my nineties!!! (Note. I'm gonna be 43 this year!)

All the best

Doctor
The Doctor

Postby AndyC » Wed May 12, 2010 2:11 pm

dreab trawets wrote:Maybe kill of one of the MAIN characters in the funeral for the dead members.
Who would take over if it was Declerc that got taken out?
And will he ever be taken out?
How about Zinc, every bodies favourite fall guy, hero of the hour.
Or Katt, now that would put the Kat amongst the pigeons, (sorry!) even if the story arc of these characters isn't finished, a little pain for a lot of gain...

There are some characters I would just hate to see killed off. Zinc, the good old-fashioned action hero, is at the top of the list. The books just wouldn't be the same without him. I could see him as DeClercq's eventual successor.

Same with Mad Dog. He'd be hard to replace. Mind you, killing off Mad Dog would require one kick-ass battle. No way he would be clubbed in a parking lot or lured to an unseen death by a poisoned pu$$y. Mad Dog could only go out in a blaze of glory. And it would have an interesting effect on Ghost Keeper - guilt, revenge, all that good stuff. I would certainly hate to have an angry Ghost Keeper coming after me with a personal score to settle.

DeClercq, on the other hand, is not getting any younger, he's lost a lot over the years, particularly in the last book, he's got another daughter to take care of, and he's one of the heroes of a fairly major terrorist incident, making him world famous and likely to get anything he wants from his superiors. Plus, Gill's probably left him a boatload of money. He's going to be emotionally drained, busy at home, and filthy rich. I think he's going to retire in the next book.

With all poor Robert's been through over the years, I can't see Slade killing him off. It would be an injustice. Mind you, it would make perfect sense for DeClercq to sacrifice himself to beat Mephisto once and for all, a la Sherlock Holmes. But that wouldn't preclude him being retired for the next couple of books, only to be lured back in by Mephisto later.

Count me in as expecting a red serge funeral at the beginning of the next book. With the degree of heroism, the international significance and the sheer body count of Red Snow, I would not be surprised to see one of those huge affairs, attended by cops and dignitaries from across the country and around the world. The thought has occurred to me that Slade might try to outdo Schreck's rampage in Evil Eye - a hard act to follow.

I suppose the big question I have is not so much what will be in the next book, but how long we'll have to wait for it. I wonder if it's already in the works.
AndyC

Postby dreab trawets » Fri May 14, 2010 11:30 pm

Mephistos trial is a farce, allowing Slade to highlight loopholes that need to be closed. Robert resigns in disgust at the system, along with mad dog, zinc, and ghost keeper.
Then the story returns to the past, with katt kidnapped by stopwatch.

Mad dog going in a kick ass fight scene, i agree with that, probably nuclear because he is a tough old sod.
Zinc would never take over as head of specialx as he couldn't be contained in the office.

We shall see, but with Rook on the scene, a crossover would be interesting.
Tortured in Angola, remember him?
Well we got tortured in Iraq lurking somewhere i reckon.
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby dreab trawets » Sat Dec 18, 2010 8:41 am

Morning Guv'nor..
Two questions one from me, and one from a friend who has just charged through all your books..

In Red Snow you give Mephisto's back story, vietnam father gone doolally bonkers big time, kid eating mum in cage...

You have said before that you start with the crimes and work backwards... So when did his back story appear in your fertile mind, and how does he go from that, into someone who has all this money flowing about when we first meet him?

from my friend...
Did you set out for de clerq and chandler to be akin to Holmes and Watson, or did it just meander its way towards that in the later books..
dreab trawets

PreviousNext

Return to Novel Discussions