Red Snow

Spoilers ahead! Feel free to discuss the novels in detail. Avoid if you haven't read the books.

Postby GINGER » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:02 pm

So in another thread your saying that you don't know when Mephisto will be back..

So he is still alive?
And stopwatch?

You can't do this to us.. ok to me..
I need resolution...
I need a court case, we haven't had one for ages.. I want to see the battle of minds in the court.. Mephisto representing himself...grilling Special X about all their daemons

And will he ever die?
Even bond villains get it in the end..

And I think de clerq would have thought of him having a tracking signal on him somewhere...

People have killed over this kind of exquisite torture..
:cry:
One side of me says I would like to talk to her, date her. The other side of me says I wonder how her head would look on a stick (Edmund Kemper)
GINGER

Location: Everybody needs a little madness, or you would never cut the rope and become free.

Postby ScottDBetson » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:48 pm

GINGER wrote:So in another thread your saying that you don't know when Mephisto will be back..

So he is still alive?
And stopwatch?

You can't do this to us.. ok to me..
I need resolution...
I need a court case, we haven't had one for ages.. I want to see the battle of minds in the court.. Mephisto representing himself...grilling Special X about all their daemons

And will he ever die?
Even bond villains get it in the end..

And I think de clerq would have thought of him having a tracking signal on him somewhere...

People have killed over this kind of exquisite torture..
:cry:

Mephisto will possibly die he might end up like The Ripper how he died in the Forensic Psychiatric Hospital over in Coquitlam in Colony Farm Regional Park, I am saying that can possibly happen but Mephisto will find a way to taunt DeClercq again he did it before he did it again in Red Snow and hes going to strike again becaue he and his apprentice are at large now due to the explosions at the end of Red Snow
ScottDBetson

Postby GINGER » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:37 pm

I always hoped that they were shots from Mad Dog who had managed to get there even though injured, because de clerq asked him..

Stopwatch dead or injured..
Mephisto injured So he can taunt Specialx in court..
One side of me says I would like to talk to her, date her. The other side of me says I wonder how her head would look on a stick (Edmund Kemper)
GINGER

Location: Everybody needs a little madness, or you would never cut the rope and become free.

Postby ScottDBetson » Sun Nov 27, 2011 8:56 pm

GINGER wrote:I always hoped that they were shots from Mad Dog who had managed to get there even though injured, because de clerq asked him..

Stopwatch dead or injured..
Mephisto injured So he can taunt Specialx in court..

I don't know if Mephisto will even make it to court someone might blow him away, with a sniper rifle and leave no evidence of them wanting to kill him, it could be Stopwatch that could do that who knows
ScottDBetson

Postby dreab trawets » Sun Nov 27, 2011 10:19 pm

I think stopwatch has too much tied up with Mephisto..
Too much history..

Mind you, knowing the crazed, warped, genius mind of the author, he has probably mentioned something as an aside in one of the older books, which will turn everything on its head.

I mean we don't know how he went from child eating his mother in a cage to having all this money, to do stuff..

Have you read RIPPER?
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby EZ Rhino » Wed Nov 30, 2011 8:18 pm

Mephisto could be Peter Brent, for all we know. That would explain how he knew so much about Declerq: pillow talkin' with McDougall.
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby GINGER » Wed Nov 30, 2011 9:30 pm

Knowing the sneaky lawyer tactics Slade has in his arsenal from many years in court, then nothing would surprise me..

I thought de clerq saw peter?
Yes you can change a face but changing mannerisms takes time..

But anything is possible..

I still think stopwatch is the guy in Ghoul who was sitting at the desk plotting and raging..
GINGER

Re: Red Snow

Postby Hydebound » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:56 pm

Sorry for coming so late to the party, Slade. Took me a LOOOOOOONG time to get my hands on a copy. Loved it, of course. No one else seems to have mentioned the classic mystery "in-jokes"- or am I imagining things? A reference to Ellery Queen, followed by a chapter entitled "The Player on the Other Side"? Were you suggesting a parallel between that novel's MPD antagonist and the self-reinventing Mephisto? And then there's the "no footprints in the snow" murder puzzle along with an incidental character called "Hake"? How about it, Slade? What gives??
Hydebound

Postby dreab trawets » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:38 am

I think your on to something there..

I suppose making him pole vault and being an acrobat, whilst showing how clairvoyants work their tricks would have been less subtle..
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Slade » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:32 am

Hydebound,

The in-jokes are for those who get them. Yes, Hake is Hake Talbot, RIM OF THE PIT. And "the player on the other side" is from Ellery Queen. And there are lots more.

In GHOUL, when Zinc enters The Well to have it out with the Bad Guy, there's a scarf hanging from the door. That's from Robert PSYCHO Bloch's first novel, THE SCARF.

My favorite is probably the undertakers - Davis, Craig, and Ingels - in ZOMBIE/EVIL EYE. Davis was the main artist in TALES FROM THE CRYPT, Craig in THE VAULT OF HORROR, and Ingels in THE HAUNT OF FEAR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graham_Ingels

Slade
Slade

Postby Hydebound » Tue Feb 28, 2012 11:16 pm

Oh, oh. Now I'm going to be constantly on the alert for these references, instead of focusing on the tale at hand... I don't recall whether I caught the EC artists in EVIL EYE, which would be odd for a veteran fan-addict (unofficial- I'm not that old...)
Hydebound

Postby dreab trawets » Sun May 06, 2012 11:21 am

I still want to know how Mephisto went from eating his mother in a cage to his money bonanza, allowing him to do stuff..

Rich adopted parents?
Oooh, imagine if he turned up at the boarding school from Ripper.

(Trying not to do spoilers here)
dreab trawets

Postby Slade » Sun May 06, 2012 5:20 pm

d.t.,

All in good time. It was quite a journey. Here's Mephisto's library:

http://www.wired.com/techbiz/people/mag ... ntPage=all
Slade

Postby jellybelly » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:44 pm

You know when I read a series of books by an author that i like there is a sense of foreboding sometimes as you work your way through the books, "will it be a good read, as good as the others", "has he / she lost there touch yet" and so on. James Patterson...from Kiss the girls onwards i enjoyed the Alex Cross books, the recent ones have been dull, poorly written duds (in my opinion), John Sandford...always offered up a 'cool' psycho protagonist in earlier works, later works, again, have been quite dull...

Now here we are Mr. Slade, at the apex with Red snow...
........................................................(speechless).............................................

OH MY GOODNESS :shock:

I'll admit, first impression was that the book didn't look very long, dare i think "he's lost touch and gone down the route of other authors by just churning out 'time filler' books"...

I can whole heartedly say a big fat f*** no !! Red snow was one of the most fast paced, shocking, intelligent reads i have ever read. I am still digesting what i have read, wow, you where BRUTAL with this book, the frantic culling of much loved characters, the girls taking out those mercs, Napoleon !!!, wow...

Keep in good health and keep offering us these excellent reads, nobody compares to Slade, NOBODY :mrgreen:

(...fanboy fawning will now cease ha,ha).
jellybelly

Postby Slade » Sat Jun 16, 2012 8:28 pm

Thanks, jellybelly.

Fifty pages of RED SNOW ended up on the cutting room floor because I decided to try something different. Thirteen books have established who these characters are, so let's strip this one down to seven mystery puzzles and non-stop action.

Slade's World works like - but predates - MI-5 (SPOOKS). The greatest tension comes from knowing any character can die.

"BRUTAL" is the buzzword.

<pin>

There, you've got the gong.

Slade
Slade

PreviousNext

Return to Novel Discussions