First nation..

Where we can discuss what's happening around the world. Past, present & future.

First nation..

Postby dreab trawets » Sun Jan 13, 2013 1:44 am

“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Re: First nation..

Postby EZ Rhino » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:08 am

When I hear or read about someone who asks, 'What do the natives want?' I always respond with, ''Who's asking?'

There are many different first nations in canada and many of them want different things: some want to be left alone, some want to make money, others want what was promised more than 150 years ago by the queen.

When people say they don't know what native peoples want you have to remember who native people are dealing with: anglophones, francophones, urban and rural canadians, catholics and anglicans, people who work in resource extraction economies wouldn't piss on me if I was on fire; liberal academic types aware of historical circumstances think I deserve every consideration and multiple chances to succeed even though I've failed more times than I care to mention. Canada is very big, wide and diverse so solutions are not easy to define when interactions between so many cultures are so different.

How do you define 'solved'? Lowered death rate? Redress for past land appropriations that were done illegally? For me, implementing many of the recommendations from the royal commission on aboriginal people's report would be a good start but that would be incredibly expensive. There would be a lot of failures in first nations communities because many of them are not equipped to handle sudden influxes of money properly because of historical injustices have left families, communities and leaders in a dysfunctional state. That university in saskatchewan run by aboriginal peoples is under investigation because of allegations of corruption. Nobody's infallible but we're under so much scrutiny it's disheartening sometimes. And we couldn't leave our own communities without asking permission from the indian agent until the mid 1950's. Sheesh!

If circumstances don't change canada could and should end up with a black eye on the world stage. Look at how long it took for the federal government to sign the un's international declaration of indigenous people's rights. Dealing with all of this left me with an ativan prescription and a really bad alcohol addiction. Still got my sense of humour though. Nobody's going to take that away from me. :)
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby EZ Rhino » Fri Jan 18, 2013 7:49 pm

According to this blog, if the same standards that people are applying to Attawaspikat were applied to Toronto, that city would be put into third party management.

http://www.oktlaw.com/blog/taking-a-second-look-at-those-attawapiskat-numbers/

At 60,000 per year in salary, and that's probably on the lower end, the 5,150 bureaucrats in Aboriginal Affairs Northern Devlopment Canada would be making $309,000,000 in salary each year. That's just salary. I would have to sit down and think about how I could extrapolate the costs of maintaining that bureaucracy: building maintenance, office operations, equipment, communications costs, travel, etc. I'm sure it's many hundreds of millions more. It might even be on the internet somewhere.
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby Judy » Sat Feb 02, 2013 2:18 pm

EZ . . .
I think these are similar to the issues faced by native Americans in my country as well . . . and many of them are still being debated . . . Treaties that were signed and never honored . . . mismanagement of funds etc. It's a never ending issue. and I'm sad to say it probably will not be resolved in our lifetimes.
Personally, issues I have experienced in my life I have come to regard as learning experiences . . . and after all these years I've just let go of them . . . I don't have the time or energy to allow them to have power over my ability to appreciate my life now.
:outtahere:
An archaeologist is the best husband any woman can have: the older she gets, the more interested he is in her.
Agatha Christie
Judy

Return to World Events