Politics as Blood Sport

Where we can discuss what's happening around the world. Past, present & future.

Postby Slade » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:58 pm

During the U.S. election, several Boarders decried the fact that there are only two power-wielding parties in Washington. And several Boarders are Libertarians.

What's going on north of the border is a mind-boggling example of the pitfalls that yawn in a multi-party system. In the middle of an economic crisis, there is now a political crisis that has frozen the government. Consider this lay of the chessboard.

Harper is trying to govern as if he has a majority.

He doesn't.

To get a majority in this country, you must win over Quebec.

Here's the latest opinion polling:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/s ... hub=Canada

Here's what the polling found when respondents in various regions were asked who was to blame for the current political situation:

The Conservatives are to blame:

Canada-wide: 45 per cent
Quebec: 63 per cent
Ontario: 42 per cent
West: 31 per cent

The three Opposition parties are to blame:

Canada-wide: 40 per cent
Quebec: 22 per cent
Ontario: 43 per cent
West: 52 per cent

So what's the next intelligent move on the chessboard? I'm interested to see how Americans would play it.

Your move.

Slade
Slade

Postby MarylandManson » Fri Dec 05, 2008 10:29 pm

Slade wrote:Harper comes out of Alberta. That's where the oil is. That's where the petrodollars flow. Enough said?

Absolutely. It might be fun to poke around here...

http://www.ainc-inac.gc.ca/ai/mr/is/iogc-eng.asp

...and speculate about how a coalition government would play ball with Alberta oilmen.

As for an American's chess move, what could Harper offer the provincial Parti Quebecois that it might want in exchange for federal support via its Bloc ties? Maybe an audit of Charest's books to find the deficit where he claims a surplus? There's probably not enough time for that. It's tough to see Harper gain ground in Quebec other than with a way to help the PQ gain an advantage over the PLQ. Pauline Marois' assertion (per the ealier article you linked to, Slade) that separation is on a back burner could be an opening. Of course, Harper might not want to get in bed with Marois. Interesting conundrum!

Cheers! MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

Postby Mbwun » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:37 pm

I found it rather amusing that, in the controversial, out-of-focus, video of Stephane Dion that was sent to the GG, the books on the shelves behind him were in focus, and the one that was most clearly seen was a book called Hot Air.

I wonder if he's actually read the book, or whether someone put it there intentionally as some kind of statement? Maybe a conspiracy is afoot within the ranks of the Liberal Party.

I don't know how successful the coalition government Canada had almost a century ago was, but, considering the infighting that inevitable erupts within the ranks of a political party these days, I couldn't see any kind of coalition between three parties holding together for ... what was it they were proposing ... 18 months? ... Never happen.

All in all, I think the GG made the right decision.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby e_taylor » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:48 pm

Mbwun wrote:I found it rather amusing that, in the controversial, out-of-focus, video of Stephane Dion that was sent to the GG, the books on the shelves behind him were in focus, and the one that was most clearly seen was a book called Hot Air.

I wonder if he's actually read the book, or whether someone put it there intentionally as some kind of statement? Maybe a conspiracy is afoot within the ranks of the Liberal Party.

I don't know how successful the coalition government Canada had almost a century ago was, but, considering the infighting that inevitable erupts within the ranks of a political party these days, I couldn't see any kind of coalition between three parties holding together for ... what was it they were proposing ... 18 months? ... Never happen.

All in all, I think the GG made the right decision.

Anyone else think she prorogued to give HERSELF and not the Conservatives more time! :P
We shall see that at which dogs howl in the dark, and that at which cats prick up their ears after midnight. - HP Lovecraft in From Beyond
e_taylor

Postby Slade » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:25 am

Obama speechwriter Favreau learns the perils of Facebook

(CNN) — Jon Favreau, future White House director of speechwriting, has so far been at a loss for words over Facebook pictures of him at a recent party.

Pictures of Favreau, 27, at a recent party appeared on Facebook Friday. In one of the photos, Favreau, who served as President-elect Barack Obama’s chief speechwriter during the campaign season, was dancing with a life-sized cardboard cut-out of future secretary of state Hillary Clinton. In a second photo, a friend was offering the cutout a bottle of beer while Favreau stood beside the likeness with his hand on the cardboard New York senator’s chest.

The picture was reportedly up for a scant two hours or so before Favreau removed it, along with every other picture of himself beyond his profile photo — but there’s no getting the Facebook genie back in the bottle.

Favreau wasn’t talking to reporters about the incident, but transition officials said he had offered an apology to Clinton.

The Clinton camp reaction? "Sen. Clinton is pleased to learn of Jon's obvious interest in the State Department, and is currently reviewing his application," Clinton aide Philippe Reines told the Washington Post.
Slade

Postby PohlSE » Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:27 am

Raasnio,

It's been about a year since either of us mentioned global warming and the evidence against this junk science continues to grow...

Did you read the EPA report that our new "open and honest" White House suppressed so it wouldn't interfere with the new "tax-em-till-they-bleed" global warming bill?

Article

Suppressed 98 page report

A couple of the more embarrassing parts for the politicians who still want to use global warming as a political tool; global temperatures have declined for 11 years and will continue to do so, and that research from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and the Climate Change Science Program (now known as Global Change Research Program) should not be trusted at face value.

There is a lot more in the full report but those are my favorites.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby EZ Rhino » Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:37 pm

I like you PohlSE so cut it out!!
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby i.am.sladist » Mon Jun 14, 2010 11:37 pm

THANKS BP!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LzIoi5G ... re=related

Not only are you polluting the ocean and killing the wildlife ... lets not forget about the people ... you know, the ones that make a living fishing in the gulf.
Really? Really. Month and a half ... oil still gushing ...but that's ok because you still have you billions ... right? Thanks ...
I am Evil.
I am Woman.
I am Sladist.
i.am.sladist

Postby Mbwun » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:54 pm

You know, the next time they hold one of these G20 Summits, wouldn't it be a better idea to hold it on a cruise ship out in the middle of the ocean somewhere? It could be accompanied by a nuclear submarine, and an aircraft carrier, and if anything unauthorized tries to get anywhere near the ship, just torpedo it, or blow it out of the sky.
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Slade » Sat Jul 10, 2010 10:14 pm

John le Carre is the undisputed master of the Cold War spy novel. Here's his take on the recent spy swap:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/ju ... n-le-carre
Slade

Postby EZ Rhino » Sat May 07, 2011 4:34 am

I've never quite understood how a person can have so much of their personality invested in symbols. For example, americans who go ballistic whenever an american flag is burned in protest. Well, I just read a quote in one of the fark.com threads that articulates just what my feelings are with people who are way too emotional over a piece of cloth:

"This is what happens when you base your entire identity around a symbol instead of what that symbol represents."

What makes me think about these things is that every now and then, I wonder at how much more human beings could do with the lives they're given. So much suffering in the world. *sigh*
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby Mbwun » Tue Jul 26, 2011 2:47 pm

Things sure don't look good for Jack Layton do they?

I think he put on a brave face for the public yesterday, but by the looks of him, I don't think the prognosis is very good at all. He's barely recognizable from what he looked like during the recent election.

My thoughts and prayers will be with him - it looks to me like only a miracle is going to save him.

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby dreab trawets » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:18 pm

So the fall of the american (roman) empire was not with elephants.. but with bickering..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-14296843

Come on guys, get it together..

The federal government runs a budget deficit that topped $1.5tn (£920bn) this year, and has amassed a national debt of $14.3tn.

Best idea yet, and everybody says, LA LA LA DONT LIKE IT BECAUSE I DIDNT THINK OF IT..

It would protect social programmes for the poor and elderly and a public pension programme - all popular among Democrats, while not raising new tax revenue.

The 10-year plan includes $1.2tn in cuts to defence and other discretionary spending and $1tn in savings from winding down the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby i.am.sladist » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:43 am

My two cents:

The American public is outraged and disgusted with our government leaders.
The 'Tea Party' was supposed to be about the people, for the people ... and although it may have started as such I just don't see where that is still the case.
Our government, Congress, the Pres, cannot balance our budget, cannot reduce debt and cannot even agree to a feasible resolution because neither side is willing to compromise, and who is going to suffer?
The middle class.
So they raise the debt ceiling, our credit rating as a nation goes into the shitter ... the politicians don't care because they're all in the higher income bracket, getting the tax breaks.
The cost of living continues to go up and up but the middle class pay check ain't budging. People are maxing out on unemployment until the benefit runs out, the extensions run out, and they still can't find jobs.
President Obama goes on a tour of America and acts surprised when he's faced with answering questions from the public about his actions. And the sad thing is, he has no answer for them.
They want to cut Medicare and even I accept that Social Security won't be there when I'm ready to collect ....
(big mistake, don't mess with the seniors because seniors have nothing better to do and they come out in droves to vote)
And did you read this:
"Bo, the Obama family’s family dog, flew via private jet to meet the presidential family on vacation"
Really? Really. The dog got a private jet.
Really.
I don't pay much attention to politics because I think they are all a bunch of lying bastards.
According to a recent poll, I am in the 16% of undecided voters because none of the prospects thrill me.
We've all seen what Obama has to offer .... =|
Rick Perry, I don't trust him, he's from Texas.
Bachmann, how admits publicly, "A wife should be submissive to her husband ..." what she means by that is respect. So say respectful.
submissive: unresistingly or humbly obedient
respectful: full of, characterized by, or showing politeness or deference
A slight difference there, no???

But, I digress, it's all bullshit and it doesn't matter anyway because in a few years, at the rate we're going, China will own this country.
I am Evil.
I am Woman.
I am Sladist.
i.am.sladist

Postby EZ Rhino » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:41 am

China doesn't own the major share of the national debt of the US of A. I believe the american public does. What the implications of that are unclear to me but it can't bode well for the average worker/citizen/taxpayer who can barely make it from one paycheck to the other without breaking down in anxiety attacks.
EZ Rhino

PreviousNext

Return to World Events