Politics as Blood Sport

Where we can discuss what's happening around the world. Past, present & future.

Postby PohlSE » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:39 am

i.am.sladist wrote:Rick Perry, I don't trust him,

I hate Rick Perry with a white hot passion. He is the true embodiment of Elmer Gantry.

I accidentally snapped off a friend of mine's head when he was complimenting Perry on facebook. Perry just makes me hostile to the core.

Between the Gardasil scandal, his pro-illegal immigration stance, the misappropriation of FEMA funds, the rumored sex scandals, cronyism, the continued attempts to give foreign governments the right to seize private property, his support of ALGORE, the gross misuse of taxpayer dollars, and continued broken campaign promises I find it shocking that republicans (outside of Texas) seem so enamored with him.

He. Is. Scum.

This is not idle hyperbole or politically motivated vitriol. This is 20 years of observation of the Texas political landscape...

Were he anything other than a politician he would be in jail.

i.am.sladist wrote: he's from Texas.

Could be worse; he could be from some anonymous East Coast landfill. :wink:
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Slade » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:08 pm

i.am.sladist,

You're not alone in your frustration:

http://finance.fortune.cnn.com/2011/08/ ... ?hpt=hp_t1
Slade

Postby Slade » Mon Nov 14, 2011 5:58 pm

Flags!

A lot of blood has been shed over the politics behind a piece of colored cloth. Here's a telling tale of the Stars and Stripes:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15634606
Slade

Postby EZ Rhino » Wed Nov 23, 2011 4:21 pm

So, when it's the powerful rich people who are in danger of any kind, then the RCMP will collaborate the fuck out of provincial police!?!?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2011/11/22/g20-police-operation.html

Love how the undercubber cop testified with all seriousness that he felt white people's lives were in danger when some young feller yelled "Kill Whitey!" at an organizing meeting. (Most of the people there were white, according to the article.) Sheesh!

"Deliberately or accidentally, the undercover officers misinterpreted hyperbolic jokes as literal statements of belief," said Kalin Stacey, a community organizer, friend and supporter of the defendants. "This undercover case highlights the incentive for undercovers to ensure that charges are laid."
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby raasnio » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:44 am

Truth is, the financial crisis and the corruption cannot be solved because any candidate who is serious about taking the hard steps towards 'righting the ship' gets marginalized.

I'm still leaning towards not voting as I tire of writing in candidates. Why vote for someone who won't publicly and legislatively address campaign finance reform, the federal reserve, the military industrial complex, and the restoration and preservation of our freedoms? I won't and if the only choices are the same old candidates who support the status quo then I'm out.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby Slade » Sun Dec 18, 2011 6:04 pm

Where Slade lives, a great national debate is underway:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-16219305
Slade

Postby EZ Rhino » Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:02 am

Moose? Marmot? Muskrat? Loon! That's the ticket!
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby ScottDBetson » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:52 am

The Names Betson, Scott Betson, and welcome to the Forum of No Return
ScottDBetson

Postby Slade » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:18 pm

The lawyer in me loves this legal question:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-16822257

Lately, I've been watching a lot of European cop shows. If you're not into them yet, you should be. That's where the action is. Venice is my favorite city, so now it's BRUNETTI:

http://www.mhznetworks.org/shop/home.php?cat=310

The UK Supreme Court must wrestle with different legal systems in the EU era.

Slade
Slade

Re: Politics as Blood Sport

Postby Baidhnobas » Thu Mar 01, 2012 3:05 am

I just listened to Rick Santorum's "Satan is targeting America" speech and was tickled by his asking "If you were Satan, who would you choose?" since the question was also posed in Crucified and answered much more logically. Seriously, who appointed America the world's moral guardian? Guardian of human rights and freedoms I can understand--first modern democracy--but where does the Defender of the Faith come in? It's--gah, there's nothing to say. You can't argue with stuff that flimsy. And yet people made him a senator.

Been doing some fact checking...a Catholic thinks America is more virtuous than the Vatican? That Satan would rather infiltrate America than the stronghold of his enemy--excuse me--Enemy?
He can't believe the stuff he says. He sure doesn't seem to listen to it.
Immorality I know. Immortality I cannot judge.
Baidhnobas

Location: Lost. After a while one circle of Hell looks pretty much like another.

Postby raasnio » Thu Mar 01, 2012 4:31 am

Baidhnobas wrote:I just listened to Rick Santorum's "Satan is targeting America" speech and was tickled by his asking "If you were Satan, who would you choose?" since the question was also posed in Crucified and answered much more logically. Seriously, who appointed America the world's moral guardian? Guardian of human rights and freedoms I can understand--first modern democracy--but where does the Defender of the Faith come in? It's--gah, there's nothing to say. You can't argue with stuff that flimsy. And yet people made him a senator.

Been doing some fact checking...a Catholic thinks America is more virtuous than the Vatican? That Satan would rather infiltrate America than the stronghold of his enemy--excuse me--Enemy?
He can't believe the stuff he says. He sure doesn't seem to listen to it.

Santorum will say anything to get in. He's appealing to religious republicans. Hell, he says he's for smaller government, but his voting record says otherwise.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby dreab trawets » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:16 am

Anybody keeping up with next round on the Murdochs in the levensen enquiry.

Yesterday, the son, James, basically tried to divert attention by throwing a conservative minister on the fire..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-15717764

Oh my.
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Slade » Thu Apr 26, 2012 11:55 pm

d.t.,

Indeed, I am. Every time I'm in London, I go to the Old Bailey for a day in the public gallery of Courtroom Number One to watch British barristers at work.

When Robert Jay QC suggested "some people" might say News International's response was to cover up rather than expose the scandal, Rupert Murdoch snapped at him: "People with minds like yours..."

Lord Justice Leveson was clearly shocked and Mr Murdoch immediately apologised - "I take that back."

"I've got a thick skin," smiled the QC, knowing he'd scored a point.

Mr Jay scored again when the media mogul admitted he'd been "under duress" after being harassed by a horde of photographers and journalists: "I had another 20 or so outside my apartment this morning."

Lord Justice Leveson picked up the irony of the media boss being troubled by paparazzi: "I think we might come back to that later..."

The judge was far less amused by Mr Murdoch's comments about the privacy case brought by the Formula 1 boss Max Mosley, over a story falsely alleging he'd had a "sick Nazi orgy". Mr Mosley received a record £60,000 in damages. In his court ruling, Mr Justice Eady suggested that the News of the World's chief reporter had "made a clear threat" to print a woman's picture unless she co-operated with the paper.

Asked for his comment, Mr Murdoch said he was less shocked by this than Mr Justice Eady, commenting that "a journalist doing a favour for someone in return for a favour is pretty much everyday practice".

Lord Justice Leveson said he found that approach somewhat disturbing: "I don't think Mr Justice Eady is using too strong a word if he described it as a form of blackmail. If it is the culture and practice of the press that this is acceptable and justifiable, then I would like to know that. This is at the very core of part of what we are doing here."

Once again Mr Murdoch apologised, saying he hadn't read the judgement: "But it is a common thing in life, way beyond journalism, for people to say, I will scratch your back if you scratch my back."

Mr Jay pounced again, suggesting that this was exactly what people said about Mr Murdoch and politicians - something he had been denying throughout his evidence.

Mr Murdoch gave a rueful smile.

Good stuff!
Slade

Postby dreab trawets » Tue May 01, 2012 2:43 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-17898029

Rupert Murdoch "is not a fit person to exercise the stewardship of a major international company", MP select committee haS said.
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby EZ Rhino » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:40 pm

A reddit-user made this comment that sums up why people vote against their own interests:

Its all about making sure the other guy gets fucked just as hard, if not harder. There's a good portion of the voting public in America that would gladly be reduced to living in a cardboard box, eating pigeons that they roasted on a curtain rod over a steel drum fire, if you could guarantee that the gay/black/hispanic/muslim/catholic/whatever in the next cardboard box over didn't have a pigeon or a curtain rod.
EZ Rhino

PreviousNext

Return to World Events