Whats the first Slade book you read/bought?

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Whats the first Slade book you read/bought?

Postby Bombz Away » Wed Jun 04, 2008 1:44 pm

Mine was Ghoul - the paperback issue with the Holographic cover and the blurb by Alice Cooper. This copy has long since bit the dust (over read) and I bought another copy. I wondered what started other Sladist off....
Bombz Away

Postby SickThing » Wed Jun 04, 2008 2:31 pm

I saw the U.S. hardcover in a bookstore and was intrigued by the cover enough that I bought the book. I've been hooked on Slade ever since....

Hunter
SickThing

Postby WaywardSoul » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:48 pm

"RIPPER" was my first.

In the middle of an 8 day stay in intensive care, I told my mother I was going crazy without something to read.

She goes down to the hospital's gift shop and knowing the horror fan I am, she picks up RIPPER and brings it back.

"Just great", I think to myself, "Another hack writer I've never heard of beating that same old dead horse".

Boy, was I wrong!
As the late Bo Diddley once sang, "You Can't Judge a Book by Its Cover."

As soon as I was strong enough to leave the hospital, the first thing I did was visit the local used bookstore and pick up the first three novels and I've been playing the waiting game with each new installment ever since then.
"Remember, there's a big difference between kneeling down and bending over." - Frank Zappa
WaywardSoul

Postby Mbwun » Wed Jun 04, 2008 8:22 pm

I found both of these at a thrift store one day, and just loved the creepy covers:

What sold me on them was the fact that at least some of the action took place here in the Vancouver area, the investigators were RCMP officers, and the authors were local.

So, I started looking for more of them in the thrift stores, and purchased Cutthroat, Ripper, and Evil Eye as used books. After that I invested in new copies of the rest.

I must confess that I owned all of them up to and including Bed of Nails before I even started to read any of them.

I started with Headhunter, and worked my way through them in the order in which they were written.

I now own up to Hangman in hardcover. Of course Cutthroat and Ripper were never available in hardcover here in North America. I also own both the US and Canadian mass market covers of Death's Door, 1st and 2nd trade printings of Swastika, and trade paper of Kamikaze, and these newer printings of Headhunter and Ghoul:

I continue to hunt for hardcovers of Death's Door, and Bed of Nails, and hold out a slim hope that I will run across the Allen printing of Headhunter one day.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby LivingDeadGirl » Thu Jun 05, 2008 10:52 pm

I think my first was "Primal Scream" and from that moment on, I could never find another writer whose work so fascinated me and disturbed me so much. The graphic violence and gore were a turning point in my reading. Prior to M Slade, it was Robert Ludlum and that type of book, after M Slade, the darker and more twisted the better and so much more entertaining.
Pleasure is the child of pain
LivingDeadGirl

Postby PohlSE » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:10 am

Many long moons ago my dad gave me a copy of Headhunter that he bought on a business trip to D.C. (I think it was). I was hooked but couldn't find any thing else by Slade. About a year later I found Ghoul and started checking the bookstores regularly for a new Slade book.

I still have that copy of Headhunter... And Ghoul... And Cutthroat... Well, you see where I'm going.
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby steelclaw32 » Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:07 am

WAAAAAAAY back This wot grabbed me. I even gave Slade himself a nice surprise when we first met, with it.
:

In case your wondering it was the FIRST British 'Star'paperback edition.

Oh and it's the proper one too, not the "new version" which has the important bit edited out, mentioned elsewhere here on the site.
steelclaw32
There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio,
Than are dreamt of in your philosophy. Hamlet: Act 1, Scene 5.
steelclaw32

Postby MrEd » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:44 pm

Headhunter, as the late, great George Harrison would've said - 'all these years ago'...
"One that will not reason is a bigot. One that cannot reason is an ignoramus. One that dares not reason is a slave." - Anon
MrEd

Postby EZ Rhino » Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:46 pm

Yep. Headhunter was my first Slade novel too. Bought each one as it came out. I'm a die hard Sladist.
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby Judy » Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:44 am

Mbwun wrote:I continue to hunt for hardcovers of Death's Door, and Bed of Nails, and hold out a slim hope that I will run across the Allen printing of Headhunter one day.

Hi Mbwun,
I HAVE the Allen London edition of Headhunter . . . paid either $75 or $85 for it from an online dealer (I think it was Alibris or ABE Books . . . don't remember which . . . it's been awhile back when I bought it.

Judy :D :D
Judy

Postby B.C._scream_queen » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:52 pm

My first was Ripper and I loved it!
B.C._scream_queen

Postby Hydebound » Thu Jun 19, 2008 5:42 pm

I grabbed Headhunter off the rack when I lived in NYC in the 80's. The cover, the genre, the wealth of rave reviews (especially the "Thinking man's Texas Chainsaw Massacre" blurb) made it an easy choice. I haven't missed a Special X book since.
Hydebound

Postby TwiztdFidgt » Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:36 am

First Slade book I read was Burnt Bones. I was 9. I wanted something different from the library and I just had a good feeling about the book. First Slade book I bought was a copy of Headhunter for $0.25 at a thrift shop. I think they should've charged me more. :P
Lawyer: "Any suggestions as to what prevented this from being a murder trial instead of an attempted murder trial?"
Witness: "The victim lived."
TwiztdFidgt

Re: Whats the first Slade book you read/bought?

Postby krista in ma » Tue Jul 08, 2008 1:42 pm

Bombz Away wrote:Mine was Ghoul - the paperback issue with the Holographic cover and the blurb by Alice Cooper.....

That's the one that got me hooked too! I can remember going to the book store, looking for a few books to bring on vacation.... Ghoul was set up so that the the cover was facing out (I'm attracted to shiny things :D ) and voila.... The next one I read was Headhunter. I spent many a lunch time reading that at the Boston Public Library.
~ Spc. Byron W. Fouty, MI ~ Staff Sgt. Alex R. Jimenez, MA ~
They have served our nation; together they are home.
~ Staff Sgt. Keith Matthew Maupin ~
An American Son Returns Home
krista in ma

Postby Vcela » Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:22 am

My first read was Ghoul as well. Not sure how I got my hands on it but it was the late 80s. I wasn't sure how I felt about the book as I had never read anything quite like it. Upon finishing it I immediately went out and found Headhunter and that book blew me away. Been hooked since then and gobbled up every book as soon as I could after that.

Incidentally, my version were the same as those Mbwun pictured above.
Vcela

Next

Return to Multi-Media