10 Favorite Horror Films

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Postby PohlSE » Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:28 am

The way I had to get my list to 10 was to list about 25-30 different horror films that I really liked, included on that list was Romero's entire DEAD trilogy, and then I slowly weighed the merits and memories I had of each film. Finally, after I eliminated about half of them, I began comparing them all and asking myself "if both of these films were on right now, which one would I watch first...

That's how DAWN (a more comedic style) made the cut over DAY (the scarier of the three) and NIGHT (the ground breaking one). If all three of them were on at the same time I would watch DAWN first (then DAY).

That's also how I revised my list; I haven't watch several of those films in a few years so after I refreshed myself (with a glut of Carpenter) I really needed to alter the order. I would watch PRINCE over any of the others save THE EXORCIST, so it demands spot number two.

This would be an interesting exercise with other genres, too. Comedy, action, sci-fi...
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby Wayne R. » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:45 pm

1. The Thing - 1982
2. The Exorcist III - 1990
3. Saw - 2004
4. An American Werewolf in London - 1981
5. Halloween - 1978
6. Nightmare on Elm Street 3 - 1987
7. Dawn Of The Dead - 2004
8. Damien: Omen II - 1978
9. Bride of Chucky - 1998
10. Hellraiser - 1987

I guess I like practical effects, which probably explains Elm St 3 over the original. There's a few on there that might raise eyebrows, like the Dawn Of The Dead remake, but the original's looking a bit dated now. For the same reason Hellraiser hobbles into last place, some of the effects look pretty bad now and they probably weren't really that good back then.
Bride of Chucky was completely tongue-in-cheek, continually nudging and winking at the audience. Loved it.
To this day if The Thing's on TV, I'll watch it. And Exorcist III has to be the creepiest film ever made. Hardly a special effect to be seen, and some fantastic dialogue from George C. Scott.
As with SciFi, good horror's hard to find these days. Maybe it should be made law that film makers are forbidden from using loud and sudden whooshing noises when there's a tap on the shoulder or a cat jumping out from behind the bookcase.
"If the monkeys can't peel bananas, why teach them rocket science?" - Verbatim reply from a Deputy Director at my former employers' when asked about training.
Wayne R.

Postby Wil » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:37 am

First off I'm pissed at the format of this. Only ten! And ranked! You must be mad. No way am I doing this! How do I leave off Audition or Night of the Hunter or Cat People or I Walk With a Zombie or Kill Baby Kill, or Susperia or... ahhhh...

Va fungu!

Here goes:

1. The Exorcist (1973)
2. Night of the Living Dead (1968)
3. The Shining (1980)
4. Jaws (1975)
5. Rosemary's Baby (1968)
6. Blair Witch Project (1999)
7. Alien (1979)
8. Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1978)
9. Halloween (1978)
10. Don't Look Now (1973)

Can you tell I'm a child of the 70s?

-Wil
Wil

Postby PohlSE » Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:19 am

Wil wrote:First off I'm pissed at the format of this. Only ten! And ranked! You must be mad.

My sentiment exactly!
PohlSE
Webmaster

Postby raasnio » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:43 pm

Slade wrote:Reading your lists is fun. It's interesting that PohlSE and Christine chose DAWN OF THE DEAD, while raasnio went for DAY OF THE DEAD. MM and Slade selected NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, probably because it changed horror forever. NIGHT was the booster shot after PSYCHO. But between DAWN and DAY, I recall DAY OF THE DEAD as being a much scarier film, though DAWN is the flick that's usually mentioned.

Am I right? It's been a while.

I think so. Night was groundbreaking in a way. Dawn gets mentioned alot, though Day, despite the smaller scale, is scarier and more dramatic.

I'm also a big fan of his new zombie films like Land of the Dead and Diary of the Dead. At times Land is my favorite.

Back to Night of the Living Dead, I have the two versions of the orignal but not the Savini remake. I prefer them in this order:

Night of the Living Dead (Millennium Edition) - Simply a new THX transfer of the original classic.

Night of the Living Dead (Tom Savini remake) - A solid remake that is very close to the original.

Night of the Living Dead (30th Anniversary Edition) - Romero's partner on this film made some changes (music and newly filmed scenes added) to it and released this version. I don't think he understood what made this film and that's why this release doesn't quite work.
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby dreab trawets » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:08 pm

As a british guy, i have to ask have you seen SHAUN OF THE DEAD?? And what did you think...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfDUv3ZjH2k

Not the best trailer quality, but still cool, and gives the flavour..
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby raasnio » Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:03 am

Shaun of the Dead was very entertaining. The two stars were even in Land of the Dead. They played some zombies.
raasnio

Postby Tautriadelta » Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:38 pm

Well here goes my list of movies that have marked me from childhood and on my way up to adulthood...
10-Opera (1985)
9 -Re-Animator (1985)
8 -Day of the Dead (1985)
7 -Halloween (1978)
6 -Suspiria (1977)
5 -The Howling (1981)
4 -Inside (2007)
3 -Deep Red (Profundo Russo 1975)
2 -Ju-On (The Grudge) (2004)

1 -The Audition (1999)
yep guess 1985 was a good year for me :wink:
you guys made me do a hell of a choice (I collect horror movies from all over the world...damn tough choices had to cut some older favorites like BloodFeast...but those are the rules hun hun...
Land of our birth,we pledge to thee
Our love and toil in the years to be;
When we are grown and take our place
As men and women of our race.
Tautriadelta

Postby raasnio » Mon Oct 05, 2009 11:45 pm

Tautriadelta wrote:Well here goes my list of movies that have marked me from childhood and on my way up to adulthood...
10-Opera (1985)
9 -Re-Animator (1985)
8 -Day of the Dead (1985)
7 -Halloween (1978)
6 -Suspiria (1977)
5 -The Howling (1981)
4 -Inside (2007)
3 -Deep Red (Profundo Russo 1975)
2 -Ju-On (The Grudge) (2004)

1 -The Audition (1999)
yep guess 1985 was a good year for me :wink:
you guys made me do a hell of a choice (I collect horror movies from all over the world...damn tough choices had to cut some older favorites like BloodFeast...but those are the rules hun hun...

Opera is probably my favorite Argento film. My copy is a special edition that I won from Fangoria. Oddly enough, Suspiria is one of his films that I never got into.

Not sure that I've ever seen Audition. I'll have to watch it at some point.
raasnio

Postby Slade » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:55 am

Tautriadelta,

I haven't seen AUDITION.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Audition_(film)

I did see DEEP RED when it came out in 1975, and recognized Argento as a master of set pieces. (I wish his actresses weren't so wooden in their performances.) I'm pleased to see you ranked it above his other films. SUSPIRIA usually gets the nod.

Slade
Slade

Postby Vcela » Thu Oct 08, 2009 2:23 am

The top ten

10. The Devil's Backbone - 2001
9. Repulsion - 1965
8. Legend of Hell House - 1973
7. Dead of Night - 1945
6. Poltergeist - 1982
5. Jaws - 1975
4. The Shining - 1980
3. The Birds - 1963
2. Alien - 1979
1. The Thing - 1982

and special mention, Gobstopper

Edit for dates.
Last edited by Vcela on Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vcela

Postby Slade » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:54 am

Vcela,

An interesting list (but it needs dates. Which THE THING? And soon there will be two DEAD OF NIGHTS).

REPULSION caused a real stir in 1965. Strong stuff then.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Repulsion

Slade
Slade

Postby Vcela » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:43 pm

Actually I didn't realize there were remakes or other movies of the same names.

I mostly chose my list based on a definitive scene in the movie that perked me up and got my attention. This was usually preceded by building suspense or unease of which I am a real fan. My favourite movies are dramatic or stylish suspense types.

A few that didn't quite make the cut are Near Dark, Fright Night, the Blob (original) and The Mist.
Vcela

Postby Mbwun » Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:51 pm

I have a difficult time coming up with top ten lists, so I'll just say that ALIEN - the first of the ALIEN films - continues to be about the scariest film I've ever seen, due to the psychological terror involved.

I'll also say that after being exposed to a few scenes from THE BIRDS when I was very young, I had nightmares for years afterwards.

And then there are Horror films that really aren't that scary, but I love them anyway - like FRIGHT NIGHT, and THE FEARLESS VAMPIRE KILLERS.

It seems that people tend to be divided as to what genres certain films belong to - some here classify ALIEN as Sci-Fi, some Horror. Some call Star Wars Fantasy, some Sci-Fi. Let's face it, there are many films that belong in several genre categories, such as LE PACT DES LOUPS - it fits into so many different genre categories. it's almost ridiculous. But I love it anyway.

But ...

I have been hearing very good things about a film called PARANORMAL ACTIVITY that's in very limited release at the moment. Anyone here seen it yet?
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby MarylandManson » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:13 pm

Mbwun wrote:It seems that people tend to be divided as to what genres certain films belong to - some here classify ALIEN as Sci-Fi, some Horror. Some call Star Wars Fantasy, some Sci-Fi. Let's face it, there are many films that belong in several genre categories...

And ain't it grand, Mbwun? Over on the sci-fi thread I mentioned Stephen King's quotable quotes from his Danse Macabre, a non-fiction look at horror. Here are some excerpts:

"The dividing line between fantasy and science fiction (for properly speaking, fantasy is what it is; the horror genre is only a subset of the larger genre) is a subject that comes up at some point at almost every fantasy or science fiction convention...

It's a trap, this matter of definition, and I can't think of a more boring academic subject...it is really a discussion of how many angels can dance on the head of a pin...

...both are works of the imagination, and both try to create worlds which do not exist, cannot exist, or do not exist yet. There is a difference, of course, but you can draw your own borderline, if you want..."

Well said!

King goes on to call Alien "a horror movie even though it is more firmly grounded in scientific projection than Star Wars." Note that the text was first published in 1981, so the comparison entails only the first two Star Wars installments. King also characterizes Star Wars as science fiction "of the E.E. 'Doc' Smith/Murray Leinster whack-and-slash school: an outer space western just overflowing with PIONEER SPIRIT [King's caps]."

But maybe that last bit belongs over on the sci-fi thread, hee hee hee...

Also, sci-fi guru Bill Warren describes Alien as "primarily a horror and suspense film."

Cheers! MM
MarylandManson
co-administrator

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-Media