10 Favorite Horror Films

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Postby EZ Rhino » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:06 pm

1. The Exorcist (1973)
2. The Evil Dead (1981)
3. An American Werewolf in London (1981)
4. Jaws (1975)
5. Grizzly (1976)
6. Drag Me to Hell (2009)
7. The Blair Witch Project (1999)
8. The Howling (1981)
9. The Ghost and the Darkness (1996)
10. The Ring (2002)
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby Slade » Thu Oct 15, 2009 11:25 pm

EZ, you've got me laughing.

How do we know you live in a genuine wilderness area, where you could actually end up as some beast's meal?

THE GHOST AND THE DARKNESS tips it!

Slade
Slade

Postby EZ Rhino » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:06 pm

Heh! Heh1!1!! Lots of teeth and claw in that list, init? No Jason. No Freddy Krueger. No Lector.
I wish the media would report more on public service and charity news instead of gossip. It is of much greater value. - Jackie Chan
EZ Rhino

Postby Mbwun » Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:10 pm

So, did they miss anyone's favourites here:

http://totalscifionline.com/features/41 ... ror-movies
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby EZ Rhino » Thu Oct 29, 2009 5:59 pm

Jeepers Creepers (2001) was genuinely scary and also mystifying as well. I thought it would be a generic battle between the young woman (Gina Phillips) and a serial killer but The Creeper turned out to be much much worse than I thought he would be. And they're filming a third installment soon I see. Good stuff!!

I might have to rethink my list above...
EZ Rhino

Postby raasnio » Thu Oct 29, 2009 8:28 pm

EZ Rhino wrote:Jeepers Creepers (2001) was genuinely scary and also mystifying as well. I thought it would be a generic battle between the young woman (Gina Phillips) and a serial killer but The Creeper turned out to be much much worse than I thought he would be. And they're filming a third installment soon I see. Good stuff!!

I might have to rethink my list above...

I don't need to. Jeepers Creepers is already on my list. :D

It's certainly one of the better horror films of the last 10 years. I enjoyed the second film, but I hope Salva makes the 3rd one more creepy like the first one.
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby Slade » Sat Oct 31, 2009 7:48 pm

What's interesting about the lists above is how some listers span the history of film going back to the 1920s, and others are creatures of the modern era.

Tonight, Halloween, Turner Classic Movies has some interesting films. I've never seen MURDERS IN THE ZOO (1933), and I hope it's the pre-Hays Code version before the jackboot of censorship came down:

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article.js ... eId=253083

If you want a good example of how censors can ruin a story, compare the squeaky-clean 1941 version of DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE...

...with the restored Freudian romp from 1932. Fredric March won the Oscar for his performance, the only horror role to win until SILENCE OF THE LAMBS...

Note how simian Hyde is in the 1932 version, and how he degenerates in evolution each time he changes.

Also, here's a chance to see CIRCUS OF HORRORS (1960), which lit the spark for DEATH'S DOOR...

During a twelve month period between April 1959 and April 1960 British filmmakers tested the boundaries of the horror film with a much stronger emphasis on sex and violence in three features often referred to as the “Sadian Trilogy” - Horrors of the Black Museum, Circus of Horrors and Peeping Tom. The latter film, directed by Michael Powell, aroused the most controversy and revulsion because Powell was a celebrated filmmaker (The Red Shoes [1948], Black Narcissus [1947]) and his choice of subject manner here deeply offended the critics to such an extent that it effectively derailed his career. While the other two films, Horrors of the Black Museum and Circus of Horrors lacked the consummate artistry of Powell’s Peeping Tom, they were nonetheless effective in shocking audiences with scenes of gory murder and erotic titillation and earning the censors’ wrath.

And then there's THE BODY SNATCHER (1945), with the one and only Boris Karloff...

Happy Halloween!

Slade
Slade

Postby Slade » Sun Nov 01, 2009 7:45 pm

1931 to 1933 marked the birth of the horror film. That's when minds were free to express their shocking thoughts without the stifling, prissy filter of the Hays Code. Note the films on this list. We wouldn't see horror like that again until Hammer Films redid the genre in the late 195Os.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pre-Code_Hollywood

Consider FRANKENSTEIN (1931):

The scene in which the monster throws the little girl into the lake and accidentally drowns her has long been controversial. As with many Pre-Code films that were reissued after strict enforcement of the Production Code in 1934, Universal made cuts from the master negative, and the deleted sequences were unseen for years. For a 1937 reissue of the film, these cuts included:

Frankenstein's line, "Now I know what it's like to be God!", was obliterated by a clap of thunder on the soundtrack.
Some footage of Frankenstein's assistant Fritz taking sadistic glee in scaring the monster by waving a lit torch near him while the monster is shackled in chains.
In the scene of the monster and the little girl tossing flowers into the lake, the second part of the scene was cut, beginning at the moment he extends his hands to pick her up.

These censored scenes were not shown for decades; in 1986, MCA-Universal restored them for home video.

1986! Now that's repression.

But as you know, my favorite is DR. JEKYLL AND MR. HYDE (1932). I watched it again on Halloween. Censors snipped eight minutes - eight minutes! - from that movie. Sit still, look at your watch, and time eight minutes.

J&H is one perverted film. It gets kinkier with each viewing. Rent the DVD and listen to the commentary. For me, the term "sex object" is defined by the Jekyll sex scene between Hopkins and March. Watch how she works him, in light of his previous clean relationship with his fiance. Then watch how Hyde mistreats her when the Freudian sex beast is released. The pawing, the drooling, and the mental torment. My, how eight minutes passes quickly!

Slade

P.S. I don't count silent films, in case you're thinking "What about THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1925)." No screams.

P.P.S. Next up, I must rewatch ISLAND OF LOST SOULS (1933). Note: The film was examined and refused a certificate three times by the British Board of Film Censors, in 1933, 1951 and 1957. Hmmmm...
Slade

Postby Hydebound » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:47 am

NOSFERATU (1922)

ISLAND OF LOST SOULS (1932)

CURSE OF THE DEMON (1957)

THE HAUNTING (1962)

WHO CAN KILL A CHILD? (1976)

THE THING (1982)

THE VANISHING (1988)

SESSION 9 (1988)

THE HYPNOTIST (1999)

CALVAIRE (2005)
Hydebound

Postby Tautriadelta » Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:47 pm

wow cool Mbwun, I'm also a big fan of Le Pacte des Loups by Christophe Gans (who also did Silent Hill)
but Le pacte des Loup is based on a true story and is a great gem of a movie :D , hope like I you have the 3 disc collector edition :)
Land of our birth,we pledge to thee
Our love and toil in the years to be;
When we are grown and take our place
As men and women of our race.
Tautriadelta

Postby Mbwun » Thu Dec 31, 2009 4:25 pm

Tautriadelta wrote:wow cool Mbwun, I'm also a big fan of Le Pacte des Loups by Christophe Gans (who also did Silent Hill)
but Le pacte des Loup is based on a true story and is a great gem of a movie :D , hope like I you have the 3 disc collector edition :)

I believe it's rather loosely based on an actual event. Yes, I do have the three disc version. I originally bought the single disc version, but after seeing how good it was, I sold that to a friend, and went back and got the three disc one.

And Future Shop, where I bought both of them, was giving away movie posters with your purchase, so I wound up with two of them. I sold one of them to someone I knew eventually too.

I also own the soundtrack CD.

As I've stated elsewhere in the past, the only thing missing from the three disc set was a mini-documentary about the creation of the soundtrack by Joseph LoDuca. Other than that, the three disc set is very comprehensive.

This is the movie poster I have:

http://alish_poster_b.tripod.com/brothe ... wolf02.jpg

Found this great website while looking for it:

http://www.freewebs.com/jimbolito87/
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Tautriadelta » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:50 pm

well yes it's based on events that took place over there but it's one theory of what it was (as it just stopped, and the victims were only women and youths).
and DOH, I'm so jealous of your poster and I also agree on your point for the mini documentary I also wish they would have done it ,it would have been such a plus...
and I loved the performance of Mark Dagasco(of the Crow t.v. series) as the indian
Land of our birth,we pledge to thee
Our love and toil in the years to be;
When we are grown and take our place
As men and women of our race.
Tautriadelta

Postby moonflee » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:56 am

Okay here I go:

10 - DEVIL'S REJECTS (2005)
9 - PSYCHO (1960)
8 - INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1978)
7 - EVIL DEAD (1979)
6 - AUDITION (1999)
5 - HALLOWEEN (1978)
4 - SILENCE OF THE LAMBS (1991)
3 - ROSEMARY'S BABY (1968)
2 - HELLRAISER (1987)
1 - THE THING (1982)
Nothing’s so loud
As hearing when we lie
The truth is not kind
And you’ve said neither am I
- toad the wet sprocket
moonflee

My Top 10

Postby i.am.sladist » Fri Jan 22, 2010 3:10 am

Let me just say it was very hard to narrow this down to 10 ...
I will not try to put them in any order, I love them all:

Freaks (1932) own it
Psycho (1960) Hitch, my man.
Alien (1979)
Invasion of the Body Snatchers (1956)
Nosferatu (1922) own it
Halloween (1978)
Halloween (2007)
Silence of the Lambs (1991)
Hellraiser (1987) Thank you Clive Barker!!!
Predator (1987)
I am Evil.
I am Woman.
I am Sladist.
i.am.sladist

Postby Slade » Thu Apr 01, 2010 5:06 pm

PSYCHO makes many of the lists above. Here's why:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/8593508.stm
Slade

PreviousNext

Return to Multi-Media