Anticipation

Sladists are media maniacs...I mean lovers. Movies, Books, Music & Sports are all here.

Re: Anticipation

Postby raasnio » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:20 am

Still haven't seen the 2nd Hobbit film. Would have, but snow and ice came and with it went any chance of a babysitter.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby Mbwun » Tue Dec 17, 2013 4:07 pm

I didn't see the first one until it came out on DVD. I only bought the standard DVD of it, so I could see the special features. Can't say I was all that blown away with it ... it just took forever to get going.

I can't even be bothered to get the extended version of it, since it doesn't look like they added nearly as much to the extended version, as they did to the extended versions of the LOTR trilogy.

I guess I'm just finding it absurd that he's making a trilogy of films based on one book that is substantially shorter in length than any of the three books in the LOTR trilogy, when he managed to make one very good film for each of them. It just makes it seem like the REAL point here is to make the maximum amount of money, and not to put out a really good film based on what is actually a children's book.
How hard can it be? - Jeremy Clarkson
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby raasnio » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:19 am

Mbwun wrote:I didn't see the first one until it came out on DVD. I only bought the standard DVD of it, so I could see the special features. Can't say I was all that blown away with it ... it just took forever to get going.

I can't even be bothered to get the extended version of it, since it doesn't look like they added nearly as much to the extended version, as they did to the extended versions of the LOTR trilogy.

I guess I'm just finding it absurd that he's making a trilogy of films based on one book that is substantially shorter in length than any of the three books in the LOTR trilogy, when he managed to make one very good film for each of them. It just makes it seem like the REAL point here is to make the maximum amount of money, and not to put out a really good film based on what is actually a children's book.

I really enjoyed The Hobbit. There are several films because Tolkien wrote many stories and they occur at certain times. The Hobbit was a standalone book, in a sense, but others stories were written that coincide with it and occur during that time frame.

I'm not a Tolkien nerd, but apparently they want this. It's a more complete version than what Hollywood would have typically gone for. Remember, they wanted LotR to be one film.
The most merciful thing in the world... is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. - H. P. Lovecraft
raasnio
techno-guru / co-administrator

Postby Mbwun » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:46 pm

If you're a fan of the film IT'S A MAD MAD MAD MAD WORLD, then The Criterion Collection has a great present for you coming out next month:

http://www.criterion.com/films/28579-it ... -mad-world

Hope this shows up in stores around here, as I really want to get it. If you own the first DVD that came out of it, with the "Something A Little Less Serious" documentary on it, you'll probably want to hold onto it, as it looks as if it's not included in this package.

Thinking seriously of special ordering three other 'similar' films from HMV to watch, as well ... THE GREAT RACE, THOSE MAGNIFICENT MEN IN THEIR FLYING MACHINES, and THOSE DARING YOUNG MEN IN THEIR JAUNTY JALOPIES (also known as MONTE CARLO OR BUST).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLm4ncFX89s
Make no mistake, this is a Supercar. Looks good .. goes fast .. nothing else matters. - Jeremy Clarkson

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby dreab trawets » Wed Mar 19, 2014 2:14 am

This is something I must see..
Somehow

Kevin Spacey to play a one hander play about Clarence Darrow
Kevin Spacey to star in one-man show http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26635880
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby Mbwun » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:01 pm

Didn't know where to put this, since the Stieg Larsson thread seems to have been deleted.

Looks as if the unfinished manuscript Stieg left behind when he died is going to print.

http://time.com/3685678/stieg-larsson-d ... -not-kill/

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby Mbwun » Thu Feb 12, 2015 4:51 pm

This looks like it might have promise. I wonder what Steely would have thought?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2xexvp_4uw

AMBITIOUS, BUT RUBBISH!
Mbwun

Postby dreab trawets » Fri Feb 20, 2015 6:00 pm

An old Sherlock mystery is found in a attic..
http://mashable.com/2015/02/20/lost-she ... -main-link

It's called Sherlock Holmes: Discovering the Border Burghs and, by deduction, the Brig Bazaar.
“After my head has been chopped off, will I still be able to hear, at least for a moment , the sound of my own blood gushing from my neck? That would be the best pleasure to end all pleasure. “
dreab trawets

Location: like someone had combined shrimp and tomato soup and then forgot to put the lid on the blender

Postby dreab trawets » Sat Mar 07, 2015 11:49 am

Another one for the guv'nor

Spooks / Mi-5 film

http://m.digitalspy.co.uk/movies/s120/s ... Zlzdq47Mwh
dreab trawets

Previous

Return to Multi-Media